It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books That You Wish were Made Into Films?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'd like to see Vernon God Little made into a movie and for some strange reason Robbie Williams pops into mind as the guy to play the baddie Eulalio or Lally (or whatever his name was). All the characters have strange names. Fantastic first novel by DBC Pierre.

Also, I know it's been done already but I'd love a remake of Papillon which must be the best story ever written. The Steve McQueen movie was great but 80% of the story was missing. This book is perfect for a long-running TV series in style of Lost, or a 3 year triple part movie in style of LOTR. If I won Euro lottery triple rollover I'd put the money into that. I love to be entertained.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I'd love to see:

"Armor" by John Steakley
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card
"Dies the Fire" by S.M. Stirling. And maybe the rest of the series.
"The Last Ship" by William Brinkley
"Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz. Also the rest of the series.
"Level 7" by Mordecai Roshwold
"Roadside Picnic" by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The Catcher In The Rye? Really? Ugh, I hated that book. But, I'm Loony and hated The Lord Of The Rings and that Stephen R. Donaldson stuff also. Bored me to tears and I couldn't finish either.

I realize this thread is old, but The Dark Tower IS being made. I didn't get the link but there's a thread I did on it a few months ago. Three movies and two television series, IIRC, with Ron Howard set to direct at least the first part.

Magic Kingdom: For Sale - Terry Brooks. Hilarious and would translate well to the screen IMO. Could name any number of actors that could fit well in this one.

The Thieves' World series - I've heard for years that something may come of this but I doubt it. The original series was twelve books and Lynn Abbey has rebooted the series with a few more. Dark but oh so cool fantasy. I'd so love to see the sign for the Vulgar Unicorn pub and whoever got the part for Hanse Shadowspawn could make bank on that if done well.

Pretty much anything by Stephen King that hasn't been done yet, Duma Key, The Eyes Of The Dragon, The Talisman/Black House, etc. Or, could do some remakes of his lousier flicks like 'Salems Lot(made-for-tv junk IMO).

Dark Rivers Of The Heart - Dean Koontz. The good guy is the bad guy and vice versa. Enemy of the State way before that was made and just as good if not better.

Cry To Heaven - Anne Rice. While everyone wants more vampire flicks but I could enjoy the frakked up story of castrated singers in Naples way BITD. I too really dug The Witching Hour but there's no way that would work as the manuscript in the middle is too much, methinks, for a movie. Two stories like that would make it about eight hours long. Maybe a mini-series but who's going to pay to make it?

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The Puppet Masters, Stranger In A Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein. TMIAHM may be my favorite book ever and Stranger is just plain awesome( you grok, eh?). I do concur it would be nice to have a Starship Troopers that has some resemblance to the book, although in the first one it wasn't too bad in trying to employ Heinlein's attitudes in it with all the commercials and what not interspersed throughout.

I also would enjoy a screen version of Rush's 2112 - yeah, it ain't a book but would still make a decent movie if done properly.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
I also would enjoy a screen version of Rush's 2112 - yeah, it ain't a book but would still make a decent movie if done properly.

Oh yeah, Sci-fi with awesome soundtrack.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
"Roadside Picnic" by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

The Gormenghast trilogy assuming it would have a really good budget. I think there was a mini series made but it didn't look so good. I don't even care about the acting or script as long as the make the castle look as dark and foreboding as it is described.

I read a book once called Selling Hitler about a guy who made millions by faking a set of Hitler's diaries. Always thought that would make a good movie concept.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I've seen Stalker. While similar, the film and the book are not the same.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by allenidaho
reply to post by FEDec

I've seen Stalker. While similar, the film and the book are not the same.

If you want a cue for cue read out of the book no stalker is not your movie. But I doubt any other movie could deal with the themes presented in roadside picnic as well.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ceci2006

Earth Abides a classic book that has never been made in to a movie.

It would be a great mini-series on the television.

Earth Abides is a 1949 post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American writer George R. Stewart. It tells the story of the fall of civilization from deadly disease and its rebirth. Beginning in the United States in the 1940s, it deals with Isherwood "Ish" Williams, Emma, and the community they founded. The survivors live off the remains of the old world, while learning to adapt to the new. Along the way they are forced to make tough decisions and choose what kind of civilization they will rebuild.

Earth Abides

Another good book that would make a good movie is Sing a song to Jenny Next.

Click on the link for complete information on it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Did anyone ever make "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy? That was an insane book - totally disturbing and fantastic.

CJ

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Malazan Book of the Fallen
www.malazanempire.com...
One of the most intricate epic and catastrophic series I have ever read.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series (Not some BS POS like we got)

Book of Enoch would be awesome

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join