It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

two icons that need deletion...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i have two icons that i cannot delete...

one is a folder and one is a program icon...

it says that they are in use, but they are definitely not...

how could i delete them???

thanks...

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
They are not being shared on a P2P program? If they are and someone is downloading them you will not be able to delete them until you sever the download connection.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Are you logged in with administrative rights?

Try changing the name of both and attempting to delete if you do have administrative rights.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
i do have admin rights...

i will try both suggestions...

thanks...

EDIT:

also, how can i turn off programs that i don't want starting up when windows starts up???

i knew how to do it before but i forgot...

i think i have to go to "start" then "run" and then type something???

thanks...

[edit on 29-3-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
i think i have to go to "start" then "run" and then type something???
Type msconfig then click the "startup" tab.
Does WinXP have DOS? In DOS you can delete anything. LOL

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
If they are normally in use, you may be able to boot to 'safe' mode and delete them.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by NotClever]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Sometimes this technique works:

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete or right click on the taskbar and choose 'Task Manager'

2. Choose the 'Processes' tab and kill the 'explorer.exe' process. This will make all open folders and the taskbar disappear.

3. Select 'File' then 'New Task (Run...)' from the menu in the Task Manager and type 'explorer' without the quotes. Press 'Ok'. The taskbar will appear again.

4. Try deleting the file again.

The advantage of this method is that you don't need to restart the computer. But if that doesn't work try the 'Safe Mode' method.

To get into safe mode, do the following:

1. Restart the computer and watch the screen carefully.

2. After the screen that says 'Detecting IDE drives' or something to that effect (IDE ATAPI CD/DVD...etc.), the screen will display a table that shows your devices, RAM, IRQ assignments and all that gobledegook. Press the 'F8' key (repeatedly so you don't miss the window of opportunity) at this critical moment before the computer shows the Windows loading screen with the moving scroll thingy at the bottom of the logo.

3. A menu will come up with all kinds of boot options. Choose the 'safe mode' option or the 'directory services restore' option (I never figured out what the difference is)

4. Once Windows has loaded a popup will appear asking you whether you want to proceed to safe mode or use system restore. Choose 'Yes' for safe mode, 'No' for system restore.

5. Try deleting the file. Shouldn't be a problem at this point.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Beachcoma]

top topics

join