Web Sites Listed as 'Terror' Groups

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Not much to say about this one. It's a clear and present danger to free speech. I think the caveat is coordination, if a site coordinates among people classified as terrorists then the whole site goes down. That's interesting because then the Internet is a terrorist organization because it is used to coordination among terrorists. Funny how stretching defintions makes them almost useless for defining....

How long until ATS says

"Error 404: Refer to Federal Register list at DHS"

"Under U.S. law, it would be illegal to provide money or other material support to the designated Web sites, the people who run them could be denied U.S. visas and U.S. banks must block their funds. The State Department said it was yet clear how this would work in practice."

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20031010/ts_nm/security_internet_groups_dc

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Very interesting article!

I notice that there is no mention of the criteria used to classify a website as affiliated with terrorists. I also note that there is no provision to dispute such listing.

I agree, a clear assault on freedom of speech.

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Foreign Terrorist Organizations January 30, 2003
www.state.gov...

I don't see any web sites here:
" October 2, 2003, the following organizations as foreign terrorist organizations:...."
www.usdoj.gov...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Shyte!!!,

Seems like i have to tone it down a bit..

Or else ATS will get US gov. ban..

There goes the freedom of speech..

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I quote in part from:
www.hri.org...
taken from
www.usia.gov...

"Legal Criteria for Designation

The organization must be foreign. [ATS is English]

The organization must engage in terrorist activity as defined in Section 212 (a)(3)(B) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. (** - see below)

The organization?s activities must threaten the security of U.S. nationals or the national security (national defense, foreign relations, or the economic interests) of the United States."

Of renewing and contesting...

"The Process

The Secretary of State makes decisions concerning the designation and redesignation of FTO?s following an exhaustive interagency review process in which all evidence of a group?s activity, from both classified and open sources, is scrutinized. The State Department, working closely with the Justice and Treasury Departments and the intelligence community, prepares a detailed "administrative record" which documents the terrorist activity of the designated FTO. Seven days before publishing an FTO designation in the Federal Register, the Department of State provides classified notification to Congress. Under the statute, designations are subject to judicial review. In the event of a challenge to a group?s FTO designation in federal court, the U.S. government relies upon the administrative record to defend the Secretary?s decision. These administrative records contain intelligence information and are therefore classified.

FTO designations expire in two years unless renewed. The law allows groups to be added at any time following a decision by the Secretary, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of the Treasury. The Secretary may also revoke designations after determining that there are grounds for doing so and notifying Congress."

So its seems like the Secretary of State Colin Powell is responsible for contesting and adding members to the list.

edit - I want to highlight this part at the end, because I find it sickly funny:

"In the event of a challenge to a group?s FTO designation in federal court, the U.S. government relies upon the administrative record to defend the Secretary?s decision. These administrative records contain intelligence information and are therefore classified. "

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by ktprktpr]

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Well, how many times have free thought and free information been deemed to be terrorist activities???

(More often than you may think)

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Can you tell to the FBI that there are still :

www.islamic-news.co.uk... aka www.supportersofshariah.co.uk... (It's the same site)

and :

Terrorists organisations :

www.hizbollah.org...
alaqsaintifada.org... (Al Aqsa intifada)
www.aqsa.org.uk... (Friends of Al-Aqsa)
www.hamasonline.com...

Jihad supporters :

www.jihadunspun.com...
www.jihadonline.net...
www.jihadonline.com... (Not the same than above)

Others links at :
www.worldofislam.info...
www.shareeah.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Psst! Be careful Nans DESMICHELS, by posting that information you may be coordinating with other terrorists! I hear the French don't even need a Patriot Act cause the gov't doesn't care anyway... j/k

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   
KavKaz Center!!!

Seriously,

This is good page..

And i go to there when i have enough from PENTAGON PROPAGANDA..

And want some truht for a change!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Btw,

They usually have some video footage or pics to back their claims..

Unlike the people from house of five corners..

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
Psst! Be careful Nans DESMICHELS, by posting that information you may be coordinating with other terrorists! I hear the French don't even need a Patriot Act cause the gov't doesn't care anyway... j/k

True, the french DST dont need any patriot act to arrest someone.
But many domains are in .co.uk, so it's the british services problem.

new topics
top topics

join