It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies where you can see classic aircraft

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:34 AM
link   
MODS please delete, duplicated posting.

Thank you.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Englishman_in_Spain]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Truth be told they are not actually Messerschmitt Bf 109's at all, but Hispano Buchon's which was of course, as you describe, a Spanish built Bf-109 with Merlin, or Hispan Suiza, power. The original engines of the Bf 109 weren't radial though, they were liquid cooled, just the same as the Merlin, but were 'inverted', if you look at a genuine 109 you will see that the exhaust ejectors are mounted low on the nose while anything with a Merlin has them high up.

The same is true of the He 111's in the film, they are CASA C.2111's and are also Merlin powered, both types were available in large numbers because they were only recently retired by the Spanish Air Force.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
speaking of BBC productions, if you guys have never seen the mini-series "piece of cake", you should really click on the BBC website and purchase it. it follows one squadron of spitfires from just before the german invasion of poland to the end of the battle of britian. great flying scenes and very well put together story. check it out!

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The best has to be top gun... I just love those F-14... My history teacher told me that there was some fault with that battle of britain... Something with the german fighters... that they didn't fly like that or something... you ever head of that...

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They flew in vic 3 formation in the movie whereas in real life the Luftwaffe (and then the RAF after them) flew finger four, maybe thats it?

I saw Piece of Cake and agree with you, the scene where the pilot was showing off and flew under the bridge (like a similar scene in the Blue Max only this time with Spitfires and a lower bridge) was fantastic.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
That's interesting... but about those Me 109... Did they fly that steep, and did they drop their bombs just like int he movie...??

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Bf 109's didn't carry bombs in the BoB, either in real life or the movie. They had enough trouble reaching Britain without being loaded with bombs.

Maybe you are confusing them with the Ju-87's that are shown bombing the radar stations? Yes, that is an accurrate depiction of how they flew, hence the name 'dive bomber'.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I Recommend DARK BLUE WORLD aka Tmavomodrý svet (or Pilviin piirretty for Fighter Master
)

It's a story of czech fighter pilots in RAF, flying looks good and i assume most of it real too... It has really cool scene of a Spitfires attacking a train.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Where can I downlaod it northwolf...??

waynos... it is possible... Since I didn't see the whole movie, only bits it is possible I remeber wrong... So they really flew that steep, and dropped their bombs just before they lifter the nose up...??

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Yes, its really true FIN, look here

here s relevant passage;

The Stuka first flew in 1935. It was perfectly suited for its role of tactical precision dive bomber. It was equipped with many dedicated special features, the important "small details" of design that make one aircraft much better than another. The Stuka had a dedicated autopilot system that automatically brought it to a dive when the pilot extracted the dive breaks, prevented damaging pilot stirring during the dive while not limiting the pilot's ability to aim, and then automatically pulled the aircraft out of the dive and back to level flight when the bomb was dropped. Since the G-suit was not yet invented then, pilots could temporarily lose consciousness because of the high G force during the pull out of the fast near-vertical dive, and crash to the ground, but the autopilot prevented that from happening.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
AAh... and that (strange) sound came the propeller rotated (when the plane was in a very steep angle)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join