It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen charged with felony for e-mails threatening Bush

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
When I was 13, way back in the day, I certainly knew it was illegal to threaten, however vaguely, the POTUS. The Secret Service are famous for their lack of anything even resembling a sense of humour, I would imagine this applies especially to the Presidents Security Unit, or whatever they are called. This silly, borderline stupid, child will probably get the mmm-hmmm scared out of him, then he'll get released. Then later in life, when the President comes to town again, he will notice that strange looking sedans might drive by his home. He is forever marked by the Secret Service as a potential threat to their principle. For every action there is a reaction.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Let me get this straight:
The kid knew it was wrong but he didn't know it was illegal. If he had known it was illegal, he would have known he would be caught.

So he went ahead and did it, because he knew that we only catch people that do illegal things, not wrong things?

And people are worried "what this experience is going to teach this kid about authority..."

I'd be more concerned about helping the kid to work out those feelings of anger that cause him to threaten people. For his own sake.

originally posted by Kruel
Threaten the president, go to jail.

Threaten any average person, nothing.

Boy it's nice to have power, isn't it?!

Just because Bush is prez doesn't make him any more special of a human being than anyone else.

Guess what? It was against the law to threaten the president long before Bush came along. And you're wrong about threatening an average person; that can land you behind bars, fyi.

It's just too bad that all teenagers don't get the same level of sympathy that I see here.

originally posted by ferretman2
It is against the law to threaten the life of POTUS, VPOTUS & any possible sucessors. The President has nothing to do with the investigation. All threats to POTUS, etc. are automatically handled by the Secret Service. So don't be stupid and spout pure nonsense. Did any of you go to school? Do any of you know how the government works? Because by some of your comments, it doesn't show.

Exactly.
Only don't stop there. Make sure you include judges and others that don't take threats too lightly. It seems to me there was a discussion about SJO recently where people were aghast at perceived threats against her and others.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
that s the way to go , the president is the leader of the nation and its face and if you go ahead and do such things you don't like your nation and you are a enemy of the state.
and are better of in a nation like iran or north korea.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
He DID NOT threaten the president!

A 13-year-old boy initially accused by police of threatening President Bush in an e-mail did not directly threaten the president, a police captain said.

The middle school student was charged with threatening a school in an e-mail that also was sent to the White House.

Source

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Let me get this straight:
The kid knew it was wrong but he didn't know it was illegal.

I have no idea what the kid knew.

If he had known it was illegal, he would have known he would be caught.

Not necessarily. People knowingly do illegal things all the time, thinking they won't get caught.

So he went ahead and did it, because he knew that we only catch people that do illegal things, not wrong things?

I can see why you're puzzled, as that logic makes no sense to me whatsoever. But then, I didn't say that at all.
But people don't get arrested for doing wrong things. Only if they're illegal.

And people are worried "what this experience is going to teach this kid about authority..."

Yes, people are.
Getting arrested and charged with a felony is a pretty impactful event for your average 13-year-old. I don't know a lot about this situation, but I would think it could have been handled by the parents and the school without bringing the law into it.

Again, I don't know enough about this situation. Could be the kid has a past of threatening people and is a trouble maker. He might be a real threat to his school. But if not, an arrest is over the top, IMO. People, adults, threaten each other all the time and don't end up arrested. The only reason this kid got arrested is because he sent it to the White House. But stupid isn't against the law.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

Another thread where it seems intelligence is lacking.

It is against the law to threaten the life of POTUS, VPOTUS & any possible sucessors.

:sigh:

Another poster who doesn't bother to read the thread.

1. The so-called "threats" were "veiled" and "vague" - there were no threats.

2. The so-called threats were made against the school - not the President.

Threats now called vague

Police: Teen made no direct threat against president

Teen's e-mails 'veiled threat'

ENOUGH.

President Bush: STOP TERRORIZING OUR CHILDREN. Just end it. In America, Iraq, Iran, Venezuela. Everywhere.

PS. Not every problem can be solved with nukes and guns and heavy ammunition. In fact, pulling out the heavy ordnance usually creates more problems than it solves.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Kids these days are more street smart than they were 20 years ago.

If he sent threatening EMAILS then he needs to understand how
serious a thing it is. Just slapping him on his wrist and saying 'bad boy'
won't teach him anything. This IS serious business.

This is a good reminder to everyone. It's NOT LEGAL to threaten
people in EMAILS and it's not legal to threaten people online.

BTW - IMHO the 'he knew it was wrong but he didn't know it was illegal'
excuse doesn't fly. If you know something is wrong but you do it anyways
then you are guilty. Period.

[edit on 3/30/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

This is a good reminder to everyone. It's NOT LEGAL to threaten
people in EMAILS and it's not legal to threaten people online.

1. The so-called "threats" were "veiled" and "vague" - there were no threats.

2. The vague and veiled so-called threats that were not threats were made against the school - not the President.

.....Ever seen the movie Minority Report? That's what's going on here. And that's what's so scary. In fact, it's terrorism.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
.....Ever seen the movie Minority Report?

No I haven't. Is it new and available for rent?
What's the basic plot?

BTW - off topic - soficrow ... EXCELLENT work on the birdflu info!!

[edit on 3/30/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

If you know something is wrong but you do it anyways
then you are guilty. Period.

Yes, but guilty of a crime? Deserving arrest?

That's my only point with that whole line of thought. There's a difference between "wrong" and "illegal".

I'm not making excuses for anyone, just pointing out the difference. Again and again.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

posted by Lady of the Lake: “A 13-year-old boy has been charged with a felony for sending two e-mails threatening President George W. Bush ahead of his upcoming visit to Cincinnati, Ohio . . The way of the brave New World . . “ [Edited by Don W]

Come on Secret Service, grow up! Where's your sense of humor? Let NSA take a rest. Just who is the chump in this case? Sweet Jesus, look what the irrational fear of Osama inspired by the War on Terrorism has done to America! All in the name of security. And I thought this was the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave?

I have been an advocate of caning since I heard about the graffiti painting American in Singapore. Some “crimes” could best be dealt with by caning. Six swats across a bare butt would go far to stopping petty acts we have made into serious crimes that can spoil a person's future. And save millions of hard earned tax dollars every week.

By the by. If the person administering the swats is lax or perceived as going easy, the swatter must exchange places with the person being caned (swattee) who gets to finish the cane swatting. This assures manly swatting. I'd guess it is about 48 hours before the swattee can sit down. Just enough time to re-think his offending conduct, and probably resolve not to do it again.

[edit on 3/30/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
Just because Bush is prez doesn't make him any more special of a human being than anyone else.

Yes, it does. We can't allow people to go around threatening the President of the United States.

-- Boat

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

President Bush: STOP TERRORIZING OUR CHILDREN. Just end it. In America, Iraq, Iran, Venezuela. Everywhere.

Um...

President Bush is not "terrorizing" children. Please, take a "chill pill".

-- Boat

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
:shk:

There was no threat against the POTUS. An email that supposedly contained terroristic threats against a school was sent to the White House - that's the situation.

All that being said, 13 is not too young to learn the law of consequence. In fact, it's the perfect age. I'm sure he'll know better next time. Or he won't, and he'll get more than a slap on the wrist.

I have a decidedly negative opinion of the POTUS, and indeed his entire family, but I know better than to put myself and my family at risk by communicating with the freaks directly. Also, making threats isn't funny. The sooner he learns that, the better.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   

.....Ever seen the movie Minority Report?

No I haven't. Is it new and available for rent?
What's the basic plot?

It's around, not that new. Excellent movie. Tom Cruise starring, if you care. About a system where people are arrested before they commit murder because there is evidence they will commit the crime in the future....

Concept fits here, also with genetic profiling.

BTW - off topic - soficrow ... EXCELLENT work on the birdflu info!!

Thanks.

Added idea

[edit on 30-3-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Concept fits here

Ummmm, ok.
Movie- arresting people for future murders based on pregognition.

Reality- arresting someone for making a threat- after they actually made a threat.

I can see how the concept fits.

[edit on 30/3/06 by Skibum]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just one thing. Most of you are GRAVELY underestimating a 13 year old boy. You're all acting like he's 2. "can't even hold/aim a gun" etc. My 13 year old brother can beat any 25 year old at a 1st person shooter at the arcade hands down. Most 13 year olds can hold an intelligent, sustained conversation with an adult, at more or less their level. By thirteen the only thing stopping a kid doing the things most adults can do is maturity, muscle strength, not actually being an adult and size most likely.

You need to re-evaluate your mental image of a 13 year old. Many americans have a pistol in their homes, many children secretly know where they are.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Shadow88]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skibum

Concept fits here

Ummmm, ok.
Movie- arresting people for future murders based on pregognition.

Reality- arresting someone for making a threat- after they actually made a threat.

I can see how the concept fits.

[edit on 30/3/06 by Skibum]

Read the thread.

No threats were made - they were extrapolated from "vague" and "veiled" statements. I read it as legal action by precognition.

I do NOT think this kid should have been ignored - and yes, a good talking to certainly was in order.

But what actually happened was waaayyyy out of proportion to the "offense."

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
You need to re-evaluate your mental image of a 13 year old. Many americans have a pistol in their homes, many children secretly know where they are.

You're right. There is even a history of teens causing quite a bit of trouble, including slaughter.

All I'm saying is that we don't know enough about this particular situation to accurately assess the situation. I don't have any trouble at all with the boy learning a lesson about threatening people.
I'm just not convinced that 5 years behind bars is going to teach it.

Prank Leads to Felony Charge

"He said, 'Well, I was just messing around, just kidding around. I wasn't really serious about it,'" Claggett said.

The FBI and Secret Service agents interviewed the teen at his home and took a computer for further analysis.

Although police said it appears the teen also made a very veiled threat toward a school in general, "the threat in no way implied any action directed toward the students or faculty at Ockerman Middle School," according to a news release.

Claggett sent home a letter to parents explaining the situation.

The teen has been removed from the school and could be sentenced to five years in prison, although authorities said his age will be a factor.

He has been charged with a terroristic threat for making a very veiled threat that in no way implied any direct action against the school.

What did he say? "This place sucks"? I can't wait to find out exactly what this kid said that's gotten him charged with "terroristic threatening" whatever that is...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
A 13 year old is still a child, no need to take him so seriously. Maybe Bush is afraid he's part of Al Quaida

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join