It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic or Stereotyping???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm sure most people when seeing a a new face for the first time (without talking) can asses a persons nature yet have no idea of what they are like. Me personally, on meting a new person can generally judge the persons attitude etc by the face. Is the face somehow linked to personality? Or are the stereotypes involved with personalitys just reflected in the face? Or is it possible to actually read another person somewhat telepathically??

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I can agree completely with this. For me some people have a special "thing" about them which I can see usually just by looking at their face. This "thing" makes me like them.....weird I know but I understand what you're saying.

No idea whether it's stereotyping or not, possibly - I can also usually tell if me and another person are on the same wavelength by the way they dress, however that is stereotyping.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nova]

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Nova]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Both, you judge and you "just"know
that whole gut feeling has been around for some time.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This ties into several different kinds of phenmena and studies.

When it comes to destiny there is said to be a couple ways to look at it.
some think that we are going through a certain string of events in our lives
which while it seems we are living them now,we are just mere witnesses to thye events that transpire,You ever see the clash of the titans where the gods place little figures on a board,many looked at this as being a sort of connection between creation and what happens to us,fate in other words.

Others take a step back and say that gods and such are not really physical beings but an etheral connection between everything where fate is an interconnecting web of action reaction energy and information.Supposedly even down to our very cells they contain information which determines what is what and how they interact,some look at us as cells within the flesh of fate and destiny.Where as within the subconcious information storage called the brain we recieve and transmit energies and information to interact with other cell parts of fate,the most common being other people.

There is much more on this so expect something soon,as I am creeping back onto the board.

Scarecrow.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I am constantly amazed at how the broad generalizations I make about those I meet are WRONG.

I guess I have no psi ability. However I sure have the ability to stereotype others. Not Good!

Years ago I read a book called "Body Language" and I have an uncanny ability to read how others feel about ME.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am the opposite of you, Whaaa. I am pretty good at reading people, their intentions, where their problems stem from (marital, financial, etc.), but when it comes to my interaction with them or how they feel about me, I am terrible at it. I may feel the other person isn't listening to me, but I find out later that they were paying quite a bit of attention, or I may feel that I said something to offend the other person, but there was no offense at all.

I guess I am better at looking at situations like that from the outside or if I am involved, maybe my own emotions blur the "signal" for me.

Someone mentioned in another thread (I think) about meeting or seeing people that you take an instant dislike to. I have met approximately 5 people in my life like this. They didn't do anything to me, they didn't do anything to anyone around me, but there is a gut-wrenching feeling of wanting to out-and-out smack them. And my inner thought is always, "Why? I don't even know them and I have never seen them before!"

JDub

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Years ago I read a book called "Body Language" and I have an uncanny ability to read how others feel about ME.

In most interctions with others I tend to feel that it is not important to them and no one likes me,while this might be true I know this is mostly my own feelings,I sometimes find myself playing out a situation horribly just because I think the person doesnt like me,we all read others and their interactions with us everyday,while stereotyping seems wrong,in many cases it is just the way humans work,most of the time using categories to simplify the interaction proccess,of course we could really delve into others and figure out how they work,but in my experience you will get a lot of resistance many people like their souls and minds untouched by others.
Now I mean in everyday life,aswell the more you try to figure out others the less we focus on ourselves.

Scarecrow.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't think it is being psychic. It is more like intuition. My first impression is always right about someone. It is when I go against my intuition and first impression that I get burned.

But, I am certainly not psychic

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I'm not trying to make out that if i get a bad vibe from people i won't talk to them.. I just wonder where this extra human perception is and how it works. I'm sure even before the media has increased and overblown stereotypes these feelings were still apparent in early man.

I personally feel it is more of a hierarchical device where you can sum up the 'enemy' (rival men) posssibly and almost feel the nature of them whether that be aggressive or defensive and form this we make our own perceptions? A possible human defence?

top topics

join