It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sueing over everything

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I am really sick and tired of people sueing everybody because of a wrong decision that they make. The people with the mindset that they can do what they want and if anything bad happens they can just sue the person. People are abusing lawsuits and some of them are flat out rediculous.

I've put several examples in here to show you the rediculous nature of some of these lawsuits. And after you're done laughing at them, when you see how much money they got, you will start crying.

www.power-of-attorneys.com...

Two high school baton twirlers, who were cut from the majorettes program at North Haven High in Connecticut, haved filed a lawsuit suing the coach, the athletic director and the high school principal, claiming the majorette coach violated their civil rights by cutting them from the team without just cause.

The mothers of the twirlers hired a lawyer to argue that, under the 14th Amendment, being a majorette is a noncompetitive activity that shouldn't exclude anyone. "We're just protecting our rights," said one of the mothers.

No, you don't have a right to be on the majorette team. This is rediculous. They don't like something so they decide they will sue.

People think they should get everything, and when they don't, they cause problems. It's gotten to the point that people are expecting to be shown how to drink coffee properly without burning themselves.

www.power-of-attorneys.com...
A West Virginia convenience store worker was awarded a whopping $2,699,000 in punitive damages after she injured her back opening a pickle jar, this according to a report in the Charleston Daily Mail.

The 'injured' worker also received $130,066 in compensation and $170,000 for emotional distress.

A State Supreme Court Justice, Spike Maynard, called this award an "outrageous sum." In his dissenting opinion, he wrote, "I know an excessive punitive damages award when I see one, and I see one here."

The court, however, upheld most of the punitive damages. Net result: $2.2 million.

2.2 Million dollars for "injuring" her back opening a pickle jar. How is this the store's problem? Next she'll sue because the company went out of business because they had to file bankruptcy, so she doesn't have a job.

:shk:

Next thing I'll due is sue the courts for extreme emotional distress.... for having to watch the judges let these things happen.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
2.2 Million! That's unbelievably ridiculous. I live in Scotland and my mate fell over a pile of baskets in ASDA (think it's part of the walmart chain) and suffered a sprained wrist and a black eye and walked away with only 4000 bucks. Makes me angry when people do this kinda thing without a genuine reason.

How the hell can you injure your back opening a pickle jar anyway? Is this pickle jar 10 feet high and 5 feet wide? Do you need a ladder to get up to the lid and a helmet for good measure?? Unbelievable!

JRod.

[edit on 27-3-2006 by JRod1984]

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I seriously hate these people. Worst thing ive ever read is the one who made 12.000.000 bucks off MacDonalds because she spilled hot coffee on her lap. I'm sure she would have made just as much if the coffee was cold and she got mental traumes because she expected it to be hot and it wasn't. I hope she dies at a younger than average age.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yeah, that is pretty annoying how everyone sues over nothing most of the time.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Hi all,

Just wondering if this wave of sueing everyone is the direct result of so many people going into law school. Lawyers have to make a living, and anyone who goes to school for as long as they do probably feel they are destined for massive financial success. So they prey on the rich targets, regardless of the morality behind it. And as for the people who are hiring the lawyers, I feel its an American thing to want to get money for nothing, and although maybe they're morally bankrupt, money is what makes the world go round (for a lot of people anyway).

-Kwyjibo

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Kwyjibo -

I don't know if it is the law school kids driving this, but I am seeing lawyers advertising on TV and using the catch phrase, "It isn't your fault," even if it was your fault.

To me, it is the lawyers creating a supply where there is no demand, so people jump on the bandwagon and file frivolous lawsuits.

JDub

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
BlueTileSpook,

The lawyers are manipulating the demand to necessitate the need for more supply. The whole system is massively flawed and I don't know where the problem started or how to control it. The educated kids of today want to be doctors and lawyers. Soon there'll be way too many lawyers and frivilous lawsuits will abound to balance the supply. Lawyers are beneficial and do help people sometimes but the way things seem to be turning out are scary indeed.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The lawyers most definately egg it on.

"You deserve JUSTICE"

Justice is not money.

And more and more ads from attorneys are on television, which unfortunately means more and more are getting enough money to advertise and rip more companies off.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I don't mean to put you on the spot but do you see any way to change the situation (short of mass slaughter of lawyers). Law is supposed to be a respected career, yet it is seems to be quite the opposite. No doubt there are good lawyers out there, though. Honestly though, if you were injured and could get a huge settlement (more than necesary to cover medical/emotional trauma) wouldn't you take it?

-Kwyjibo

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I have the chance to sue a hospital right now for messing up on my last surgery. Instead of suing the hospital, my wife and I wrote a letter to the doctor in charge of the Neurology clinic that scheduled the surgery and did a bullet style list point-by-point of all the screwups. Their lawyers have been evaluating it for 6 weeks now, and I got my first reply from them just a few days ago.

My doc told me at my last appointment that I really shook up the admin of the hospital, and even he walks on egg shells around me. I wasn't nasty about it, but I was very direct in detailing what the problems were, what I suggested to correct the problems and that I did not want an reoccurance of the same in the future.

Yes, I could have sued, but I didn't feel it was the "right" thing to do. I may be out some money, but I can sleep at night. And my wife was part of the decision so she is comfortable with it too.

JDub

[edit on 4/7/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hi BlueTileSpook,

Just wanted to tell you I have of respect for the choices you made and not being the typical "me-first" type of person. I wish you the best of health and if anything similar ever happens to me I hope I have the integrity to do the right thing. Being able to sleep with a clear conscience at night should never be underestimated.

-Chears!

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Kwy -

Thank you for your kind words, but the wife and I debated for a good while on what we were going to do.

The hospital is in a major city in my state and they deal with indigents as the majority of their business. We have private insurance, so we felt it was better that we try to change the system for those that don't really have a voice of their own.

Hopefully the hospital will learn from letter and change things for the better.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

JDub

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Hi BlueTileSpook,

Just wanted to tell you I have a lot of respect for the choices you made and not being the typical "me-first" type of person. I wish you the best of health and if anything similar ever happens to me I hope I have the integrity to do the right thing. Being able to sleep with a clear conscience at night should never be underestimated.

-Chears!

[edit on 7-4-2006 by Kwyjibo]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Its like those idiots sueing McDonalds over the food being not healthy. Its fast food, fool! Didn't that grease driping off of your food give you a clue. Jeeze. Society amazes me sometimes.

-Jared

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Hey just wanna apologize for double posting. I'm not sure how in happened exactly but I guess alcohol does have its side effects.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTileSpook
I have the chance to sue a hospital right now for messing up on my last surgery. Instead of suing the hospital, my wife and I wrote a letter to the doctor in charge of the Neurology clinic that scheduled the surgery and did a bullet style list point-by-point of all the screwups. Their lawyers have been evaluating it for 6 weeks now, and I got my first reply from them just a few days ago.

My doc told me at my last appointment that I really shook up the admin of the hospital, and even he walks on egg shells around me. I wasn't nasty about it, but I was very direct in detailing what the problems were, what I suggested to correct the problems and that I did not want an reoccurance of the same in the future.

Yes, I could have sued, but I didn't feel it was the "right" thing to do. I may be out some money, but I can sleep at night. And my wife was part of the decision so she is comfortable with it too.

JDub

[edit on 4/7/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

You have no idea how much respect I have for people like you! Especially ,as someone in this thread put it, In a world where Justice=Money. Its disgusting how often people are willing to put their morals aside just to get their hands on money! Kind of like when a rich person goes to court instead of pressing criminal charges, people opt to take it to civil court where they can collect some cash?!?!

To many lawsuits not enough good reasons.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well, the thing is that if something wrong happens you want it fixed. Lots of people resort to sueing but I see that as counter-productive. Sure it sends a louder message, but then the place has less money and resources to fix the problem. Sueing a hospital, for example, because they used obsolite equipment which ended up in you having to get a couple of surgeries to correct the problem in order to make them get better equipment won't work too well. Sure, you'll get some money, but then the hospital has less money to buy better equipment. It's better to tell them they need new equipment now, and if they DON'T update their technology to help people they will face a lawsuit. Mistakes happen and you need to let the person have a chance to correct the issue, and if they won't listen to a letter, then it's time to MAKE them pay attention to you, IMO.

new topics

top topics

join