It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Celestine Prophecy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Have anybody read The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield?

A friend of mine recommended it to me a couple of years back, and not being much into anything "New Age" I thought nothing of it. Until I read it! Although it is fiction as such, many things debated in the book, appealed to me. For example the whole take on the concept of coincidence? A bit trivial on the fatalism/determinism issue, perhaps, but nevertheless, a new approach to me...

The sequel, if you will, (The Tenth Insight?) didn't appeal quite as much to me, seemed to me, he was just trying to strike while the iron was hot. (my opinion).

Another issue I found relevant, although not new, was that of energy transfer. I see it every day, though it might be dismissed as putting a name on something already appearent.

Dunno, just had to air it to hear if anybody has taken this thinking further, or had some opinions on the book itself...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I agree with you it was very commercial

I found it a bit " How to reach enlightenment in 10 days" kind of approach.

But the energy insight and the coincidences insight i thought were good.

I havent read the 10th insight yet

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 06:21 AM
link   
That booked sucked monkey balls. A piece of trash!
Would not recommend it to anyone
The write should go back to working at Mcdonalds

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 06:47 AM
link   
LelandGaunt: I see you've set your mood to angry
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, c'mon?!
Even the altruistic views about love for the next person? (kinda like this hippy from a couple of thousand years back mentioned) and the thing about giving and taking energy? (some ppl does anything to claim that their view is THE way, and forcing this upon others(i.e.cults...or very stubborn ppl))

I didn't say it answered all my yerning questions about everything (BTW the answer is 42
), but in it's own right it had some views that appealed to me... You dig?

But hey!; you're the man! I've had friends of mine saying the same! Doesn't mean I'm not allowed to form my own opinion on the matter, though...

Just my beerburb trying to make it to the ranks of ATS...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I agree with you there operator , a lot of the ideas in that book were christian based on some levels.

The energy work it talks about in the book I found fascinating...... the giving and recieving of energy. I was particularly drawn to the idea of getting addicted to someone else's energy field....... for some reason that fascinated me at the time. I havent picked up my copy for a while I'll have to go re-read it to refresh my memory.

for being a Douglas Adams fan

have you read the 10th insight?

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yeah I read the 10th Insight, mulberry, but as I said; it didn't live up to TCP at all, IMHO.

The Hitchhikers Guide...Great frockin' book, ey?!

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
operatoreleven..

I agree.. Celestine was a fun read but 10th insight was a flop IMHO..

What about Quinn's Ishmael?

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Haven't heard of it, kukla, what is it about?

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Its a favorite of mine. Excellent read into the human mind and spirit. Right up there with zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Here's a snippet from amazon. There's more on their page. Daniel Quinn. Ishmael. Chapter 1.

The first time I read the ad, I choked and cursed and spat and threw the paper to the floor....

...Then I dug the paper out of the trash and turned back to the Personals section, just to see if the damn thing was still there and just the way I remembered it. It was.

TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person.

An earnest desire to save the world! Oh, I liked that. That was rich indeed. An earnest desire to save the world-yes, that was splendid. By noon, two hundred moonclafs, softheads, boobies, ninnyhammers, noodleheads, gawkies, and assorted oafs and thicwits would doubtless be lined up at the address give, ready to turn over all their worldlies for the rare privilege of sitting at the feet of some guru pregnant with the news that all will be well if everyone will just turn around and give his neighbor a big hug.

You will wonder. Why is this man so indignant? So bitter? It's a fair question. In fact it's a question I was asking myself...

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Celestene was a real good read...entertaining

i sure didn't take it as a 'gospel' or a cult maker (ala Dyanetics et al by Hubbard)

'movies' & fiction stories are meant to be seen thru the
eyesight of ones --->>'Suspension Of Dis-Belief', eh?

but, that's just my view....

Castenadas, Don Juan the Shaman-Warrior was good 2
....but, does anyone around here 'GROK'?
(stranger/strange land- heinlein...2 generations ago)

**on coincidence= celestine,made way for a counter-point/other reality book(s)-> Left Behind series...wot?

the g-ds are toying with us??
s/riff raff

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraffalunas
Celestene was a real good read...entertaining

i sure didn't take it as a 'gospel' or a cult maker (ala Dyanetics et al by Hubbard)

'movies' & fiction stories are meant to be seen thru the
eyesight of ones --->>'Suspension Of Dis-Belief', eh?

but, that's just my view....

Castenadas, Don Juan the Shaman-Warrior was good 2
....but, does anyone around here 'GROK'?
(stranger/strange land- heinlein...2 generations ago)

**on coincidence= celestine,made way for a counter-point/other reality book(s)-> Left Behind series...wot?

the g-ds are toying with us??
s/riff raff

i GROK. one of the best books ever, by the way. poignant as all get out.
something's toying with us. i don't know if it's the gods, though. i've got my monad on fate stream steering technologies of the illuminati.
the energy exchange phoenomena seems to be in effect in cyberspace, too, yeah?
the hypersubjective interpretation of life is something i've been going through since 911. everything is DEFINITELY connected.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If you liked Celestine Prophecy read Be Here Now. Both are great books. I liked how intuition kept playing into the story in the Celestine Prophecy and it explains the disappearance of people. ( by phasing them out of 3d existence as they evolve to a higher vibrational level.) I also could see how the church would want to suppress things like the Celestine Prophecy.

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I've read The Celestine Prophecy and I thought it was good. And yes, good to keep in mind that it's fiction, but a lot of what was said could very well be.

Another book I read shortly after was called 'Way of the Peaceful Warrior' by Dan Millman.

there's a review on it here

I don't know how much truth I put into any of these books. But like us, there must be people out there who have experienced the unexplainable and perhaps this is their way to get the ideas of what might be happening to them out there for us to think about and discuss.

In the end, it is always best to go with that which you yourself have experienced.

Another thing I feel a need to point out. I find it interesting how we read these new age books as if we're looking for answers and enlightenment. We could read the bible and get that yet so many of us don't put as much time and effort into that book as some others. Just a thought I was having, had to share.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I've just read the third book in the series, The secret of Shambala. i found it to be quite a good read, really a reinforcement of the first. I like the way Redfield gets across his message of peace love etc. by using a story, if the book was written in a way that said go out do this and do that and the world would be a better place i dont think the same message would get across. interstingly in this book he talks a lot about the world governments taking complete control of the internet, phones etc.and wanting to insert all humans with electronic chips in an attempt to contol information and track us all. REMIND YOU OF ANYTHING GOING ON JUST NOW, just a thought

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I read TCP and thought it was good.

A bit campy, but some very good depictions, like the chapter about anger and arguments.

It bothered me that James Redfield never (to my knowledge) showed the text of the insights. I never appreciate grand new religious texts that I can't see for myself.

Overall I would say it is not groundbreaking, but a good read.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I tried to read this book, I honestly tried. It was so poorly written I couldn't do it. The writing was barely what could be considered English.

It's my fault, I know. It was a best seller and millions loved it.

It would have been much better if the author new how to construct a sentence.

I can tolerate bad writing for a post or even a thread. I can't wade through a whole book of it though.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by operatoreleven

I did not read the book, but I saw the movie on DVD, and liked it.
Whether it be fiction or not, it does touch on a few things that resonated with me, and as with anything I watch or read, I think it's best to take what you like from it and leave the rest.

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK NOR WATCHED THE MOVIE BUT I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT IT THO AND FOUND IT VERY INTERSTING.
ONE OF THE THINGS I FIND EXTERMELY OVERWHELMING IS THAT I GET STUCK IN THE NEXT PERSON'S ENERGY WHE THEY SPEAK ABOUT IT.
IN MANY WAYS IT CAN EFFECT ALOT OF PEOPLE SUBCONCIOSLLY NOT KNOWING ABOUT IT AND REALISING IT LATER
NEW WRITER:
THE WORLD IS GOING THROUGH A MANIFESTATION WHEREBY THE SO CALLED MIND IS BEING CLEANSED, PROCESSED AND RENEWED, WHEN WE EVOLVE AS INTELLIGENT BEINGS WITH WISDOM AND UNDERSTANDING WE WILL CLEARLY SEE ALL OF OUR GOALS AND PURPOSES AS HUMAN BEINGS OR TRUE PROTECTERS OF OUR PLANET, A PURE EXAMPLE OF THIS IS THE MERE FACT THAT NONE OF US USES OUR BRAIN UP TO 15% YET!!! THE FUTURE WILL ONLY TELL!!! SEE YOU THERE WITH LOADS OF LOVE, LIGHT AND PURITY!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have read the first book, and I actually liked it.. When I first started it I got kinda sceptic because I felt it was poorly written, but it grew on me.
It`s not a masterpiece, but entertaining and I like the consept of it.

I have just started the second book, so I don`t have an oppinion on it yet.

Anyway, I`m into the whole "alternative stuff", so I find the story interesting. It`s not a long book, so it wouldent be a waste of time to read it if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessedUpAnnie
Another thing I feel a need to point out. I find it interesting how we read these new age books as if we're looking for answers and enlightenment. We could read the bible and get that yet so many of us don't put as much time and effort into that book as some others. Just a thought I was having, had to share.

Have you ever researched the bible? It was put together by politicians circa 300CE from material from other religions.

That being said I do agree with the first part of your post.

Originally posted by MessedUpAnnie
I don't know how much truth I put into any of these books. But like us, there must be people out there who have experienced the unexplainable and perhaps this is their way to get the ideas of what might be happening to them out there for us to think about and discuss.
In the end, it is always best to go with that which you yourself have experienced.

And keep in mind that current politicans tightly control our media in all forms, even books and movies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join