It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Broadcast System.... Alien contact? Or government conspiracy??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   
'This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System -- This is ONLY a test."

Has anyone noticed how the EBS has been around in one form or other for the past 50+ years, and yet not once has there been an emergency befitting the use of this system? With mass communication the way it is now, if there's anything that needs to be broadcast to the people, then it'll get to them in a hurry, with or without the EBS. My main question is this: Why have this negligible system in place when there are plenty of other systems to distribute the same information to the people?

There is the obvious answer of redundancy, and on the surface that sounds and looks like a reasonable response. However, given the media that it is used with, I find it quite hard to believe that there aren't other more productive ways to get the same info out than to put an obnoxious beeping on the TV or radio.

Through thinking for long hours on this very question, I've come to the conclusion that there may be something else going on that we don't know about. Shortly after World War II, there were a rash of UFO sightings, with the most famous of those being Roswell. This may seem unrelated, until one takes into account that there were items supposedly found on the crashed craft that could do things that we hadn't even thought of yet. One of these supposed devices was a piece of headgear that most likely read the thoughts of it's wearer, and reacted to them.

My theory out of all of this is that maybe the government saw a way to reverse-engineer the piece of hardware, and make it project a mind-controlling signal that could be used at any time the people that made it wanted it to be used. The original version of the current EAS was the DBS, organized by Roosevelt in 1951, only 4 short years after the Roswell crash. Maybe they succeeded in reverse engineering the hardware, and made this mind-control device that they now use in the form of this "emergency syetem". I just find it odd that something designed over 50 years ago to alert the people about a threat wasn't used during any of the 9/11 incidents, or as far as I know. There were none where I was, and I have never heard of or witnessed a single use of this system for any use other than a test.

Any and all debate/comments are welcome.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Yes, there are other ways to inform people of an emergency, and those are all in place as well. There are sirens in most cities and large towns, radio broadcasts are ready to go out in case of a pending disaster, and we have the EBS on tv. When you have to reach the masses, you have to cover all the bases so you can reach as many people as possible.

there were items supposedly found on the crashed craft that could do things that we hadn't even thought of yet. One of these supposed devices was a piece of headgear that most likely read the thoughts of it's wearer, and reacted to them.

Really? Never head of this before. Any data to back that up?

en.wikipedia.org...

The EBS was initiated in 1963 at the height of the civil defense era, to allow the president to address the entire nation in an emergency. EBS replaced the CONELRAD system that was instituted in 1951. The EBS was later further expanded through an interagency effort with the FCC, and the National Weather Service (NWS), to permit the system to be used for state and local emergencies. EBS was replaced by the Emergency Alert System (EAS) in 1997.

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ**

[edit on 28-3-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Through thinking for long hours on this very question, I've come to the conclusion that there may be something else going on

WHY? Why do people sit around thinking about something completely mundane and come to the conclusion that something really big and spooky is actually happening behind the scenes? Here's another one for you:

When the electrical grid started spreading throughout the country (actually before that) - DC current was common. Alternating current eventually won out, with voltage cycling at a frequency of 60 hertz, *allegedly* because this was more efficient at transmitting over long distance wires. After long contemplation, I have decided that everything we've been taught about this whole AC/DC thing is wrong, electrical engineers are wrong, and actually the 60hz thing was implemented as a way to introduce pacifying waves to the populace and keep us under control.

I just made that whole thing up. Now, let's spend a lot of time talking about Tesla and stuff.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
Has anyone noticed how the EBS has been around in one form or other for the past 50+ years, and yet not once has there been an emergency befitting the use of this system?.... make it project a mind-controlling signal that could be used at any time the people that made it wanted it to be used....and made this mind-control device that they now use in the form of this "emergency syetem". I just find it odd that something designed over 50 years ago to alert the people about a threat wasn't used during any of the 9/11 incidents, or as far as I know. There were none where I was, and I have never heard of or witnessed a single use of this system for any use other than a test.

It works perfectly as a mind-control device. Without fail, I am compelled to turn my radio down as fast as I can when it comes on.

The system was designed during the Cold War and was intended to alert the populace in the event of a nuclear exchange. The nature of the scenario was such that several minutes were available to announce impending doom before major cities were reduced to ash.

As far as the 9/11 incidents go...the EBS is virtually useless in the event of sneak attack. I am reminded of the tornado sirens that sounded near my house after the twister plowed through our neighborhood.

Personally, I think its anachronistic and will probably never be effectively utilized.

NC

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sophismata
WHY? Why do people sit around thinking about something completely mundane and come to the conclusion that something really big and spooky is actually happening behind the scenes? Here's another one for you:

When the electrical grid started spreading throughout the country (actually before that) - DC current was common. Alternating current eventually won out, with voltage cycling at a frequency of 60 hertz, *allegedly* because this was more efficient at transmitting over long distance wires. After long contemplation, I have decided that everything we've been taught about this whole AC/DC thing is wrong, electrical engineers are wrong, and actually the 60hz thing was implemented as a way to introduce pacifying waves to the populace and keep us under control.

I just made that whole thing up. Now, let's spend a lot of time talking about Tesla and stuff.

Your analogy of the DC-to-AC change was flawed in the sense that it had actual scientific evidence to support such an assumption. Now, did I just sit around and make this all up? Technically, yes. But now I ask you this, how did Copernicus come up with the fact that we revolve around the sun, in a world full of people that thought the opposite? That's right, he sat around and thought it up. Does that mean that I'm right? By NO MEANS WHATSOEVER does that make me right. It was simply a thought that I had ran with based on the lack of it's use, and it's continued existence regardless of this lack. I just found it interesting, that's all, and I built upon that interest.

I base things on basic principles that I think apply universally on these kinds of things. For example, one asks why this redundant system is still here, when it's never been used? To that I answer that there are two possibilities. First is that the system can be used in conjunction with other local emergency services to alert the people in the event of something catastrophic. That makes good sense, but why wasn't it used on 9/11? That was of national interest, and at the time, we didn't know if there were anymore attacks on the way. By and large, if there had ever been a reason to sound that alert for real, that was it. But, it remained silent for the duration while everyone else hammered the incident to death. Why?

The second of the two possibilities I think is the more moderate, as well as more probable reason: it's not been used yet because it's being used, regardless of what we might like to think. For what? I don't know. But I know that the government doesn't fund a project for 60 years that's not being used. I guess that, based on this I'm a conspiracy theorist, and I'm fine with that, but how else will we ever learn anything as truth unless someone seeks it out?

I'm reminded of something that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said in his Sherlock Holmes novels: if you remove the obvious, the only thing left, regardless of how absurd, is more than likely the truth.

Will we ever know if there is something going on with the EBS? I doubt it, and even if we did, would the ones running it let us continue to think that way?

Just a thought....Sleep well.

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

join