It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth to have close brush with comet

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
Thread Link

What's your point? That there is another thread on this topic and that this one should be closed?

This one was started before the other one (by nearly a month), and while both are discussing the comet, this one was originally started with the intent to inform people about it. The other one, which you so graciously provided us a link with, was to discuss the potential (or serious lack thereof) for it to impact the Earth.

So really, what was your point in that post?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

Thread Link

What's your point? That there is another thread on this topic and that this one should be closed?

This one was started before the other one (by nearly a month), and while both are discussing the comet, this one was originally started with the intent to inform people about it. The other one, which you so graciously provided us a link with, was to discuss the potential (or serious lack thereof) for it to impact the Earth.

So really, what was your point in that post?

HUH???

Are you trying to provoke me in some way cause it sure seems like it to me.

The OBVIOUSE reason I would link to the other thread is that I didn't want to have to re-post all the info from one thread to another.

It seems to me that you are not there to promote discussion about a potential strike but rather discredit anyone who has something to say with any scientific weight about it...

An Earth strike whether you realise or not is AN INEVATABILTY!!!
A matter of WHEN not IF.

So please stop being so negative to my posts, I have done nothing to contravene Abovetopsecrets rules and so have nothing to fear from sending SkepticOverlord a message about how you are being unconstructive as a moderator....

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
www.barry.warmkessel.com...

I was just going to post this. Ya' beat me to it!
I don't believe all the prophecies on this abstract
but it's well put together (for those who do).

It's a good read for those into this stuff.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Wow, I was wondering, what are the chances that the two of these comets collide with each other? From those Nasa links that were posted, they both look to be right upon us on May 15. They are far enough away not to hit us, but what about each other?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
(...) dont worry snowball dont hurt or do they (...)

Yes they do. It doesn't matter whether or not it's merely "dirty ice" (a comet) or a rock (an asteroid). In both cases it's a thing coming at you at such a high speed that it will slam against you rather violently and the effects will be exactly the same. It's size, not composition, that matters here.

Moreover, the Stardust probe that returned recently with samples from the tail of comet Wild (?) has changed the long-held consensus established by Fred Whipple, the astronomer who first described comets as "dirty snowballs" --different types of ice, plus dust. "Fancy" atoms like vanadium and titanium were found to be present in the samples, and this has confounded scientists, because only in places with very high temperatures will they form--places where you wouldn't come across frozen matter. They've come up with only two possible explanatios for this so far.

Next week's lecture: Do Reptilian Demons Munch Ice? (Not another wild Icke theory)

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It seems to me that you are not there to promote discussion about a potential strike but rather discredit anyone who has something to say with any scientific weight about it...

All the people with "scientific weight" on the topic say it is not going to impact. So I'd say I'm not doing any discredit to them. The only I am doing is what I can to prove wrong the people who believe that this actually has a remote chance of impacting the Earth. Some people just prove harder than others.

An Earth strike whether you realise or not is AN INEVATABILTY!!!
A matter of WHEN not IF.

Yes, I know that. Just this one won't be the when. And if it is, you can say "I told you so" all you want. Until then though, I stand very firm in my opinion.

So please stop being so negative to my posts, I have done nothing to contravene Abovetopsecrets rules and so have nothing to fear from sending SkepticOverlord a message about how you are being unconstructive as a moderator....

A a veiled threat? Feel free. I have taken no Moderator/FSME actions in either thread, expect maybe a couple applauses where they were deserved. Before you waste your time though, I suggest you read through this thread: Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)

[edit on 4/27/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
again ... for those interested in comet prophecy with this thing ...

members.aol.com...

Don't forget why the Vatican built it's observatory.
Specifically stated in 1997 - 'for what will be coming
AT US in five to ten years'. That was said 9 years
ago ... hmmm ....

I went and revived the old Garabandal thread down in
the prophecy forum ... just FYI for those interested.
I don't buy Garabandal, but this is getting interesting.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Macrento]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
OMG, i'm starting to get antsey about this one.

I dont want to die just yet. I dont even think the scientists are going to come out with this one if its true.

I hate when this stuff happens
I would much rather read that this was all an elaborate hoax.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
dg it probably won't happen.

BUT .. if it makes you feel better... take some vacation time,
pack up the car, and go up to North Conway NH (or thereabouts).
Do you have vacation time? Take it anytime from May 15-31.

That's UP at a higher altitude and it's less than a day's drive
from where you are. It's nice up there so if nothing happens
you have had a nice vacation in the mountains at a nice time
of year.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So dgtempe,

When we are still here in a few months, and 73P is interstellar dust through evaporation. Will you than believe them NASA tech guys next time they say it's not going to hit us??

It seems strange that we don't believe a government organisation so well funded, and with so many competing counterparts throughout the world. Do you think that they don't know what they are talking about, and that they will not think twice before sending out a press release?

What do you do for a living?? Should I question you every step of the way, on the thing you are an expert on?? Please advise us all whether your opinion stems from a professional judgement, or from laymans gut-feeling??

Best regards,

A scientific professional.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Devils Advocate
So dgtempe,

?

What do you do for a living?? Should I question you every step of the way, on the thing you are an expert on?? Please advise us all whether your opinion stems from a professional judgement, or from laymans gut-feeling??

Best regards,

A scientific professional.

What? This is rather jack-assish of you, specially for a "first post", to be implying i am a know-it-all and asking such questions.
Have a nice life.

Just noticed you've been around since 2002? You should know better.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by dgtempe] Oh, and imo, anyone who is so angry about anything i might have said [?] is scared. Dont be, this too shall pass.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
There's 1000's of backyard astronomers, dozens of universities and many who are renting time on the big scopes watching this. NASA trying to cover up anything in regards to this comet, would about as effective as a screendoor on a sub keeping out water.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
There's 1000's of backyard astronomers, dozens of universities and many who are renting time on the big scopes watching this. NASA trying to cover up anything in regards to this comet, would about as effective as a screendoor on a sub keeping out water.

I'll give you that much
True. But i wonder, who would you beleive, Regenmacher? I respect you and would like to know.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I'll give you that much
True. But i wonder, who would you beleive, Regenmacher? I respect you and would like to know.

I have my own scope, know a few local astronomers and most astronomers love sharing info. I would suggest to go to a local star party and meet a few of them.

International Astronomy Day! SATURDAY, MAY 6, 2006
You close to Brookline? Todd Gross is speaking aka weatherman.com from Cape Cod.
www.dexter-southfield.org...

The U of A is a reputable source of info and I have used meteorological data from them for many years with not a glich or hitch:
www.lpl.arizona.edu...

Some amatuer observation reports here:
www.astronomy.com...
www.csastro.org...
www.skyhound.com...

Send a question to Ask an Astronomer at Cornell University:
curious.astro.cornell.edu...

[edit on 27-4-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
most astronomers love sharing info.

How true is that!

More proof that if this were going to hit Earth, some of the more advanced amatuers would have caught on and blabbed. If not for the sake of saving mankind (possibly), then for the credit of being the first to say it's going to impact (more likely).

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I fully agree with those who posted saying that the amaturs
and the telescopes at the colleges (etc) would make it impossible
for NASA to cover anything up. They might try .. but if they
did they would fail.

dg ... ignore the previously posted mean comment.
You are free to express yourself and your feelings.
No problem!
If you are really nervous, pack
the car and take a ride up to the mountains as the
time gets closer. You'll be fine.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
NASA Clarifies Information on Comet Approach NASA.gov
Astronomers have been observing the comet for more than 75 years

im sorry but as i understand,te tradjectory plotted from thw origial spotters..
on 1930 August 24. estimated a route for the comet

AS A SINGLE BODY

it has now fragmented into 40 + pieces

ok sceptics... can any body on here... you know who you are you clever little
poopooheads"bugslife quote" tell me the EXACT tradjectory or each incoming fragmet...????

as i said before.. was a little fun with a bit of doomsdaying. but now it,s not looking so funny..

gravitational or impact influence from 2006gy2 could mean a big difference from a BIG DOOMSDAY JOKE and a serious local environmental disaster

please understand this is not my personal opinion.

while i am perfectly aware this would not be a "global killer",the immediate vicinity would be vapourised adjcent to an impact of even a small "truck" size piece of comet at 20,000 km,s ps due to the kinetic energy

ok here,s a bit of "doomsdaying for you too"
the freakiest day of my life was when i went to a local video shop' remember vcr,s????"

i followed before some of the studies of nostradamus.. with a SUPER HIGH degree of scepticism

guess what i saw on the cover that struck my mind!!!!

THE FALL OF COMMUNISM!!..

i laughed my poverbial boobies off as this was august 19991 and Mikhail Sergeevich Gorbachev had just been kidnapped by communist rebels protesting about his pro western/democratic stance

i actually put the video back as i thought."well that messes up his current "prophecy"

i stopped laughing the very next day when he was released and then shut down the kgb ,arrested his security force kidnappers and within weeks communism was officially wiped out!!!!!!!!!!

imagine your feeling when you had read this only the back of a sensationalist video cassette

i started backtracking a lot of his previous uncannily correct theories

napoleon. "hister"/ hitler , etc

i was particularly disturbed because directly after the fall of communism was.... guess what????

THE END OF DAYS

all references were to suggest it came from the middle east/death of mabus early in a conflict as... guess what 2??? 7 fiery comets passed overhead

ok maybe this is just bull pooopooo but!!!!

According to Nostradamus

CII, Q62
Mabus will soon die, then will come,
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

america is amassing troups for a assault on iran/time has run out on iran to shut down his nuclrear prog/iran hs threatened to wipe out isreal/iran is proposing releasing oil by the euro per barrel nest week/comet 73p is passing by within weeks

doesnt it seem that everything is getting kinda out of control,or is it just me getting paranoid.

personally i,m preparing for the worst,

ie stocking up on vodka blue label

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It is amazing how this topic has become so cluttered with mythology.

So has this latest split of the comet changed its trajectory? I really need to know because now is the time for me to stock up on booze and pot for my armagedon party. Seriously, this comet is interesting and full of suprises, I am hoping we it will become visible(this is unlikely since it is breaking up) or we get a wicked meteor shower from it.

edit:

There is not that much mythology on this topic, but the little bit there is annoys me, a scientist.

[edit on 27-4-2006 by jrod]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
honestly. i really hope so.

nothing more that guy fawkes night.but i have an increasingly sickening feeling in my stomach that a lot of normally scientifically/factual people are getting.

there is really just too much happening at the moment.

i,m pretty sure if more people knew there would be a global breakdown so maybe i do understand the keep silent attitude of governments

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join