It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Security Systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Do any of you have any experience or ideas concerning building a home security system from scratch? I don't mean brinks. I mean real home security: a central computer running everything, fingerprint biometrics, infrared security cameras, visible light security cameras, as well as every minute of video recorded being converted to digital format and compressed on a cd or dvd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have built quite a few security systems from scratch. But not the video and fingerprint stuff.
Light beams and motion sensors are easy, the main box uses a latching relay circuit with a key switch or numeric keypad.
Controlling it all from a computer is also pretty easy, especially if you use the parallel port to connect it all.
I can elaborate if you need me to, circuit diagrams and web pages that talk about it all.
I love this stuff!

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Please elaborate. I need to be walked through this process. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Do you have any electronics experience?
My circuits are very basic, but they are also very "hard" ie, not prone to false alarms or anything like that.
Knowing how much experience you have with "electrical things" will be the deciding factor in how I answer you.
I'm going to get some sleep now, but I'll check in the morning first thing.
Take care.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have very little experience. If you hit the high spots I can probably look through the material and learn it fast enough.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Parts List:
R1 = 56K
D1,D2 = 1N4001
Q1 = 2N3904
Ry = Relay, 12V
S1 = Momentary break (normally closed)
This relay driver is Self-Latching which means that once it activates it will remain in that state until S1 is pressed and momentarily disrupts power to the latch.

This circuit uses very little power when on. You could use batteries to power it and only use the mains to keep the batteries charged.
It would be the base for whatever other things you wanted to add to your system like a light beam or motion sensors, window and door switches.

All the parts should be available at Radio Shack, shouldn't cost much either.
The computer interface is quite a bit more technical than this circuit. Not a simple thing to build.
Do you want me to post it anyway?

[edit on 3/30/2006 by Beer_Guy]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Great. Please post the computer interface. I have a programmer friend who can do whatever I need. He grams in the new visual basic.net. I'll just drop him some cash. Seems like a good project for the next month.

Is the computer interface very powerful?

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So is R1=1/2 watt carbon film resistor
D1/D2=Micro 1A Diodes
Q1=NPN Small Signal Transistor
R1=Lighted toggle switch or dpdt plug in relay and sock
Cant find info on momentary break

The parts all seemed to be very inexpensive on radio shacks website. I wonder though is all this stuff sautered to a board. Probably stupid question but, I don't know. Also what kind of cable is used to connect the parts?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
S1 is a simple normally closed pushbutton switch. In it's normal state, it's "on", when you push it it's "off". When you lift your finger after pushing it's "on" again.
I'll get the parallel port interface stuff ready and post it this evening.
You can use this interface to turn on/off damn near anything with the right relay installed. Right now I'm using it to control my hydroponic system. Turns the lights on and off, turns on the pumps 5 times a day, and turns on a fan a few times a day too.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'll try to pick up the supplies this weekend at radio shack. Don't be in a hurry to post the rest as I am leaving town for the weekend and won't be able to check ATS until sunday night or monday night.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Your friend should be able to figure this all out:
This is a pdf file, it explains the interface board and has a few pics and tips.
www.cindysplantsnstuff.com... 41k
A picture of the finished board:

A shareware program that can control it all if you use timing and schedules at all.
www.cindysplantsnstuff.com... 3255k
Relay runner is shareware, if I remember correctly it will control 8 relays "as-is", if you need more than 8 relays you have to buy the program. It's pretty good, the help files explain everything.
I didn't write any of these files, this is what I got when I searched for the stuff I needed. It all helped me a lot, I hope it can help you too.
Good luck!
Send me a message if you need any help.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Got all the materials on your list plus a board and a dual heat soldering iron for about 30 dollars.

Now I'm not sure how to read the layout completely.

This runs on a 12V battery? Think I will practice with the soldering iron a little.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Arius, I sent you a U2U with my e-mail address in case you need any assistance.
A 12v car battery will last for days if the power goes out. It's a good choice.

new topics

top topics

join