It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop being a know-it-all

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
You want my opinion:

sadly it is inane threads like this that get many of the replies on this site and that in itself is a 'know it all' event. How many times do I see intelligent people start threads and they go nowhere. Explain that to us please.

That's easy. There truly are some intelligent folks on here. They start a thread that is so imformative and well thought out that the rest of us bone heads are left with a one line reply, you're right, and that's against the rules.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
You have voted Gemwolf for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Great post Gemwolf! I lurk here a lot, learn a lot. Moderatate another forum as well. I learned much from your post

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
There is a difference between being a skeptic and exploring all the options, (or being 100% right), and being a know-it-all.

Correct and incorrect are not relative. If you are wrong, or even just aren't backed up with SOME credibility, you are looking to be ripped apart.

If you are right, why worry about being called an idiot? It's only the people who post outlandish claims that get labelled idiots or nutjobs.

20 year old kids calling 40 year olds idiots. Just because they know how to utilize Google. They forget the difference between knowledge and wisdom, and forget the importance of experience.

Doesn't matter when they are the ones with the truth. Are you saying a German War Veteran who says the holocaust never happened isn't wrong because he has age and 'experience'?

A good example (I use this one because it stuck with me) is a recent thread where a good-natured person posted an astonishing picture of what he taught might be his diseased father.

You aren't even referring to threads properly yourself. It wasn't his diseased father, it was his dead grandfather. If you meant to spell 'deceased', you would have been half right at least though.

Yes, I'm wrong sometimes. But when someone is kind enough to point it out, I accept it, and add it into my understanding of the world.

Sounds to me like somebody just posted something that couldn't stand up to science, and got their feelings hurt. Sorry, you won't get my vote.

By your definition, "Know-it-all" just means "Reasonable, logical person". In that case, I'm proud to be know-it-all, and have no intention of changing any time soon. Somebody has to ruin your fairy tales.

=)

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit

That's easy. There truly are some intelligent folks on here. They start a thread that is so imformative and well thought out that the rest of us bone heads are left with a one line reply, you're right, and that's against the rules.

Could not have said it better myself!

notbuynit is spot on here. Lots of threads I see started have so completely stated the position, completed the thought or utterly solidified the theory in fact that there really isn't anything to add.

I don't know why some take that as a negative. It's a truly a case of "shut my mouth, that person nailed it"!

Springer...

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Actually, when I first posted the original post, I was expecting many more responses such as yours, but it turned out the other way - which surprised me to be honest.

In my opinion you might have misunderstood my post. Most people that replied to the thread and "applauded" me knew exactly what people I was referring to (or complaining about?). Maybe you have not noticed these ATSers I'm talking about or maybe you're one of them. There's some excellent posts following mine giving a better description of exactly the kind of Intellectual trolls I was trying to describe. If you are able to overlook these know-it-alls and ignore them, or are unable to see their pretentious intelligence for what it is, then good for you.

Personally I think that all the pats on the back are not well deserved, as it's not an exceptionally well-written post. I've done better work.

Originally posted by Yarcofin
If you are right, why worry about being called an idiot? It's only the people who post outlandish claims that get labelled idiots or nutjobs.

I just feel sorry for "innocent people" that are called idiots. In many cases they are far from idiots but are called such because they have a certain point of view, and others think they are better or more intelligent that these so-called idiots. Who give you the right to call anyone an idiot?

Doesn't matter when they are the ones with the truth. Are you saying a German War Veteran who says the holocaust never happened isn't wrong because he has age and 'experience'?

No, that's not the point - Who's right or wrong. No, the point is that kids are calling older people all kinds of names and kids are looking down on much older folk. But meanwhile back at the ranch the kids must still learn what the older people already experienced. Google (i.e. someone else's knowledge) vs. actual wisdom and experience. I myself fall more into the "kids" category thus I preaching to myself in this sense as well.

You aren't even referring to threads properly yourself. It wasn't his diseased father, it was his dead grandfather. If you meant to spell 'deceased', you would have been half right at least though.

LoL. I was waiting for this one. If you take a careful look at my original post, you notice many more grammar mistakes, and mistakes such as the one you pointed out. I meant deceased. May I add that English is my second language, my mother tongue is actually Afrikaans. I could also tell you that I understand 5 different languages and trying to remember the spelling for all the words in all the different languages might cause such mistakes. But I'm not going to mention that as it may just cast me into the "know-it-all" category? Er.. Was there a point to the thread when you pointed out that mistake?

Yes, I'm wrong sometimes. But when someone is kind enough to point it out, I accept it, and add it into my understanding of the world.

As do I. For some reason it looks like you feel that this post was directed at you in person. It wasn't I had no specific person in mind when I wrote it. If you feel guilty, then maybe I did something right? Personally I never had a problem with you or any of your posts. Yes, I'm aware of you and your posts. I remember your name (considering the amount of ATSers) so you had to make some sort of impact on me at some stage. Make of that what you want.

Sounds to me like somebody just posted something that couldn't stand up to science, and got their feelings hurt. Sorry, you won't get my vote.

LoL. Actually no one ever called me an idiot or scuffed at me for possible unintelligent posts. No, it's more the way other people are treated and how some posters think they know it all that caused this thread.
Oh, and I didn't ask for your vote. When I made the thread I wasn't hoping for anyone's vote or any sort of applause. But I am extremely thankful for the amount of applauses and WATS I did get. Because it tells me that many people support me on this matter. Because of the huge amount of U2U's and WATS I got I had to stop at at some stage to thank everyone personally. (PS If anyone didn't get a U2U from me thanking him or her: Thank You.) If you don't support me, Yarcofin, then that's up to you. I won't hold it against you. Just don't make it sound as if your vote will make a difference in anything.

By your definition, "Know-it-all" just means "Reasonable, logical person". In that case, I'm proud to be know-it-all, and have no intention of changing any time soon. Somebody has to ruin your fairy tales.

Not at all. Clearly you misunderstood my definition of a Know-It-all. If you feel that you fit into the Know-It-All category, then that's a pity. You'll one day look around you and notice that you're talking to yourself or only other Know-It-All's. And that's fine with me. I guess there has to be a place for them here at ATS as well. As they are everywhere in life. They just need to think about exactly what role they're playing here at ATS and if they're really doing something constructive.

If you feel that I'm attacking you in my original post, then I'm sorry. That was not what I was trying to do, and would suggest that you read through everyone's posts and try to understand exactly what kind of person gets our panties in a knot.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think there is a forum for all kinds on ATS. In my opinion there are two basic categories that the majority of threads fall into. There are threads and forums specifically designed to generate debate, and others that a specifically designed share experiences. What I find annoying is posters who try to start a debate in an shared experience forum. An example that comes to mind is Menguard's Higher light answers for questions thread. It is clear that this thread is not designed to generate debate, yet it must unfairly contend with a barrage(sp) of inconsiderate, disrespectful posts with the sole intention of disrupting and derailing the admirable purpose of the thread.

I originally came to ATS to learn from the experiences of others, with particular interest in the paranormal forum. Of all the forums, this is probably the one that is least conducive(sp) to debate generating threads. However, in my time here, I have come across many other forums that are better suited to debating, and as enjoy a good debate, I often take on an active role in them. However the demeanor I carry into a debate thread is vastly different to that in a shared experience thread.

I often start threads with the specific intention of generating a debate, with varying degrees of success. Just as I often start threads that are specifically designed to share experiences. Provided a poster respects the purpose of the thread, I have no problem with them contributing to it in whatever way they see fit. I try to stick to three simple principles when posting in debate orientated forums: (1) Stick to the information presented and refrain from personal attacks. (2) Try to minimise expression of views on subjects I am not interested in and/or know little about. (3) Most importantly believe in what I am posting. I make every effort to stick to these principles, despite straying from them on occasions.

Probably the greatest issue I have on ATS is posters who disguise their opinions as facts. I have no problem with expressing ones opinion, in fact I welcome it, regardless of it's likeness to my own. However opinions portrayed as facts I have a real issue with, and I will often butt in and make this known to poster. In my opinion there is no place for opinions disguised as facts.

I believe that as long as you address the original posters statements, you have every right to post in that thread regardless of how much of the remaining thread you have read. Some threads are a hundred pages long, and I would not like to think that members should have to read through the whole thing in order to qualify as a legitimate posting candidate.

I apologise Gemwolf if I have gone a little off topic with this post, but I felt there was an invitation to express my views. This is an excellent thread, and I concur with much of what you allude to in your opening post, despite being guilty of some of the things you oppose in it, at times. The vast array of plaudits you have received as a result of this thread are well deserved in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Gemwolf,

I didn't think that the original post was directed at me, although I have been called "overly cynical" and "too smart for my own good" on more than one occasion. I simply befriend and respect many of the people you are referring to. I would certainly rather listen to a "know it all" than someone posting something outlandish about being able to feel their tree's pain. In general, I just kind of hate people who make posts but nothing but a story about personal experience. Yes it's neat to listen to, but there is no way to say what happened or why.

I've only met two "know-it-alls" on ATS that really got to me, and angered me assumedly like they are to you. These people normally fall into the "extreme skeptic" catagory. Yes, people with completely closed minds are bad, but people with entirely open minds that will accept whatever you tell them are even worse. There would be no real answers or serious theories on ATS if it wasn't for "know it alls".

I don't even understand specifically how far someone has to go before they become a "know it all" though, so I'm just going to give up now

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Gemwolf---Surely being a know-it-all is a good thing (in certain circumstances!). I mean I'm not an intelligent person.. far from it! This website is often here for people to further their knowledge in that desired and interesting subject! Often these know-it-alls have alot to prove and so will provide vast amounts of information for people like me to devour! It is up to the person, the individual who is reading the source to be able to clarify the 'good' and 'bad' bits from a reply as everyone has their own opinion and we do it naturally every day.

I think it is good to elt some of these people get a kick out of showing their 'intelligence' even though they may have just copied it.. atleast they are learning information on that subject too and hopefully furthering themselves!!

I only have a problem with malicious people who claim their point is right.. when in reality most conspiracy theories/theorists all differ gradually, we are only here to discuss and learn. And if you have such a big thing against know-it-alls just press the big red ignore button.. simple see!!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf to Yarcofin
Actually, when I first posted the original post, I was expecting many more responses such as yours, but it turned out the other way - which surprised me to be honest.

Well, then you have guts to be willing to go up against *them* in your post while expecting a backlash. I'm not surprised there wsan't one though. I think *they* usually know who *they* are and wouldn't want to epitomize your point and identifying themselves by personifying the problem! I'm actually surprised anyone would would be so silly to!

Originally posted by Gemwolf[ to Yarcofin
In my opinion you might have misunderstood my post. Most people that replied to the thread and "applauded" me knew exactly what people I was referring to (or complaining about?). Maybe you have not noticed these ATSers I'm talking about or maybe you're one of them. There's some excellent posts following mine giving a better description of exactly the kind of Intellectual trolls I was trying to describe.

Thanks. You don't have to defend yourself to anyone gemwolf-everyone knows where you were /are coming from, but it's a fun way to start the day for me finding the irony on this thread and a perfect example for you! And we-as you know-back you up 100% and I'm glad you didn't mind me jumping on your wagon to give my .02 on the *IT*. I think thats what *they* should be called for now on ...just "IT"
you know...don't bother arguing with "it" or about "it"...just ignore "it" etc.

If you are able to overlook these know-it-alls and ignore them, or are unable to see their pretentious intelligence for what it is, then good for you.

Personally I think that all the pats on the back are not well deserved, as it's not an exceptionally well-written post. I've done better work.

Say they are surprising, (2750 points in applause by my calculation!
) but not that they are not well deserved. Remember, it's not about-or shouldn't be about the quality of writing, but the SUBJECT at hand that we should be discussing.

Isn't that the meat of the point here anyway? Not just about how others behave but what is lost through their behaviour-the substance and subject and intent of a thread.

When people pick apart someone's mis-spelling or grammatical errors or small unconsequential point of error and the main point over looked, forgotten, etc-it's rediculous. Not that we shouldn't put for the effort to spell check, or re-read, and make intelligent posts, but that the point of the thread or post shouldn't be lost through the grammatical disection of others or inconsequential errors!

Some people are more verbose, or loquatious- I tend to be-and what does it mean... for anyone who doesn't know... WORDY-plain and simple that is it-but I am so without wit, great intelligence or an extensive vocabulary... others are witty and intelligent and have an extensive vocabulary, and a great grasp of Google as you point out
but all in all anyone with few or many words has the right to bring up a subject, theory, conspiracy, or question and NOT be beaten over the head by the "ITs" just for the sake of someone trying to get a quick fix.

I just feel sorry for "innocent people" that are called idiots. In many cases they are far from idiots but are called such because they have a certain point of view, and others think they are better or more intelligent that these so-called idiots. Who give you the right to call anyone an idiot?

Or imply it or discredit them and their view by attacking their intelligence, presentation, writing style, grammar, English, etc. (am I beating a dead horse yet?)

hehehe ah the irony. I am just silly this morning-maybe I got too MUCH sleep last night. You didn't find that funny gemwolf?
I am ROFL at this point!!

LoL. I was waiting for this one. If you take a careful look at my original post, you notice many more grammar mistakes, and mistakes such as the one you pointed out. I meant deceased.

Oh I see you did get a little "loL" out of it. Good, then all is not in vain! :::whew::: I almost thought your whole post had been discredited by that misspelling and grave error

May I add that English is my second language, my mother tongue is actually Afrikaans. I could also tell you that I understand 5 different languages and trying to remember the spelling for all the words in all the different languages might cause such mistakes. But I'm not going to mention that as it may just cast me into the "know-it-all" category? Er.. Was there a point to the thread when you pointed out that mistake?

of course there was a point-he was personifying yours
I'm still giggling

...and let me say WOW 5 languages? You do VERY well in English first of all. Amazing! I can speak/understand a bit of a few others myself...some spanish, german, even a bit of tagolog, but thats it-I'd be hard pressed if I had to use one of them for a day out of the country! I certainly could not post as you do in anything but my first and native tongue. I am impressed by that bit of info about you personally.

Originally posted by Gemwolf to yarcofin
Oh, and I didn't ask for your vote.

but you know...I do have a vote...maybe two left this month...I should get busy...since yarcofin didn't give his/hers...please allow me to give you mine.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by think2much]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

You have voted Gemwolf for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Ah that felt good.

Thanks again gemwolf for bringing up this topic.

Hopefully those who may be guilty of really being monsters on the board will back off, and those who may find themselves honestly accidentally falling into the same type of pattern can nip it in the bud and reign themselves in realizing it now.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   
As far as opinions go everyone has them,if you think someone is acting like a know it all and should stop,what does that say about you.Honestly if someone wants to sit there and say someone knows nothing but how to browse a search engine and retain knowledge this makes no sense to me really.

Because people have different views is why we have disscussion boards.
Now I havent read all the replies but,This seems alot in the same line as what the person is complaining about.

Too many times do I see older people or more distinguished people held up and exhalted for their experience based just on that,their experiences,
and someone with less amount of experience cast aside just because of that. Age is nothing in the eyes of exsistence one person at the age of 10 may hold more knowledge and ideas then anyone else on this planet. Over time many become set in many ways of thinking and feeling,if i tell someone they are wrong and im right(not that i do) so what really.Try and show me how to think by being an example yourself,don't start flinging labels and muck my way,that really wont help the situation at all.

Now I dont really understand what youre saying gemwolf.Sure mabey someone could have read something from someone else and post it changeing the words,But How do you think all knowledge is obtained.

If no one took what others say and do and study and try to make it their own in a way to understand it or try.Would we really expand in anything?
They say everything under the sun has been said and done.While I am not sure this is true I think you may know what im getting at.

As far as these Mr.Knowitall things give me a break,If you want to start ridiculing members on how they post or behave on this board too much.It might get thrown back in our faces.

If you come across what you think is a knowitall.Just try to post in a way that suggests more to the picture,dont get all harumphed and angry.This wont help anything as i said before.

I try not to get personal too much with other members,who am i really to judge another person,I cannot account for others behaviors,nor should i scorn them for them either.WE have to make sure others dont totally bash anyone,but then again there is always a way to disagree properly so people dont get hurt.

To tell the truth though this is one of the more negative posts i have come across,which seems kind of fitting considering it is against negative people.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Now im not going to stop posting but see how negative my response was.When it comes to anyone who thinks that they are being attacked in any way will get their back up. I personally have not encountered to many of these know it all characters but then again i hang out in the para board where we generaly have no clue as to whats going on at all.lol.

But what you have said gemwolf is a good point really.The question though is how to deal with it properly,it can be frustrerating when two people are trying to make the other person see their way,most of the time it just results in labels and muck flinging.If we would just take solace in the fact that we know we are right,and I mean everyone be not so concerned about what others think.Only reaching out to gain and not to push what we know on others mabey we could all get along.

I dunno.Its hard to say.

If you know that someone is being like this use that wisdom you talked about to deal with it.Don't get the back up.It will result in posting a thread like this no?

Hope everyone doesnt think im a dumb 24 year old know it all kid now for saying what i have,but it really does seem kinda stupid creating an us against them scenario.Based on different views of information exchange and people seeming to act like they know it all.ecspecialy when you open in such a slamming way towards a younger group of individuals ridiculing that which is older on a older people have been around longer theme,so what what makes them so special,what have they done neccessarily to deserve the right of being knowledged?.With the expansion of our species kids there are kids out there right now who might know as i said more then anyone else.

Scarecrow.

[edit on 30-3-2006 by toraylin]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by think2much

You have voted Gemwolf for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Ah that felt good.

Thanks again gemwolf for bringing up this topic.

This is the dumbest topic I ever saw. This entire website is devoted to know-it-alls. You people (and you know who you are) are nutz.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enkidu

This is the dumbest topic I ever saw. This entire website is devoted to know-it-alls. You people (and you know who you are) are nutz.

Thank you Enkidu!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thanks, that's basically a nice summary in one sentence of everything I have tried to say on this board so far. I was going to say something about this entire thread being some sort of giant egotistical circle jerk, but I was starting to fear nobody agreed with me, and I was going to be hung for my opinions

The ATS Civil War of 2006: Know-It-Alls vs. Average Joes

[edit on 30-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
toraylin--

Good reply.. Exactly what i tried to say before you ^^^.
Surely these 'know it alls' are doing the research and thus learning about it in the process to deliver the information to the person asking and they are also learning from, it to? All good surely? At the end of the day this site is supposed to raise peoples awareness to things and it is up to the person which sources they choose to believe/disbelieve.

If we do what Gemwold states a person with little or no knowledge would have to bow down to an 'expert' who's studies books for years. It's stupid. And I do not want to get into a tit for tat argument but the people posting for way above awards for Gemwolf but all truly appear to be sheep following on after each other ( I in NO way want to suggest everyone is at this point).

Excellent post toraylin.. Exactly what i wanted to say.. but better!!

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I would like to add one thing. That is that everyone here has one or two things that they really know well because it's their passion or their hobby or their profession.

Keep that in mind when you post and when you read other's posts. The other guy might really know what the h ll he is talking about.

And I'm all for civility.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
know it all, I am
far better to be, than lost
tolerating, DOH!

[edit on 30-3-2006 by NotClever]

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
*Surveys the landscape*

Threadkiller without peer. Yeah.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Again, I'm amazed at these reactions. It's laughable to say the least. These few guys (and girls?) that are against this thread I think you're missing the point completely. Or you might be recognizing yourself in the people I referred to. But that's completely beyond the point. I made the original post to state what's bothering me about my experience here at ATS. And it's getting worse. So I posted what I felt ATSers should do to give each other a break and to make ATS a better place. (Do I sound like Oprah yet?) In the end there is nothing to debate. Because it's how I FEEL. And everyone that supports the thread are just people that realized "Hey, That's exactly how I feel!".

And then we see exactly what I was talking about. These fellow ATSers that FEEL the same way are called sheep. Just because a lot of people agree, now they are sheep?

I rest my case Your Honour.

Seeing that there really isn't anything to debate or add here, I'll be moving along. If you don't know what the thread is about, just ignore it and move along, or read the first post of one of these people: think2much, Freedom_for_sum, godservant, WyrdeOne, apocalypticon, Jadette, GradyPhilpott AngelWings9999, mojo4sale, ImaginaryReality1984, tommyb98201, Byrd, ceci2006, RecDude, Undo, DrBones666, NotClever, siddharthsma, notbuynit, mytym and even toraylin – yes, even him touched on the subject … well, just here and there, anyway ...

Enough said.

[Edit: To complete the list.
]

[edit on 31-3-2006 by Gemwolf]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join