It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hayward Fault "Locked and Loaded"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
With the approaching 100th anniversary of the massive San Francisco Earthquake of 1906 just three weeks away, scientists are saying the next big quake to strike the region will most likely come from the Hayward Fault, just across the Bay. A magnitude 6.7 to 7.0 quake could strike the area at any moment, experts say.

www.usatoday.com
It's the geologists, emergency planners and historians who seem to do most of the worrying, even in this year of heightened earthquake awareness for the 100th anniversary of San Francisco's Great Quake of April 18, 1906.

Several faults lurk beneath this region, including the San Andreas Fault on the west side of the Bay area, but geologists say the parallel Hayward on the Bay's east side is the most likely to snap next.

"It is locked and loaded and ready to fire at any time," said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Tom Brocher.

The Hayward Fault runs through one of the country's most densely populated areas; experts say 2 million people live close enough to be strongly shaken by a big quake.

It slices the earth's crust along a 50-mile swath of suburbia east of San Francisco, from exclusive hilltop manors overlooking the bay to Hayward's humble flatlands. It snakes beneath highway bridges, strip malls, nursing facilities and retirement centers, and it splits the uprights of the football stadium at the University of California, Berkeley.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If I lived in that area, I wouldn't be so blase' about it. Having lived in SoCal all my life, I have experienced big quakes from the Sylmar quake of '71 through the Northridge quake of '94, and they are nothing to take lightly. God help those people in the Bay Area if a big quake does strike there.

I hope local emergency services are more prepared than the residents of the area. They can't be relying too much on FEMA after what happened in NO.

Related News Links:
www.lafire.com
www.dis-inc.com

[edit on 27-3-2006 by Icarus Rising]

mod edit to supply good link

[edit on 28-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'd like to think that California and the Bay area will survive the big one relatively unscathed.
I marvel that people are as unconcerned as they are. I'll take the Midwest and all it's weather issues over living near all those fault lines out west.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I always wondered how property values can stay so high, when at any minute your home, business or infrastructure could crack into rubble, get covered by a mudslide, or burn up in a wildfire. Maybe they will have a mass riot that rolls into anarchy in SoCal and it won't matter if the big one hits.

The ocean must have a hypnotic effect that drowns out investment risk ratios and a sense of safety.

[edit on 28-3-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
In early 1968, at Las Pulgas in Camp Pendleton, I was on mess duty. It was in the middle of the afternoon and the mess deck was cleared for a sweep down and a swabbing when all of a sudden things began to rattle and some things began to fall off shelves and, I swear, the mess deck was undulating like ocean waves. It was very disorienting as I had never experienced such, but it was over in a very short time and there was no serious damage, but it certainly convinced me that that was all I ever needed to know about plate tectonics.

I saw a documentary several years ago in which the host insisted that undulating ground is completely inconsistent with the physics of earthquake dynamics, but that such reports are extant from antiquity. I think I know what I saw, but I must admit that I was just doing my best to stay on my feet and decide just what I was to do next, so I guess my perceptions might have been somewhat impaired at the time.

[edit on 2006/3/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
IF a big quake hits California during that petty little man's administration, God help them, cause if Katrina/Rita is any indication, he won't. He will be on vacation cutting brush, again. If it does happen and he and his adimistration do respond as well as they did for Katrina, and i wouldn't expect anything less (or should it be anything more?) from them I swear it would be the effective end of his reign.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Grady, I think it has to do with how close you are to the epicenter of the quake, how deep beneath the surface the quake is located, and the type of quake that occurs. The closer to the epicenter and surface, the more bunched up the shock waves are, kind of like the old stone in the pond ripple effect.

I have felt what you describe during the Landers quake of July 28, 1992. I was visiting at a friends house on Catalina Island, he lived in one of the old cottages over there, and the whole place was going up and down and side to side like crazy. I was looking at one spot on the ceiling, and it was moving a good three feet in each direction as the shock waves rolled through. I don't know how the place held together.

Landers Quake link

quake type link

Surface waves have two kinds
Long waves-travel horizontally and move the ground side to side and are long and slow.
Rayleigh waves-make the ground roll like waves in the ocean.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I too am a native Californian,every building being built here was be up to sesmic standards,not earthquake proof but able to sustain a quake,I look at the New Madrid fault,in those areas majority of buildings were built to no specific standards,when the quake hits there,will do a thousand fold of damage to buildings in surrounding area,Calif will survive,bit I'm thinking that midwest ,east will have untold distruction

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
This is scary. But I used to sleep through quakes when I lived in California. One does get blase about the danger, and kind of fatalistic.

...What about the technology used to "bleed" the stressors? Doesn't work here?

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Seeing how as Im writing this Im what 5 miles from the San Andreas I don't think anybody is blase about the Big One. However, my family is prepared as are most families in the area. Can't do much more than that.

posted on Mar, 30 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

However, my family is prepared as are most families in the area. Can't do much more than that.

You could move your family to a safer location.

Staying is blase IMO.

new topics

top topics

join