It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas to Arrest Drunks in Bars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commision will begin sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, say spokeswoman Carolyn Beck.

Finding drunks in a bar -- what are the chances?

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said on Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkeness, Beck said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I appreciate their goal, that is to catch drunks before they get out and do something stupid like drive a car, I can't help but laugh at the situation.

And then after that I'm shocked by it. This reminds me of Minority Report's Pre-Crime division.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Hate to say this but is'nt that the reason to go to a bar in the first place??

C'mon, They could'nt possibly have enough room to put everybody (drunk in bars) in jail!!

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard of...

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
hey man i had a friend get arrested at buffalo wild wings for pulbic intoxication

batstard cops always messing with us texansstop messing iwht texas!!!!!

[edit on 27-3-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
hey man i had a friend get arrested at buffalo wild wings for pulbic intoxication
batstard cops always messing with us texans

So, you can go to a bar or restaurant and drink alcoholic beverages, but you can't get drunk!!

ABSURD!!

Everyone's tolerance for alcohol is different. I know guys who can down a six pack like it was water, I can't even drink 2 beers without getting

And nevermind about hard liquor!! But texans are made from hearty material, or so the old western movies make you think so.

Anyways, I'll drink to that.

Go Texas!!

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Arresting drunk people in Texas is like arresting fat people at Dunkin Doughnuts. Talk about shooting fish in a barrel :w: you just can't interfere with a man's God given right to get hammered and act stupid. Im pretty sure it's in the constitution somewhere.

Don't Mess with Texas

[edit on 27-3-2006 by BlackOps719]

[edit on 27-3-2006 by BlackOps719]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'm speechless... Don't cops have better things to do? Like... I dunno... Maybe standing outside a bar and seeing what drunk people get in their own cars? You could be a responsible drunk... Willing to pay for a taxi... Yet get arrested?

Damn... Someone needs to invent a personal breathalizer so us drinkers can monitor our own Alcohol levels. Can't even have dinner and a bottle of wine on a date anymore.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   
pre-crime?

Its illegal to be drunk in public.

So, you can go to a bar or restaurant and drink alcoholic beverages, but you can't get drunk!!

ABSURD!!

uhmmm, why? Public intoxication is illegal, and has been for a very long time.

Can't even have dinner and a bottle of wine on a date anymore.

Does anyone actually think that they are going to arrest people who've had just a few drinks??? Or that they are going to be requiring breathalyzer tests from everyone in the bar? They are going to be arresting the obviously drunken fools stumbling about the place, causing fights, conducting themselves in a disorderly manner, and otherwise disturbing the peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I agree with the standard they are trying to set as long as their is a grey area. I mean if somebody has had a beer too many and is quietly on his way home, then just let him be.

This should be used to prevent the guys from falling all over the place, drooling as he talks and simply can not handle his liquor.

Can be a good step if it does not get out of hand.

Should be understood on a case to case basis.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I actually posted this in the wrong thread before. Here is my input on this subject.
You may be interested to know that you do not have to be drunk or even intoxicated by any alcohol or drug to be arrested in TX for a PI:

The Law

Public Intoxication Statute of Texas

49.02 Public Intoxication

"Public Intoxication" means:

A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

"Intoxicated" is defined as:

not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or

having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

An offence under this section is a Class C Misdemeanor. An individual adjudged guilty of a Class C misdemeanor shall be punished by a fine not to exceed $500.00. However, for a minor, the punishment terms are in the same manner as if he committed the offense of Possession of Alcohol by a Minor.

Burden of Proof

All persons are presumed innocent and no person may be convicted of an offense unless each element of the offense is proven beyond a reasonable doubt. The fact that a person has been arrested, confined, or indicted for, or otherwise charged with the offense gives rise to no inference of guilt at that person's trial.

Unfortunately, the only evidence that is required or is admissible in the Texas courts is the testimony of the arresting officer. The "offender" cannot submit results from a BAT (Blood Alcohol Test) or any other evidence that would dispute the officers testimony.
Recently, a freind of mine was arrested and held in the Denton County jail under the PI laws. The problem here is that both the officer as well as the jail got very very lucky. My friend has Diabetes and had gone into a diabetic shock at a local park. Instead of checking to see if there was any other reason for my freind's behaviour, the officer assumed that he was "drunk" and sent him to jail. He luckily recovered. When he went in for his hearing, the judge denied him the ability to submit the ER's medical report. He had to pay $500 in order to leave the court room.
The PI laws in TX are a joke and is a great way for the local police departments to pad their budgets!
Texas PI Law

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
Damn... Someone needs to invent a personal breathalizer so us drinkers can monitor our own Alcohol levels. Can't even have dinner and a bottle of wine on a date anymore.

I used to do some drinking at a bar called "Talakapaki's" or something similiar about 15 years ago in downtown Seattle. They had a breathalyzer mounted on the bar, and the patrons only had to buy the "tubes" for attaching to the machine to breathe into it. It was more of a novelty at the time, but some used to to show themselves when they had had enough.

JDub

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm stunned by this development. This is totally asinine. Can I use that word?

What is happening in this country? You can be arrested for being drunk in a bar? WHAT?

Speechless. Speechless. For me, a completely unusual occurrence.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
They are going to be arresting the obviously drunken fools stumbling about the place, causing fights, conducting themselves in a disorderly manner, and otherwise disturbing the peace.

In other words... Enjoying themselves.

In a bar.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by LostSailor]

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Can anybody see the progression here.

Cops can arrest you in a bar for pub intox.
Next they will be able to go into private residences and arrest you for drinking infront of your kids or even if your kids are in the house. Potential child abuse.
Get ready for absolutely no privacy at all; the authorities are going to be involved in anything and everything they feel may be a threat to the "greater good"

Next genetic investigators, to see if you might have any antisocial traits; if you do then off to the gulags.

Am I just paranoid. It's all those trashy sci-fi novels that did this to me.

It's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house!

If you want to see the future; read Kurt Vonneguts' stuff.

I still love Texas and Texans; Im glad I don't live there anymore though!

[edit on 29-3-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Sou rce

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) - A controversial Texas program to send undercover agents into bars to arrest drunks has been halted after a firestorm of protest from the public.

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has "temporarily suspended" what it called "Operation Last Call" even though it still believes it was worthwhile, commission spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said on Thursday.

"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," she said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kind of expected it.

top topics

join