It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya's Gaddafi lectures U.S. on democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi lectured a U.S. audience on democracy on Thursday and said Libya is the only real democracy in the world.

"There is no state with a democracy except Libya on the whole planet," Gaddafi said to the conference at Columbia University in New York.

Read it all here.

I found this piece to be more than hilarious. I damn well almost fell out of my chair.

Just wanted to share this article with the rest of you so you can have a good chuckle.

WARNING: Strap yourself into your chair and wear a crash helmet before reading.

Mod Edit: How to Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Gaddafi is off his rocker and has been for a few decades. He's looking pretty good in his pimp threads, though.

[edit on 2006/3/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well, aside from Gadaffi being essentially a military dictatorship...What do you think of the concept of a people's congress?

Libya's Jamahiriyah system, under which Libyans can air their views at "people's congresses," is genuine democracy, said Gaddafi, who spoke through a translator and was dressed in purple robes and seated at a desk in front of a map of Africa.

"Countries like the United States, India, China, the Russian Federation, are in bad need of this Jamahiriyah system," he said. "This is a savior to them."

I'd like to have a people's congress! I know, I know, you may say, that's what our regular Congress is. Let's not kid ourselves, the constituents of most politicians in Congress are the lobbyists. Essentially, those with the most amount of money are able to be candidates in the first place. All the people decide on is who is less corrupt.

Aside from such a forum expressing the recurrent interests of the people, it can also serve to express any interests that occur due to new developments.

The particulars of such a forum is not what I really care to talk about, but rather if such a concept is needed in politics today.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I find this statement curious:

Challenged by the U.S. moderator about freedom of speech, Gaddafi said every Libyan was free to express his opinions at the congresses and that was a better forum than a newspaper.

"Every Libyan is free to express his opinions at the congresses", eh? What about on the street corner or the coffee shop? It seems to me that the congress is an excellent way of identifying the rabble-rousers. And then what happens to them?

Btw, I live in New England and we have Town Meetings. And we're still allowed to publish newspapers also.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 02:23 PM
link   
He should have also talked about freedom to plant bombs on Pan Am airplanes as part of democracy.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Gaddafi is off his rocker and has been for a few decades. He's looking pretty good in his pimp threads, though.

You got to wonder about the people that follows a leader that wears such flamboyant clothing.

You just got to wonder wear Hollywood gets their fashion ideas. I think we just found out.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If you think Kadaffy's wardrobe is perplexing, how about spelling his name?

www.straightdope.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If you think Kadaffy's wardrobe is perplexing, how about spelling his name?

I like your spelling of his name. About the same as I'd given him.

Thanks for this link Grady. But I still can't find the correct spelling, so here it is. Exclusively for the members at ATS.

Moomar Ka'Daffy

[edit on 29/3/06 by Intelearthling]

new topics

top topics

join