It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Cells Fused with Computer Chip (Neuro-Chips)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The line between living organisms and machines has just become a whole lot blurrier. European researchers have developed "neuro-chips" in which living brain cells and silicon circuits are coupled together.

The achievement could one day enable the creation of sophisticated neural prostheses to treat neurological disorders or the development of organic computers that crunch numbers using living neurons.

To create the neuro-chip, researchers squeezed more than 16,000 electronic transistors and hundreds of capacitors onto a silicon chip just 1 millimeter square in size.

They used special proteins found in the brain to glue brain cells, called neurons, onto the chip. However, the proteins acted as more than just a simple adhesive.

LiveScience.com

I think that this is definately one of my favorite scientific developments so far this year.

This technology is a key sign for further advancement in the future.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I was just thinking about something along these lines in the shower tonight. When I think of something, it creates a unique electrical signature in my brain. What if something were to record these electrical firings when given a cue word. If I say: "File" then a circuit on the brain could record the electrical firings until I say "End File". This thought is then stored. If I were to say "Open File" the circuit would cause the nuerons in my brain to fire in the same pattern as when I filed the information, therefore producing a record of my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I wonder what would happen if you said "delete" or "reboot"?

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
As a Behavioral Health Technician This new technology really gets me excited. I work with mentally and emotionally disabled adults and many of them suffer from simple brain abnormalities or chemical imbalances that we attempt to regulate with a century old technique (popping pills). The advent of nanobiotechnology really opens the playing field for a lot of people. Imagine nolonger (or atleast severly diminished) having the mentally ill...nor thier tax on society.

Not only that....for those of us "normies( My nick for non disabled) we can hopefully get some new tricks.

The post above mine or maybe two above piqued my interest in that it might be possible to store our dreams and intrepret them more clearly instead of having to either relay on MONTHS AND MONTHS of lucid dream training if not years... or paying inordinatly large sums of money to charlatons(spelling?).

Also.....considering we ruffly use 10-12% of our brain....the possiblities of opening up whole new thought proccess is nothing short of breathtaking.

Great thread

El senor pom pom rides again

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
We better learn to treat the disabled a lot better as pretty soon, they may have first access to technology that will make them more capable then us in certain ways, a few might take this as the chance to get some....ahem...revenge for certain mistreatments they recieved in the past by particular people.

This already exists with a few vision impaired folks who got the Laser procedure done and ended up with better than 20/20 vision when they left. If we can learn to perfect these procedures...then all I can say is "POKE MY EYES OUT PLEASE"

Anyway, this particular technology is decades off from practical application as we still have very few ways of actually understanding the signals, except through the long and laborous task of trial and error(which is how the monkey experiments were conducted). We also need a way of imaging the brain down to the angstrom level, without harming the individual.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I thought that at full capacity, (Which is nothing more than a pipe dream in this reality) the human brain was alot more powerful than even the most advance computers. I personally would would donate my mind to science if I knew how. While I don't particularly like the government or the human race for that matter, I always like something that is hateful and aspires toward perfection.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicious Reddragon
I thought that at full capacity, (Which is nothing more than a pipe dream in this reality) the human brain was alot more powerful than even the most advance computers. I personally would would donate my mind to science if I knew how. While I don't particularly like the government or the human race for that matter, I always like something that is hateful and aspires toward perfection.

What do you mean by "full capacity"?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
I was just thinking about something along these lines in the shower tonight. When I think of something, it creates a unique electrical signature in my brain. What if something were to record these electrical firings when given a cue word. If I say: "File" then a circuit on the brain could record the electrical firings until I say "End File". This thought is then stored. If I were to say "Open File" the circuit would cause the nuerons in my brain to fire in the same pattern as when I filed the information, therefore producing a record of my thoughts.

I'm kinda diggin that idea. Patent it!! I would give my left ear to remember the things I have fogotten over the years. The worst being a girls phone number in the 9th grade that was supposed to lead to a sadie hawkins dance date I never showed up to. I felt like an idiot the next day at school, she never spoke to me again. Course that was 20 years ago, and there have been a great many things I've forgotten since but that one is burned into my brain for some reason. Oh, yeah and the pin code to the nukes at my house...

top topics

join