It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Was there a conspiracy? - your view

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I am doing a paper on 9/11 and in particular your perceptions not only on the events, but on the handling of the events by the mainstream media, both during and after the event. I am based in England and am particularly interested in the views and opinions of those in the U.S, as it is your press I am focusing on - although views from other bloggers would also be much appreciated.

I have been speaking to a number of academics on these events and to provide a balanced argument your views are particularly important. Therefore I have here a number of questions that I would like you to look at - and give me your honest views - Many thanks for your help.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

1/ What made you look at sites such as these re 9/11?

2/ Do you think the kind of sites we are talking about (conspiracy theories and alternate views on the events of 9/11) help blogging’s and the Internet’s image?

3/ Do you think that forums for such theories to merely to exist, proves that they are part of the democratic process in action and are a bastion of freedom of speech, or are they perhaps guilty of causing scepticism, and therefore tainting the entire image of the blogosphere?

4/ What do you think were the failings of the mainstream media on the day (if any), do you think they were impartial and unbiased and if so, do you think given the circumstances that this was even possible?

5/ As terrible an event that 9/11 was was, do you believe that the coverage was guilty of being ‘over the top’ given that people all around the world die in often terrible circumstances, and not afforded equal (or at times any) media coverage?

6/ Do you think that the mainstream media should look at the anomalies raised on the Internet and by bloggers to dispel them or otherwise?

7/ What do you believe has been the effect on blogging post September 11th?

8/ Looking Chomsky's Propaganda Model, do you believe that some of the filters mentioned within it, came into play with mainstream journalism on 9/11. I am thinking specifically about flax here, and how it seemed that any journalist not appearing to be 100% patriotic received ‘short shrift’ from their peers, and at times the public?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

posted by Dylanloveday: “I am doing a paper on 9/11 and [would like] your perceptions on the events, and on the handling of the events by the mainstream media, both during and after the event. [Edited by Don W]

I was at home. A fellow employee called me after the first plane hit the WTC. I turned on my tv, and was satisfied that it had been an accident. I was recalling the 1940s event when a B25 bomber struck the Empire State Building. Then, suddenly the second plane struck the second WTC tower. I - as everyone - knew there was something sinister here. This was no accident. What is going on? Like everyone who had the opportunity, I was glued to the tv until it was all over.

I am based in England and am particularly interested in the views and opinions of those in the U.S., as it is your press I am focusing on - although views from other bloggers would also be much appreciated.

I read the Louisville Courier-Journal, a Gannatt paper. I am a CBS fan. If you’re up on the US, you can tell I am an older LEFT leaning person. If younger, I’d be a CNN fan. In any case, I watched the tv for hours on end. Too much. I detected NO conspiracy of any kind then or later.

Dylanloveday: I have been speaking to a number of academics on these events and to provide a balanced argument your views are particularly important. Therefore I have here a number of questions that I would like you to look at - and give me your honest views - Many thanks for your help.

1/ What made you look at sites such as these re 9/11?

A. My insatiable and Innate curiosity.

2/ Do you think the kind of sites we are talking about (conspiracy theories and alternate views on the events of 9/11) help blogging’s and the Internet’s image?

A. No. On the other hand, I do not think the sites harm it, either. I’d say, a “neutral” effect on the internet.

3/ Do you think that forums for such theories to merely to exist, proves that they are part of the democratic process in action and are a bastion of freedom of speech, or are they perhaps guilty of causing scepticism, and therefore tainting the entire image of the blogosphere?

A. I was born skeptical. I have always doubted or questioned anything I cannot see, feel or measure. For me, I find this entirely acceptable. OTOH, I do not believe in God, I believe in the Big Bang. God is irrational. The Bib Bang is rational.

4/ What do you think were the failings of the mainstream media on the day (if any), do you think they were impartial and unbiased and if so, do you think given the circumstances that this was even possible?

A. I’d say, under the circumstances, the electronic media performed very well in the U S of A.

5/ As terrible an event that 9/11 was, do you believe that the coverage was guilty of being ‘over the top’ given that people all around the world die in often terrible circumstances, and not afforded equal (or at times any) media coverage?

A. Well, Americans think we are special. Sometimes that has a good outcome, sometimes it has a bad outcome. You cannot change that. You who are not Americans might as well get over it. On the up-side for non-Americans, I predict the U S of A will fall out of the world’s #1 position by 2020. Then it will be China we will all have to accommodate to.

6/ Do you think that the mainstream media should look at the anomalies raised on the Internet and by bloggers to dispel them or otherwise?

A. Yes, IF there are any credible facts involved. Example: It was ok to give serious time to the first claim of an “encounter of the 3rd kind” but when that showed no credible evidence, then later claims or accounts could be safely ignored.

7/ What do you believe has been the effect on blogging post September 11th?

A. The number of participants and the amount of conversation has grown exponentially. OTOH, I do not believe it has contributed anything to our knowledge base.

8/ Looking Chomsky's Propaganda Model, do you believe that some of the filters mentioned within it, came into play with mainstream journalism on 9/11. I am thinking specifically about flax here, and how it seemed that any journalist not appearing to be 100% patriotic received ‘short shrift’ from their peers, and at times the public?

A. Well, unfortunately for America and the world and now as you have seen since March 18, 2003, for Iraq, the U.S. leadership went berserk. This Administration has co-opted the Nine Eleven Event for political purposes and used it to win the 2002 and 2004 elections. The Bush administration’s performance - or lack of it - in the Katrina fiasco shows they do not take security or preparation seriously. Now, Bush is hyping the Iran thing planning to use a war scare to win the 2006 election. The message Osama was trying to convey on Nine Eleven fell on deaf ears. That’s the tragedy of Nine Eleven.

[edit on 3/29/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Thanks for your response Don. Anybody else?

join