It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Council sets a 30 day deadline

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Iran given 30 days to cooperate with IAEA on nuclear program

Thursday, March 30, 2006; Posted: 12:49 a.m. EST (05:49 GMT)

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council has unanimously called on Iran to suspend uranium enrichment activities within 30 days and cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency, the U.N. nuclear watchdog.

Bolton said he did not want to predict what the response of Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad would be. But he expressed hope that the Iranian people would read the statement "so they can consider what dangers their government is putting them into."

"Libya made the decision that they were safer, better off, giving up the pursuit of nuclear weapons than continuing to pursue them," he said. "I think the people of Iran understand that logic. Now we'll see whether their government understands it."

www.cnn.com...

No comment, just to inform you.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Well, time is almost up. Iran needs to do the right thing.

Withdrawn from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty and develop their nukes legally.

Vas

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I'd say stop the whole uranium enrichment process and give the task to Russia. If Iran really had the purpose to use its nuclear power for innocent purposes they would already have done this weeks/months ago.Obviously they have other plans with their program.

Let we all hope the Iranian government change their minds before something catastrophic happens.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Well boys and girls get your self armed!!!Only about 30 days till its all will start!!!

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 3/30/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by swesais
Well boys and girls get your self armed!!!Only about 30 days till its all will start!!!

Armed against what? If you prefer to write such a childish message, please specify.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
IAEA. Warning Iran to submit to suspend uranium enrichment.

And what'll happen when the 30 days are up? More sanctions will be placed?

Not much of a threat is it. I bet U.S are supporting whatever IAEA said on this one especially when it's something that are of their interest.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Thats what I was going to say - what happens when the 30 days are up?.

Iran seems determined to go ahead with their plans whatever anyone else
thinks about them.

They are feeling victmised over this I'm sure. Why were India, Pakistan and
others allowed to produce weapons when Iran is not.

I personally don't want to see Iran getting hold of weapons but I can understand their point of view.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Well here we go again

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
30 more days is just giving us more time so i would like to thank IAEA/U.N. for that. This also will be another joke for China and Russia--- wonder how many times they both said to Bolton no UNSC will be taken towards Iran

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
You might be right Mehran, we'll see.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If you're trying to say, Mehran, that other nations are deterring military force in dealing with the situation, then you are right. The article states that Russia, China, and European players do not support an attack on Iran's Nuclear facilities. The article goes on to state that Russia, which provided Iran with the technology in the first place, does have suspicions over the events taking place. The same is true for Europe, China, and North America.

I can appreciate Iran's position. From a purely idealistic position, I would not want to be pushed around by the "big guys" while trying to start a program which would benefti the country. Realistically, Iran must take a half step back from it's radical tangent. The rest of the world has been nothing but moderate with Iran, while your president spouts radicalism. Give in to a transparent nuclear energy system, and your standing will be much higher in the world than if you continued it unabated.

The last thing I'll say is that I am completely against any kind of military action to be taken against Iran. The last century has shown the any meddling in the self determination of Middle Eastern/Arabian/Persian nations will result in an equal and opposite reaction. Diplomacy is the way, and it requires sacrifices by both sides. Iran has been given a chance to play with the 'big guys'. Prove to us and the world that Iran can provide stability, sympathy, and civil rights for humans of all race and creed. At that point, you can be trusted to safeguard nuclear weapons in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Iran Defiantly Rejects New U.N. Demands

BERLIN (AP) -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice warned Iran on Thursday the "international community is united" in the dispute over its nuclear program, but a Tehran envoy defiantly rejected a U.N. call to reimpose a freeze on uranium enrichment.

Rice spoke after a meeting in Berlin among diplomats from the five veto-wielding members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany over ways to press Iran to stop enriching uranium, which can be used for weapons. Iran says its program is peaceful.

I hope for your sake Mehran you don’t live near anything important....

I think Iran is suffering from two fatal diseases:

#1 Government miss understanding of its place in the world

and

#2 Fatal a case of overconfidence

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Don't think Iran will do anything to be honest. They can see this is a hollow threat by the UNSC. Russia and China wouldn't even support this demand without all suggestion of the possibility of potential sanctions removed first! So obviously they'll never agree to actual sanctions if they won't even consider using just the mention of them as a threat

I think this suits the US tho. They know that China and Russia will never agree - but at least this lets them bomb Iran and be able to say "hey, we tried the diplomatic route first!". I'm sure this will bolster public opinion if they do decide to attack.

And before anybody starts, we're not talking about a full-scale invasion here. That is not going to happen in a million years - not even with a draft. We're talking about bombing that will knock Iran back a couple of decades. And no, I don't think Iran will retaliate in any major way. They'll just brag that their nuclear program was untouched by the bombs and then show some rubble that was an "orphanage" or "hospital" hit by the evil Americans...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I realize that we will not invade Iran and occupy the country. Even the White House must realize that by now (Right?!
)The only point I'm trying to make, is that there are people down there. People just like your best friend, your parents, yourself. They are misguided and, as skippy said, mistaken of their place on the global hierarchy. We cannot allow them to develop nuclear weapons at this point in time.
I am hopeful that Russia and China will come to a consensus on forcing transparency in Iran. I cannot condone going in and "knocking them back a few decades". What happens a few decades down the road, when they make a new bid to get on the world stage? Will they bow to the whim of the ever-knowledgable, peaceful and wise West?
The only way to solve a problem like this for the long term is through diplomacy.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I hope for your sake Mehran you don’t live near anything important....

I think Iran is suffering from two fatal diseases:

#1 Government miss understanding of its place in the world

and

#2 Fatal a case of overconfidence

Maybe its the USA who needs to be shown its place in the world, unless you want another 9/11 to straighten you out?

Overconfidence... Coming from an American? Now thats damm funny. How long did Bush predict Iraq would last? How much of Baghdad are you able to keep secure, let alone all the other vast areas of Iraq...

Its funny because those two points you noted will be the downfull of the USA, you think you are better then everyone else, which means your country will always be in some conflict, and your blind bullheaded overconfidence will mean that the "terrorists" AQ and co will wipe the floor with you once they get a chance.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGoodDoctorFunk
I realize that we will not invade Iran and occupy the country. Even the White House must realize that by now (Right?!
)The only point I'm trying to make, is that there are people down there. People just like your best friend, your parents, yourself. They are misguided and, as skippy said, mistaken of their place on the global hierarchy. We cannot allow them to develop nuclear weapons at this point in time.
I am hopeful that Russia and China will come to a consensus on forcing transparency in Iran. I cannot condone going in and "knocking them back a few decades". What happens a few decades down the road, when they make a new bid to get on the world stage? Will they bow to the whim of the ever-knowledgable, peaceful and wise West?
The only way to solve a problem like this for the long term is through diplomacy.

While I agree, the problem here is time. If Iran is indeed stalling and developing "the bomb" then time is running out to do something about it. Within the next couple of years we will reach a point where the US/Israel feel they have to act. I think Russia and China could well be the key to this, as you say, but they need to get their backsides in gear. Russia has tried to do business with Iran on this by offering to let them enrich uranium on Russian soil (a good plan) but Iran wouldn't take the trust-inducing step of suspending their current program and working towards a deal. Russia should at least try to come off the fence a little and pressure Iran - but they won't even entertain the idea of sanctions. Not very helpful.

I think we've been more than fair with Iran. They lied about their nuclear research for nearly 20 years and still won't comply with the IAEA. They may as well just withdraw from the NPT now - it's what they've effectively done anyway. They've been offered deals and incentives and they still won't budge - despite everybody telling them they're free to have civilian nuclear energy if they wish....as long as they're transparent and regain the trust of the international community first. They don't seem interested.

I agree we should carry on down the diplomatic route for now. But if Iran won't budge after this 30 days then Russia and China need to get tough. Otherwise it makes a mockery of the UNSC.....how is it supposed to function if the key members have conflicting business interests

There needs to be an official UN resolution after the 30 days - or the USA/Israel are free to do what they like in my opinion.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Curio]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
the UN is the enemy of freedom
like the proverbial WOLF in SHEEPS clothing.

only the brainwashed and the uninformed
still think them worthy of continued existence.

I see this as sabre rattling
or more precisely
a psy-ops [ a set-up ]

we shall see what these
nincompoops bring in due time

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
what are they going to do after 30 days. I remember this a few months ago where the U.N. gaved us the same offer saying you got the same amount of time to reply or else, which infact nothing happened at all. The best they could do is place sanctions * which may i add two countries you should know about China and Russia
*. *shrugs* ouch please no more sanctions! like we haven't had enough printed papers filed to Iran by the US

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Mehran]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mehran
what are they going to do after 30 days. I remember this a few months ago where the U.N. gaved us the same offer saying you got the same amount of time to reply or else, which infact nothing happened at all. The best they could do is place sanctions * which may i add two countries you should know about China and Russia
*. *shrugs* ouch please no more sanctions!. It is ruining our economy and the country

Im glad this is all a joke to you, because it’s not to the rest of the world.

Your people are going to face much suffering as the result of your government’s hard line stance on nuclear weapons.

I hope you live through the consequences of your leaders actions...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

Originally posted by Mehran
*. *shrugs* ouch please no more sanctions!. It is ruining our economy and the country

Im glad this is all a joke to you, because it’s not to the rest of the world.

Your people are going to face much suffering as the result of your government’s hard line stance on nuclear weapons.

I hope you live through the consequences of your leaders actions...

oh no i am so scared. what happend to that air-strike on march.20 skippy?. the one you were so happey to talk about and the known feeling you had which you thought it will be the end of our nuclear program.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join