It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Am I Hearing, Taos Hum?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I live in New Mexico south of Taos and this is one of those things we locals know about quite well...

One of the little reported facts is the Hum can... I said can but not always... be a precursor to an earthquake/Tremors...

Yes we get earthquakes here just not big ones... like a 3.0 the biggest one I remember us getting, here that's newsworthy...

Now the hum can start months/years before an earthquake and the hum doesn't mean the quake will occur under your feet...

we had a hum here in Albuquerque that was driving people crazy then some hundred miles south in Socorro they had a small earthquake and the hum stopped...

I'm not saying this is what's happening where you are but that's what happens here, sometimes...

[edit on 24-4-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I hear it often, and it's really disturbing. There's something about
the way the pitch, duration and volume randomly changes that
makes me feel quite unsettled.

It's usually not so much a noise as a vibration that the whole body
resonates to - can't even call it a sound because the ear can't pin
down a direction for it.

Doesn't help to wrap your head in a pillow or to stuff earplugs in.

At first I thought it was my imagination or perhaps blood pulsing
through arteries, but now I think that it may be a pump at a local
reservoir; running off and on all of the time and more noticeable
at night when there is less road noise to cover it.

Whatever it is, it's enough to drive ya crazy!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Sorry for the waaaayyyy late reply. No, I or was living near Rome N.Y.

reply to post by Anonymous ATS

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I rarely hear low toned things, so I don't hear that sort of noise. I ruled out Taos for myself based on the tone for it being low.

You can teach yourself to ignore things. If you ever go to an area with sulfur smell, you'll be overwhelmed for quite a while. Then your brain will stop "noticing" it after a bit.

The trick seems to be in first acknowledging the thing that is disturbing your senses, then "putting it away" so that your brain can stop bringing attention to it.

You can drive yourself crazy with paying attention to your breathing to much too, until your body won't breathe on its own properly and your brain does something drastic like makes you faint so that the correct part of your brain can reassert control over your breathing.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Besides the earthquake The Ultra Low Frequency (ULF) the frequency range between 300 hertz and 3 kilohertz. (Felt not heard)
there is something called "Earth Mode Communications" ULF has been used by the military for secure communications through the ground. NATO AGARD publications from the 1960s detailed many such systems, although one suspects the contents of the published papers left a lot unsaid about what actually was developed secretly for defense purposes. Communications through the ground using conduction fields is known as "Earth Mode" communications

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sometimes my computer speakers pick up radio or some other noises without anything plugged in, are there speakers in your room? could be the same thing

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
tracer, have you investigated the possibility that you suffer from tinnitus?

I got this. Sounds like a generator, low_ish humming noise. I usually hear it at night when everything is quiet. As soon as another dominant source of sound presents itself it goes away and returns as soon as it gets quiet again. Usually i get this pretty bad when i´m under a lot of stress. Sometimes when there´s too much going on at work i can feel it like a pressure inside my head and i know that if it were quiet it would hum really loud.

Reading through the various replies, most likely there are different things going on here.

Any specific reason why you think this is military/government project related?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I'm just thankful that I don't hear it around here any more, it really set my nerves on edge.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hearing_the_hum
By the way, we are in Norcross, Georgia. I was also going to tell you guys that not only do I hear it, but I feel the vibration - and it feels like it's in my bones. Sometimes it feels like it's in my head, and my son said the same thing. The only reason I can figure out that I haven't heard it as loud for the past five days and all the sudden he started hearing it is because it must be humming at a different frequency causing him to pick up on the sound all the sudden.

How far away are you from the nearest road with traffic?
Also as stated above, tinnitus is a valid hearing disorder. Check it out.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by GriffinRD]

posted on Oct, 15 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I hear the hum. It even vibrates my eardrums. I cannot stand it. I cannot even sleep anymore. No one else hears the hum. Its gotton so bad I now percieve the hum as a vibration. I hear it in every room in my house but louder in my bedroom and my little girls where I can say its almost even louder. I am scared we are being radiated or something. When I try to find where its coming from, I end up outside and I cannot hear it there. Once I even cut all the power in our home to see if it was a fridge vibrating or something. Even with all the power cut I could still hear it and then I could faintly hear it in the inner garden. So its not the electricity in my home thats causing it. My husband cannot hear it. Every night gets worse. I try to block out the humming, but I just can't.

I couple of weeks ago I went to the lake and was so happy to think It would be silent and I would be able to sleep. To my surprise I could hear the humming there too...only fainter. Now that made me believe it must be in my head, but its so loud! Why can't anyone else hear it! Please tell me what this is.

This post is most similar to my own experiences. I can only hear it in a localized closed environment such as a house or my car (if parked near the house). Mostly I hear it at night, but not every night. I think it is caused by the walls or shielding of the glass in my car reflections vibrations from either above or below. I'm not sure which method would be more efficient, but this seems to be a result of man-made devices because let's face it: man is responsible for all the problems we see in the world, wrecking havoc everywhere on everything he touches.

Aside from the hum noise in my left ear mainly (it is more sensitive), I also have experiences physical vibrations in my head and extremities. Physical shaking nearly. I drink excessive amounts of alcohol so I can sleep at night, and sometimes I wake up wondering how bruises got on my legs. There is no pain associated with the bruises. I cannot explain this at all. I wonder if I have been abducted somehow. It's hard to remember with the alcohol getting in the way of my memory.

I can only hope it goes away or gets better or else I'll have to move away or just drink myself to death, assuming alcohol causes liver failure. Ah well, if I'm meant to do well, then things will change for me if I intervene to help myself somehow. That's how I see it. One more thing though, I got to say this seems to be a sign of some of the crazy things going on in the world, and I think most people are getting fed up with the lies...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Has any one who can hear this mysterious hum noticed that it goes away on Sundays and holidays? My mother who can hear this low hum was told that it could possibly be caused by oil drilling. So that is what she thinks it is, and she says she doesnt usually hear it on Sundays or Holidays. She'll say, "sounds like they arent drilling today". She says the sound is much louder indoors and no matter where she is, she can hear it. She lives in the north central part of Pa.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I live in northern UK and started hearing something a couple of years back. Around midnight or in the early hours upstairs before going to bed. To me, it's a low level buzzing like a swarm of bees. I thought I must have some sort of infestation in the roof space! It's louder in some rooms than in others so I don't believe the theory that it's an individual, internal hearing problem.
Just to add I live in a rural area, in a house with thick stone walls, no traffic or industry. And I switch everything off at night.
It's louder some nights than others though not enough to bother me.
I'll have to start keeping a log.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I started hearing AM radio static about a year ago. Once I realized that my husband didn't hear it also it scared me. I never again mentioned it to any one else. I was terrified and knew some thing wasn't right. I also started taking AMBIEN around the same time. Along with hearing a AM radio I also had Heart Palputations, Anxiety, I lost weight (total of 30lbs),I felt like I was developing Pschizophrenia, I also became suicidal. I stopped taking Ambien in Jan 2010. I no longer hear an AM Radio. I finally feel like I can talk about it. Does any one who hears this AM Radio take Ambien?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roxie1126
I started hearing AM radio static about a year ago. Once I realized that my husband didn't hear it also it scared me. I never again mentioned it to any one else. I was terrified and knew some thing wasn't right. I also started taking AMBIEN around the same time. Along with hearing a AM radio I also had Heart Palputations, Anxiety, I lost weight (total of 30lbs),I felt like I was developing Pschizophrenia, I also became suicidal. I stopped taking Ambien in Jan 2010. I no longer hear an AM Radio. I finally feel like I can talk about it. Does any one who hears this AM Radio take Ambien?

At the time I was hearing the "hum" I wasn't on anything and none of my neighbors could hear it. When I did hear it, it was at one steady tone wether I was inside or out, though only at night at around 11/ midnight new york time and the sound would put my nerves right on edge. as I said above, thankfully I'm not hearing it anymore, not sure if it's because I moved or the Air Base closed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join