It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blacking out words and ripping out pages.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
In my English class our english techer has forced us to black out words, i.e. masterbation. Then as i was reading further ahead in the book a prevous class had to take out a page that had a sex sence on it. If a middle school allowed its 8th graders to read Brave New World why can't a High school allow its students to read Veronika Decides To Die in it whole. Does any one know what i can do to correct this unjust censorship?
also im dislexic so get over my spelling mistakes lol

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Start with your teacher, work your way up to the principal, and if that doesn't work, take it to the school board. Ask your parents for backing, support and advice. Ask if the book is accepted by the school as a teaching aid, and if it is, why the censorship of words?

JDub

[edit on 3/29/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Its a really good book, im at an alterative school...i don't think the pto cares...lol its kinda sad the other high schools here ingore us... and i believe the teacher said something about ot being unapropreite, but in my mind if your going to read a book you need to read a book it like reading manga backwards

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
BlueTileSpook had a good idea on how to approach the issue. Maybe you can get a petition signed by other students and teachers that agree with you.

The approach should be, why even have the book in the classroom if you are being told to edit and censor portions of it?

Above all, keep your cool, and approach it like an adult. You'll get much more good attention that way.

Good luck!

top topics

join