It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Modification Bill on Senate and House Fast Track: Linked to Bird Flu?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The USA is fast tracking a Weather Modification bill for passage in the Senate and House of Representatives. Gil Smolin, an Avian Bird Flu expert, says weather modification could worsen bird flu. Earlier research on the 1918 Flu Pandemic concluded that weather - especially humidity - was found to be the most important factor influencing death rates in the USA.

www.foodconsumer.org
U.S. Senate Bill 517 and U.S. House Bill 2995, a bill that would allow experimental weather modification by artificial methods and implement a national weather modification policy, does not include agriculture or public oversight, is on the "fast track" to be passed early in 2006. ...This bill is designed to implement experimental weather modification. The appointed Board of Directors established by this bill does not include any agricultural, water, EPA, or public representatives, and has no provisions for Congressional, State, County, or public oversight of their actions or expenditures.

Weather Modification may adversely impact agricultural crops and water supplies. If the weather is changed in one state, region or county it may have severe consequences in another region, state or county. And who is going to decide the type of weather modification experimentation and who it will benefit or adversely impact?

Gil Smolin, an Avian Bird Flu expert, noted on the Ron Owens Show on KGO Radio (January 5, 2006), that the flu was spread more quickly in the winter when there was a "lack of sunlight". Would man-made clouds be contributing to the lack of sunlight which might cause the Avian Bird flu to spread more quickly at other times of the year? Experimental weather modification programs could also exacerbate this problem by changing climate patterns, increasing man-made cloud cover, and changing our weather and climate patterns.

How the 1918 virus diffused within the United States is an "abiding puzzle" (Kolata 1990;62). The states with the highest excess mortality rates - Pennsylvania, Montana, Maryland and Colorado - "had little in common economically or demographically" (Crosby 1989; 66).

...St. Paul's death rate was 70% higher than that in neighboring Minneapolis, and Dayton, Ohio's death rate was 80% higher than in Columbus.

...Only weather appears to have had any fundamental significance in causing the destructiveness of the epidemic to vary from city to city. In particular, the relative humidity rate around the time of the infections was cited as the most important factor.

Source: (PDF) March, 2000: Is the 1918 Pandemic Over?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So. Weather - not economic development, climate or geography - determines bird flu spread and level of destruction.

Interesting.

And the Bush administration is fast tracking Senate Bill 517 and U.S. House Bill 2995 to push Weather Modification through. This promises a whole new kind of weaponry. Kind of a bioweapon/HAARP/weather hybrid that hijacks the natural power of Mother Earth. Maybe it's seen as a "defense" weapon?

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Thomas Crowne]

[edit on 29-3-2006 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So what happens if the weather is modified to create rain to grow crops - but incidentally exacerbates a bird flu outbreak and causes a pile of deaths?

Or what if the weather is modified to prevent rain and humidity - and incidentally causes crop failures and famine?

What if the rain and humidity gets "modified" and pushed out of the USA into Canada or Mexico, causing outbreaks and fatalities there? Or in Cuba? Or Central America?

...Do we really want these yahoos making those decisions?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
No. We most certainly do not want these yahoos making these sorts of decisions. I wouldn't trust them with the pennies in my ashtray, nevermind my house, or my kid, or my country.

I'd rather pay them to sit in a corn field and come up with silly names for each other. :shk:

They could easily exacerbate an already deadly situation by acting with their usual gusto, combined with an utter lack of accountability - that's dangerous. If they go cloud-busting, it might help slow the spread of bird flu, but it could easily wither and singe crops across the area. (Especially considering recent increases in solar radiation making it to the ground - the sun is heating us more, and it's in the valley of its cycle!)

This is a bit like a tipsy boulder, atop a cliff, I think. We're better off not playing with it, until we understand more, and our abilities increase to the point where we can reasonably expect to manage the inevitable, unexpected consequences of our actions.

As it is now, this is a disaster waiting to happpen. I wish I could say something like "I can't believe how foolhardy and dangerous our government has become", but I can't...

[edit on 29-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

As it is now, this is a disaster waiting to happpen. I wish I could say something like "I can't believe how foolhardy and dangerous our government has become", but I can't...

But yeah, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

What I want to is - Why is it suddenly so urgent to modify the weather?

These guys deny that the weather has changed - and say the climate has not changed, there is no global warming and nothing influencing weather.

WHY do they want to change the weather? What are they looking to accomplish? What's on their agenda? What are their priorities? And why it is suddenly so urgent?

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I keep reading this thread, and really have just two thoughts...

Is the reason bird flu spreads more rapidly in winter connected to the fact that species tend to aggregate more closely for reasons of food and shelter during the winter months?

Concerning the intense interest by government in weather control, I wonder how much of that is connected to a sense that global climate change is happening, and while you may not be able to do much about it in a global scale, you might just get away with making things work at the "local" level... Maybe, that isn't such a bad idea?

new topics

top topics

join