It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there an ignore button?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Searched before I posted.

This websites motto is deny ignorance and I like it, it means that we want to read different opinions about things.

So why the ignore button? Fiar enough we might not agree with what someone says, but you change change the bad things. Ignore(nce) is in the motto, and it just seems like its bein promoted by just blocking out what people have to say.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It helps you deny ignorance. It also helps you find your happy place at times. Sometimes it really is the best option.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The ignore button is what you can use to ignore a certain poster.
For example, if you come across someone who constantly berates your beliefs on any subject, you can click on the ignore button next to their name and you will no longer see any post or thread that, that person makes.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
to ignore posts like this. j/k
maybe,
because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
But the mods have started just changing unncessecay things... which is a better way because then people will have to develop their arguments or deny their own ignorance

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   
the ignore button is a magical, special button with magic powers to block unwanted people from sending you u2u's or posts! oops, did i say that out loud?!

[edit on 29-3-2006 by worksoftplayhard]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by worksoftplayhard
the ignore button is a magical, special button with magic powers to block unwanted people from sending you u2u's or posts! oops, did i say that out loud?!

Oh, so that's why my u2u's never get opened.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by byhiniur
But the mods have started just changing unncessecay things... which is a better way because then people will have to develop their arguments or deny their own ignorance

What Mods "have started just changing" what "unnecessary things"?

Springer...

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
120+ views and only 1 reply?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I have two people on ignore now. One is a Johnny One Note propagandist whose posts are as predictable as a Deb Price editorial. The other has an avatar so obnoxious that it warps space and time, beside giving me a headache.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I have only one Member on my ignore list right now and its for the same reason as GradyPhilpott.

I don't disagree with what this poster says its just that their Flashing Avatar makes my brain hurt !.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
But Grady and James, what if he actually says something important, or changes his avatar? Is there an un-ignore?

I, for one, will never use the ignore button. I like to see what everyone has to say. I don't have much of a temper, so it's pretty hard to make me angry, especially in a world where I'll probably never even meet anyone on here in real life!

So for the poster of this thread, I'd use caution if going to use the ignore button. I'm not sure if there is a way to actually un-ignoring and seeing if that person has changed his ways (or avatar).

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
If you click on Settings, on the left side next to the U2U messages is the place to unignore someone. I actually took someone off of ignore who I had forgotten all about. I certainly won't name names but I thought one poster was posting some rather silly posts consistently that I did not want to bother reading.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Yep you can unignore, in your profile you have a list of anyone on your ignore list and you can take them
off the list at any time.

I do check out the member on my ignore list from time to time to see what they have posted as I agree
with you its not nice to ignore anyone its just that this particular Avatar makes me feel ill ! I wish I could
tell you which one it was so you could check it out , but that wouldnt be fair to the individual concerned.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
It just I'm reminded of this quote...

first they laugh at you, then they ignore, then they fight you, then you win....

deny ignorance, don't ignore people... even if they have a flashin avatar

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Okay I'm beginning to feel guilty now so I'm gonna unignore this member and just try to divert my eyes from the Avatar !.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Now this is frikkin weird... an empty thread with no initial post and no replies in it.

Hello! hello hello hello ...Is anyone here? here here here...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Now this is frikkin weird... an empty thread with no initial post and no replies in it.

Hello! hello hello hello ...Is anyone here? here here here...

Maybe you have all the posters on this thread on ignore...
Uh, if that includes me, this post wont help you anyway.

On topic, I have used the ignore button twice. Both times after catching myself writing a reply (to some moron), so harsh it would probably have gotten me banned.

Whenever I get really mad at someone here, I always take a long look at Skippy, and reread my post before posting it. Usually this results in me deleting most of my post, or just leaving the thread altogether.

Peace.

g

[edit - clarification.]

[edit on 30/3/06 by gekko]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I can't remember seieng a flashing avatar since that one with the green and black "epilieptic nightmare" background. I think it was Lysergic, but I might be mistaken. It was tough on the mind, but not worthy of an ignore.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   
GradyPhilpott and Jamesmichael

I reckon you two have the same hideous avatar on ignore that I have

It is the most annoying thing I have ever seen on ATS - I was so mad (until I discovered that pure joy of 'ignore')

<<   2 >>

join