It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth to have close brush with comet

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Wolf,

A comet that has a gas eruption could change it's course, but the change would be so slight that it would take years to detect the deviation. A gas disruption at this point will not cause any of those fragments to veer into the earth.

However, what is happening is that more fragments are being found further away from where the orbit of the original comet was. These fragments are much smaller than the parts that are closest to the original orbit. There is a decent possibility of an incredible meteor shower from this comet this May or June, but because the earth will be so far from the original orbit of the comet, the fragments are likely to be almost entirely too small to penetrate the earth's atmosphere.

Keep in mind that most anything smaller than a car has very little chance of striking the earth, especially. It would have to enter the earth's atmosphere near to perpendicular to the ground. Now fireballs and upper atmosphere explosions from entering projectiles are something to watch for. Also, it would be a great month to observe the Moon. The moon has no atmosphere to burn up metoers with, so we could witness some great impacts there.

Apart from the astronomical aspects of this which are great fun to witness, the possibility that this comet could mark the beginning of the end is something that should be considered. Only time will tell. I am of the mind that this is not that comet, but that there will be another similar to this one that will.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The first of the comet fragments is 28 million miles today and closing at a rate of about 900,000 miles per day.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
The first of the comet fragments is 28 million miles today and closing at a rate of about 900,000 miles per day.

So it's moved away? Because it was orginally projected to come 6 million miles away... Did you mean 2.8 million, maybe? Still though, that's nothing to worry about as far as impacts go.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I mean that today the first of the fragments are currently 28 million miles from Earth. Tomorrow the fragments will be about 900,000 miles closer.

In 3-4 weeks, one or two should be visible to the naked eye. In 6 weeks, the possibility of meteor showers from the comet debris comes into play. There is a possibilty that some of our satellites could get knocked out by meteors, especially the satellite SOHO. From May 21-25 there may be debris between the Earth and Sun that would make SOHO images quite interesting if it survives it.

Most of this is just prediction on my part, so you probably won't read anything about this anywhere else...at least not for a couple of weeks

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdjaguar
Schwassmann-Wachmann 3-X

This "piece" is now projected to come within 0.0327 AU on May 30, 2006.

This is 3 MILLION MILES closer than OP stated. (still 3 million away but this changing situation is worrisome)

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Don't know where you're getting your numbers from, jdjaguar, but close approach according to the Java app you reference is still 0.0607 AU on May 15.

Besides, that app isn't accurate enough to calculate close-approaches. Instead, use the link to their High Accuracy Ephemeris and you'll see that close approach is 2200UT 05-15-2006 and 0.0606 AU (or about 5.6 million miles).

[edit on 10-4-2006 by Zubeneschamali]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Greetings...

I have a post on the fragile earth forum: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I, and another member, was wondering if this block of ice could have something to do with this comet. Any feedback on this matter will be greatly appreciated. God Bless.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DearWife
Greetings...

I have a post on the fragile earth forum: www.abovetopsecret.com...
I, and another member, was wondering if this block of ice could have something to do with this comet. Any feedback on this matter will be greatly appreciated. God Bless.

well, no offense, but i dont think your post belongs here, dearwife. ice falls off of commercial aircraft every day as they move out of the high, cold altitudes and back into the warmer ones and then drop their landing gear and flaps, knocking melting ice off the aircraft. it's just not everday that one that large falls into a residential area and therefore gets noticed.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Snafu,

DearWife has done some amount of homework on this issue. It would appear that this block of ice did not fall from any aircraft. This means that one should examine other possibilities. I, for one, would not rule out a comet fragment. I would rule out a fragment from this comet 73P that is the focus of this discussion.

Speaking of such, 2 of the fragments of 73P, parts B & C, should become visible to binoculars in about 10 days or so when the moon doesn't come up until after midnight.

The fragments are moving up the east side of the constellation Bootes. I saw the fragments the other night through a 12" telescope the other night and now I'm looking forward to seeing them through binoculars.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yahoo News

MOD EDIT: Fixing a long link.

[edit on 4/19/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zubeneschamali
Don't know where you're getting your numbers from, jdjaguar, but close approach according to the Java app you reference is still 0.0607 AU on May 15.

zuben:

the applet has been changed.

the link originally had the piece approaching to the point I cited.

This bothers me as it shows that NASA/JPL do not have a handle on this cometary event.

it also makes all data suspect.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

MOD EDIT: Fixed bbcode and formatting errors

[edit on 16-4-2006 by AgentSmith]

TPL

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fakin Bacon
Yahoo News

That story was created by Weekly World News and is false.

MOD EDIT: Fixing a long link.

[edit on 4/19/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by davenman
The most important possibility that lies in this comet is a key sign of the advent of the prophecies by John the Apostle in Revelations. Read Revelations chapters 6 thru 8.

What I'd be looking for is a cloud of comet debris that makes the face of the Sun appear as through black sackcloth (potato sack)....and the refraction of the sun's light as it passes through the icy debris field causes the Moon to turn red.

Davenman,

I agree, there are alot of people that think that this coming ascension day May 25, 2006 through June 2 pentecost may be the rapture of the church and the sign you are speaking of above is what many are looking for.

Please see the following post comparing scripture and speaking of what you wrote about.
www.fivedoves.com...

Pastor Riley is a dilligent student of eschatology

My question to you is this, IS there a good possibility this could happen with the comet???

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's odd that so far nobody has mentioned Eric Julien, also known as Jean Ederman:

Forme r Military Air Traffic Controller Claims Comet Collision with Earth on May 25, 2006

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Macrento- Its not odd. People dont pay attention to this. They should. I have posted that story repeatedly and everyone thinks its a lie.

At least you and i are paying attention!

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Then maybe they'll pay attention to our resident prophet here, Moderator dbates, and his dream, which might be linked to this matter of the approaching comet fragment, since he has suggested that there could be an impact in the present season. See his thread at BTS/Dreams & Personal Predictions:

The Destruction of Dallas

I hadn't visited that thread for over a year now, and have just discovered that Mr. Bates has added a recent comment having to do with this fragmented comet, and he mentions Eric Julien's prediction.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Macrento
It's odd that so far nobody has mentioned Eric Julien, also known as Jean Ederman:

it has been mentioned on this thread, and as i observed there, how exactly is an ex-military controller qualified to make this kind of claim? ATC has absolutely nothing to do with astronomy.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Snafu,

Have you read the entire pdf file? As for me, i got it directly from Coast to Coast. You may think its silly, but i dont.
I think its worth looking at given the fact that all kinds of strange things are happening in our atmosphere, hurricanes inland, dust storms and the like.

So, dont dismiss us as nuts, please.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Of welcoming noobs like me today than having a meteor destroy us all in may! lol. i'll keep track, but not very concerned. Now wouldn't it be a great stunt for ratings if it came here, and Bush unveiled some new weapon to destroy the meteor?

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Snafu,

Have you read the entire pdf file? As for me, i got it directly from Coast to Coast. You may think its silly, but i dont.
I think its worth looking at given the fact that all kinds of strange things are happening in our atmosphere, hurricanes inland, dust storms and the like.

So, dont dismiss us as nuts, please.

dg, i never said you were nuts nor did i infer in any way that your belief in the possibility of this comet hitting us was wrong. i have obsolutely no idea what this comet is going to do besides what i read on the net. which is exactly my point....this guy is using a job field that has absolutely nothing to do with astronomy to headline his beliefs. as far as i'm concerned, that kind of sensationalism takes away any credibility he might have had.

and by the by, yes i read the entire thing. unlike some people here i dont comment without taking the time to read all the information provided (with the exception of certain 18 page long threads in which case i specifically state that i havent had time to read the whole thing).

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm aware of all the conventional objections aimed at Julien, like what snafu says about his not being qualified for the task of calculating orbits, as the BadAstronomy website suggests (www.badastronomy.com)...

"(...) [he] says he has tracked (using "NASA simulations" which means he went on the web and poked around with orbital simulators) a fragment of a comet (...)"

..but that's only part of the story: he claims to have access to ET sources that gave him the May 25 date for the collision. You either believe in the ET presence here on Earth, and maybe in other levels of reality, or you don't, but even if you do, you can choose not to trust Julien, either because you think he's an impostor, or psychotic, or because you suspect that his ET acquaintances are of the malevolent sort and are feeding him with disinformation. If you believe the latter, then you can choose to believe that he's a collaborator, or that he's unaware of the fact that he's being used as a disseminator of false information. In the former case etc. etc. etc.

To be discontinued

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join