It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global warming - Move the ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It occurs to me that global warming is a reality, and chunks of ice keep floating off the coast of Greenland, clogging shipping lanes, and rising the level of the ocean. Now, even if we find solutions to pollution, the proposed cause of global warming, what do we do with all the ice in the meantime? Would it be possible to cut the ice down into manageable chunks and ship these chunks of fresh water to places that are experiencing drought, such as Africa, and irrigate fields? It might help alleviate some of the clogging of shipping lanes, the rise of ocean levels, and feed the starving by irrigating crops.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i dont know if the ice would have chance to melt and be absorbed into the gound, wouldnt it just evaporate in that heat?
good idea tho, if it could b done it would solve a lot of problems.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It would have to be piped into certain area, and the ice would have to be kept frozen until needed. Someone could make a huge industry out of it if they had the means. Seems like we're spending alot on iceberg wrangling and moving oil rigs out of the way, so might be able to make it cost effective. Big idea though. Would take someone with alot of resources, like a government.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
i think it would probably take a few governments, the countrys that would benefit from this are so poor. look at the african countrys most of there govenments are corupt as well. Give them the money to do it , it would end up getting spent on weapons and allsorts.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It's the planets largest reserve of fresh water. Seems a shame to let it go to waste. Might be able to use the steam from it melting to create power too. Would be interest to see what's under the ice too. I think giant ice cubes could be cut out with lasers, and then special ships could transport the water to anywhere on earth. We spend alot to help feed those in Africa, and dig wells. Seems a better way might be to irrigate crops, effectively making Africa into a giant crop producing nation.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't understand what the ruckus is about. Does this not boil down to water displacement?

Fill a glass of water, and put a cube of ice in it.
Mark the current liquid level.
Let the ice fully melt, is the liquid level not the same?

I'm not saying I'm missing anything possibly obvious - just seems logical.

Spock Out

NN

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I don't think so, because ice doesn't evaporate. Until the ice gets in the ocean, which it eventually will at the rate it's melting, it isn't causing any displacement, since most of the ice sits on a land mass.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thats true for the arctic, but what about the antarctic? Isnt that ice covering a land mass.
so if the ice melts there it can only add to the sea level?

top topics

join