It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsar Tank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Okay, I ran across this old relic from World War 1 while browsing the internet, and my God, is this thing strange.

It was Russia's first battle tank, the Tsar Tank. It had two huge wheels in the front(obviously). It was, as many of you veteran military buffs can tell, very impractical. It never saw combat, primarily because its tiny rear wheels kept getting stuck in the mud.

But overall, probobly one of the weirdest military vehicles ever made.

www.answers.com... - More detailed info on it. =P

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Nice pic Kacen

What a creature! late 19th-century battleship design combined with farming equipment...

And what a target! No way I'd ride that thing out into no-man's-land...

weird.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I was actually reading an article on Wikipedia about the largest nuclear bomb ever detonated on wikipedia that linked to this article. The Russians have a knack for making huge weapons, not neccessarily for their practibility, but more propoganda fodder.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
^ Ah yes, I read that same article. It said the shockwaves could be felt even in Finland from that bomb.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
That is true, like that one super plane they made.

They even make overly big and impratical junk in movies (red october).

Like the super tank nazis try to make near the end of WW2, 100 tons or so, 3 prototypes.

Real tools work better then fake ones, if it is a simple pet project/experiement or a couple protypes. Its worth as much as something someone draws in a science fiction thing.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
that's gotta be the dumbest idea out there talk about an easy target.

soldier1:yo check out that weird vehicle
soldier 2:lets shoot at it with a preadtor
soldier 1
k

kaboom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there goes the TSAR.

no wonder they didnt make it.

lol imagine how it would do against IEDS!
good thing they didnt make it stupid idea if they did.
i love these smiley faces what a riot.

[edit on 1-4-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If it were not for that rear whell that gets stuck in mud that thing might actually work against infantry. AFAIK there aren't infantry carried anti-tank weapons in WWI. All they have are rifles.

But then since it's so big even artillery can hit it directly. Not as good as Britain's tank.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
agreed its too big of a atrget britains tank was better. The artiller y would shred it to pieces.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
That thing looks like it's straight from the recent star wars movies LOL.

Nice find! truly the most bizzare hardware i've ever seen!

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
that'd probabaly where they got the hellfire drid diea from lol awesome i was wondering where george lucas got his ideas from.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yes it is a very weird looking tank but it is also very impractical. First look at the limited angle of the guns, and also how do you steer that thing, or does it just go straight?? With those wheels position in that fashion I’d image it would be very bad for crossing wide trenches.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yes it is a very weird looking tank but it is also very impractical. First look at the limited angle of the guns, and also how do you steer that thing, or does it just go straight?? With those wheels position in that fashion I’d image it would be very bad for crossing wide trenches.

You would steer that tank like you would most modern tanks.

Although this Tsar Tank does not have treads, I would venture a guess that the front wheels would be equipped with differential brakes, one wheel slows down, another speeds up, and you get a turn.

That is how Modern tanks turn on treads after all.

But still impractical as stated before.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Ummm, wasn't that out of the show dads army? lol

Nice find anyway

top topics

join