It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man whispers divorce in his sleep. Islam makes them seperate for real!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I find myself apparently disconnected with earthly logic on this one. They say that if she they want to remarry, they need to separete for 100 days and the woman has to sllep witho another man. Is this isane? Are their muslims on this forum that can put this into some perspective for us? AAC

www.cnn.com... html

(mod edit: headline fix)

[edit on 27-3-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm sorry to have to say this, but these people are just plain NUTS!

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The day I'd let my wife sleep with another man, HA! Not to mention all the other things that one could say in their sleep. How can one possibly justify this? There's got to be a point when you go, wait, that just don't make any sense, right? AAC

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Islam is a non-centralized religion. That is, there is no central authority that governs Islamic teaching. There is no "Vatican" for Islam.

Anyone who reads the Koran and memorizes passages, it would seem, can become an Imaam. Please correct me if I am wrong because I really do not know. I am only expressing what I can discern from a number of sources which, instead of clarifying things, only make things more confused. And this is, essentially my point. Islam is a religion of interpretation. What one Imaam says about something is not always what another Imaam might say.

A close friend of mine is from Afghanistan. He has described situations in Afghanistan where the Imaams do not even know how to read the Koran. But it is easy for some of the more clever Imaams to simply lie and express their own beliefs and to say that this is what is written in their Holy Book.

Except for sectarian divisions between Moslems, there does not seem to be any legislative body, so to speak, where the Koran is interpreted and held to a standard to which everyone can agree. Of course, Islam is open to varying interpretations because in many areas, the rate of illiteracy is extremely high. And for some, being Islamic means to maintain a blend of cultural superstition and the main, basic, tenets of the Koran all under the guidance of an Imaam who may or may not even know how to read or understand the teachings of the Prophet.

Naturally, Christians also have this problem in interpreting the Bible. But, and I only say this because I am Christian, Christianity seems to be less confusing in the interpretation process. At least in Christianity, according to different sects, there seems to be a governing body to proclaim and enforce the proper teachings of the beliefs proscribed.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The news shouldnt be reporting this...Its like reporting that Joe & Eileen got into a brawl at a locar bar.....

What the hell kind of news is this? Who cares????

KORN news, thats for sure.

By the way, Joe was spotted in the barn sweettalking the sheep....

For an indepth report, tune in at 11pm

[edit on 27-3-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
Anyone who reads the Koran and memorizes passages, it would seem, can become an Imaam. Please correct me if I am wrong because I really do not know.

Actually, any muslim male who has gone past puberty can be an Imam. As long as you know how to conduct prayers, you can be an Imam. An Imam is basically the one who leads the prayers. Usually they select an Imam for a masjid (mosque) by majlis (concensus). So usually the one with the most knowledge of the religion gets to be Imam, but that's not always the case.

Anyway this news is just a distraction. It just seems like these days the MSM will jump on anything controversial that happens in the muslim world.

And to the OP, how nice of you to conveniently drop this important bit of information from the news:

"This is a totally unnecessary controversy and the local 'community leaders' or whosoever has said it are totally ignorant of Islamic law," said Zafarul-Islam Khan, an Islamic scholar and editor of The Milli Gazette, a popular Muslim newspaper.

"The law clearly says any action under compulsion or in a state of intoxication has no effect. The case of someone uttering something while asleep falls under this category and will have no impact whatsoever," Khan told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I also think the title is grossly misleading. If it had been "Man whispers divorce in his sleep. Imam makes them seperate for real!" it would have been accurate.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Ya'll have missed a very important point to all of this.

If the guy mumbled in his sleep, then the only one who could
have heard it and reported it to the fellow muslims would
have been the wife. Did he REALLY mumble it in his sleep??

Sounds to me like perhaps she wanted out of the marriage.
Could she already have someone else in mind to go sleep with?
hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. CONSPIRACY!

I say good for her! She's going to use the system, that usually
goes against the woman, to her own advantage!!
Hope she has a great 'legal' affair with the other guy!

[edit on 3/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Good point, FlyersFan. I didn't see it from that angle.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
What made me really upset, is how the religious court ruled.

Associated Press

The religious leaders said that before remarrying, the couple would have to be apart for at least 100 days and that the wife, Sohela, would also have to spend a night with another man and then be divorced by him

The poor, poor woman.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This news is reported here to deepen our horror for these people.

Like i said, who cares.

top topics

join