It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth to have close brush with comet

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I never flinched once at this.

The people that should be castigated is the one's that buy into innuendo and hysteria, then spread it around like it's the truth. Fact is anyone connected to astronomical circles will tell you differently. Don't spend your life in fear on baseless claims. The sky is not falling.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHorseChestnut
Fact is anyone connected to astronomical circles will tell you differently.

But our information is too deeply based in fact for them to understand. I mean, look at my several posts debunking this crap. I can barely understand it! Besides, the "truth" that these nutters provide is so much more entertaining. After all, they do have made up or exaggerrated credentials and ET came and told them so. Why wouldn't you believe them?

[edit on 5/25/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I work with two people who believe everything they here on these radio shows and buy the books and tapes. If you try to talk to them they just get angry and it does no good. When the predictions prove false it makes no matter. You should have seen the panic around here on Y2K.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
Besides, the "truth" that these nutters provide is so much more entertaining. After all, they do have made up or exaggerrated credentials and ET came and told them so. Why wouldn't you believe them?

Exactly, I think the sensationalism is a big part of it. At the same time, I do believe there are a lot of people on the planet that just have this feeling in their gut that something is going to happen. Do I believe this no, I thought it was mostly funny, somewhat sad.

Though my crawfish etouffee is gonna burn if I don't watch it. I loving being from New Orleans, though I would have crapped if a "tidal wave" came again... that's what it felt like last summer.

Oh well, another day, another dollar... only this time, I have a feeling Mr. Eric is going to be getting the dollar in his pocket from a movie deal or something.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
anyone try to hit up the savelivesinmay.com site? It is completely shut down

Eric Julien (As assumed a month ago) is a crazy bafoon!!!!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
This is not a joke. Innocent people’s lives have been disrupted. This person belongs in jail along with all the other scaremongers who take advantage of illiterate people for financial gain.

You really can't look at it like that though. People are free to believe what they want to believe. What if someone is being sincere and truly had information about something catastrophic? If it was made to be illegal it might scare honest people off. Its up to the people to differentiate between fantasy and non-fiction.

Edit: The one thing I did not like about this guy was his intentional deletion of messages and banning of people that were trying to debunk him...Now that part I agree with you he should face some kind of correction on since he basically just let people see only his side. That is the only crime I can see that was intentional.

Pie

[edit on 25-5-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
You really can't look at it like that though. People are free to believe what they want to believe. What if someone is being sincere and truly had information about something catastrophic? If it was made to be illegal it might scare honest people off. Its up to the people to differentiate between fantasy and non-fiction.

I'd have to agree with Blaine91555. Using your logic, it would be okay to yell, "Fire!" in a crowed theatre.

This is basically the same thing, but it's yelling, "Comet!" on a crowded planet.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wow, he was VERY wrong, was he not?
The object landed somewhere else.

Although, he can now say I was close on the date, but wrong about the location.

Read this little ditty from the Vegans, the Las Vegans that is:
www.reviewjournal.com...

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That was posted already, maybe in this thread... The three that are active have all sort of run together for me.

Anyway, it in no way resembles the composition of a comet. In fact, like the article even says, it's more like a chunk of asphault.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I'd have to agree with Blaine91555. Using your logic, it would be okay to yell, "Fire!" in a crowed theatre.

This is basically the same thing, but it's yelling, "Comet!" on a crowded planet.

Cmon Cmndr you can't compare a real life event where you can actually see if there is a fire to an internet event can you? Lets then take this as an example..he posts a message that we are gonna have a comet strike, but you have posted that he was totally wrong...Suppose we did get hit with a Comet and your data was wrong and people had listened to you instead? Should you be held responsible legally for people listening to you? No one would ever offer their opinion ever again on the net if we all feared to be legally held liable for stating an opinion or solution.

The one thing I will agree on with that guy is that he deleted messages that debunked him. That was totally wrong and misleading to some people if all they saw were other people that agreed with him.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Anyway, it in no way resembles the composition of a comet. In fact, like the article even says, it's more like a chunk of asphault.

Yeah? so?
Maybe those that control the comet are "paving" the way for an invasion.
I mean so what if its asphalt! hehe.

anyway, I was a little disappointed that this poor discombobulated comet didn't brighten up a little for us.

Maybe the next one..

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The spoken or written word is the most powerful weapon on the planet. Entire civilizations can be wiped out by a few misplaced words from a charismatic person. Those who are adept at misusing them are weapons. Yelling fire in a crowded theatre is a great example. Riots are another example. In both cases people can die or have their possessions destroyed or stolen all because of a few words spoken by the right individual. If we ever do have the final war, it will be caused by words.

Yes we have the right to free speech provided that the speech does not cause any harm to person or property. When that happens it is a criminal offense and you can be prosecuted. If you were to make a threat of violence against someone on this board, unless you are in some backward third world country, you can be prosecuted and jailed even if you do not follow through. Assault is just the threat. Battery is the actual act. Either can be a felony in the US. This sort of thing clearly raises the bar to that level. If you packed your bags and ran because of this event you were harmed by it. I think it is that simple.

Considering whom some of the people are on this board I would not test it to see what would happen. I read that the FBI was called on someone due to a post on this board recently.

If you think its funny I understand there is no cure for a sociopath and the rest of us just have to grin and bear it.

[edit on 25-5-2006 by Blaine91555]

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
he posts a message that we are gonna have a comet strike, but you have posted that he was totally wrong...Suppose we did get hit with a Comet and your data was wrong and people had listened to you instead? Should you be held responsible legally for people listening to you?

The point is that it's crying wolf. If it happens enough people will eventually stop listening and caring, then when it does come to the point where a comet will impact the Earth everyone would be so jaded that no one would believe the person saying to flee.

That being said, people are held accountable for actions made on false pretenses all the time. A cop shoots a kid because the kid pulls out a gun, which ends up being a water gun. A leader goes to war looking for WMDs because people told him they would be there, only to find out they arn't. Catch my drift? If I were wrong and people listening to me died because of it I would totally hold myself accountable.

The likewise should happen for these false panics/scares that go on.

The one thing I will agree on with that guy is that he deleted messages that debunked him. That was totally wrong and misleading to some people if all they saw were other people that agreed with him.

Yeah, that is terrible wrong. It just goes to show that he was only pushing his agenda. If he wern't he would have left it open to criticism. Of course, in reality, he knows he's theories don't hold water, so he had to bar those pointing that out from posting on his site.

Aside from deleting posts/threads and banning people, he also does what he can to discredit them by his own posts and comments in his "articles."

Like I've been saying, expect a book from this asshat about these events by the end of the year.

EDIT: Bad quotes! Bad!

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:18 PM
link   

UPDATE MAY 25, 2006:
According to informed sources, contacts in the American intelligence services confirm the existence of a time window of 48 hours, centered on May 25th at midnight GMT, for the impact a comet fragment south of the Azores.

Save lives in May

Eric Julien is still crying wolf, all for financial gain.
I did some research and found his corporate information as well as his address.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
AAAAA I saw it!!!!!

It is 10:15 P.M. I was outside watching the stars, seriously doubting I would see anything, but I DID!!! It absoultly was not a plane or a satalite! It looked like a falling star but never burned out. It streaked across the sky from the south heading due north, until it was out of sight. I called my husband out to see it and he agreed that it had to be a comet, it was too high fast, and bright to be anything else. It was awesome. I am heading out to see if I can see anything else. It was gone and out of sight in maybe 2 min. tops. WOW that was really neat.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Sounds like a satellite flying over. What you described was too slow to be a meteor.

Comets don't just streak accross the sky like they're portrayed to in tv, movies, and commercials. They usually take weeks to move across the sky. Also, the comet is pretty close to the Sun right now, so I can say on account of that you didn't see it as well.

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The point is that it's crying wolf. If it happens enough people will eventually
stop listening and caring, then when it does come to the point where a comet
will impact the Earth everyone would be so jaded that no one would believe
the person saying to flee.

THATs the truth!! The hoaxers did a major disservice to the planet.
I'm looking forward to seeing when those sites come back up or when
they decide that it's time for another hoax. I wonder how many people
will foolishly believe them; or if they will start getting emails telling
the hoaxers to knock it off.

Patience wears thin on those who cry wolf and they do more harm than good.

Anyways, nice to see that the planet survived the night.
Off to another day .. happy Memorial Day weekend ya'll.

[edit on 5/26/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Don't look now, but Eric Julien posted a new "update" saying that the window of possible impact is 48 hours after may 25th... Don't know if that includes all of tomorrow or not... God, I guess he is milking this as much as he can.

I love the French

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
cmdrkeenkid, I have no idea what it was I am not an astronomer like you. I do know it was not like any satellite I had ever seen before. I am trying not to exagerate how fast it was moving. I have seen the satellites fly over before, and this was a lot faster than any satellite I have seen, but maybe there are different kinds (if it was, it was still cool). It was like watching a falling star (saw a couple of those afterwards too) except instead of watching it "fall" and burn out, it streaked from the south to the north until it was out of sight. What ever it was, it was very cool.

[edit on 26-5-2006 by mrsdudara]

crt

posted on May, 26 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Can't Eric Julien be held resposible for creating a panic in Morrocco? What about all of the people that left the eastern seaboard, spent hundreds of dollars on hotels and gas. Is Eric responsible for that? He gave himself another 48 hours past May 25th. He will disappear after the 28th for sure.
Lets hope the wolf doesn't show up for real.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join