It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D image of MilkyWay shows a deformed galaxy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Researchers from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) and Tokyo University have created a three-dimensional image of the Milky Way — reportedly the first of its kind. The image depicts a disk-shaped galaxy with a large deformity in one area, and it indicates the presence of five spiral arms as opposed to the six commonly believed to exist.

PunkTentacle.com/Pictures

Well I thought this was an interesting article, I was going to try and use the more official sites as my sources, since the one I'm using does'nt have articles seperated to well, but all the official releases were in Japanese.

Just one more discovery in the realm of the universe.

Comments, Opinions?

NOTE:
I don't know why everything is in bold, I did'nt do that.

[edit on 3/29/2006 by iori_komei]

MOD EDIT: Making an attempt to get rid of the bold. That is odd... Third edit did the trick. No idea what caused that. Putting the end bold tag (/b) at the end of your external quote did the trick.

[edit on 3/29/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:20 AM
link   
really hard to tell with that picture since it is just looking for hydrogen atoms and moluclues. Wasn't there an earlier discovery that it was actaully warped and looked more then a sumbrao with the edges being bent twoards the core?

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Wasn't there an earlier discovery that it was actaully warped and looked more then a sumbrao with the edges being bent twoards the core?

Yup. Here's the Space.com article on it...

Milky Way's Warp Explained

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Well,

I was afraid it would have a notch in the side. And there it is, this is mindboggling.
Here's why:

Their visualisation of the galaxy: www.nro.nao.ac.jp...

STS-75 pic:

David Sereda might have a point after all?

(except for mistaking a camera zoom for "high velocity turns that would flatten you like a pankake")

top topics

join