It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timber Smuggling With Rockets in Chitral, Pakistan

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Armed American "Bin Laden hunter" arrested in Chitral.

BBC: Armed US 'Bin Laden hunter' is held in Pakistan

15 June 2010

An American man who claimed to have been on a mission to hunt down Osama Bin Laden has been arrested in northern Pakistan, police say.

They said that 52-year-old Gary Brooks Faulkner, from California, was detained in the mountains of Chitral district

[---]

Chitral - because of its close proximity to Nuristan - is considered to be one of his possible hiding places.

Thread: Armed US Bin Laden hunter arrested in Pakistan

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The American Bin Laden hunter was looking in the right place...

Call Him Crazy, but bin Laden Bounty Hunter Wasn’t Far Off

June 15, 2010

By now, you’ve probably heard the news: a middle-aged construction worker from California was arrested in a forest in northwest Pakistan, carrying a samurai sword and a pistol, looking for Osama bin Laden.

He didn’t find him.

Before you chuckle, let me just say: Whatever else we might conclude about Gary Faulkner, our arrested American bounty hunter, we should give him this: He was looking in the right place.

[---]

Last December, early on a Sunday morning, I sat at a long table in the basement of the Pentagon talking with an American military officer about the situation in Afghanistan. As the meeting ended, another man approached, wearing plain clothes and a plainer face.

“Chitral,” he said, half-smiling. “If you’re looking for Osama, you might try Chitral.”

He muttered something else, then walked away. The man didn’t identify himself, but he didn’t have to. He was almost certainly an intelligence analyst. If I had to guess, I’d say, given our location, that he worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Mr. Faulkner

AssociatedPress: "Colo. Man Arrested for 'hunting' Bin Laden"

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
More Mr. Faulkner

NYDailyNews.com: Gary Brooks Faulkner examined by doctor in Pakistan, say Bin Laden hunter has psychological problems

The Pakistanis laughed when Faulkner told them he was on a quest to kill Bin Laden. But when asked if he thought he had a chance, Faulkner replied, "God is with me, and I am confident I will be successful in killing him."

The Christian Science Monitor: Gary Brooks Faulkner: Was 'American ninja' working for CIA?

Gary Brooks Faulkner was arrested in an area widely rumored to hide Al Qaeda’s top leaders. Chitral is a mountainous region on Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan that is so remote it has until recently been cut off from the outside world by winter snows for months at a time. It’s a place where it is even difficult for the US to fly Predator drones.

The Wall Street Journal: U.S. Man Arrested for 'Hunting' Bin Laden

Mr. Faulkner arrived in Chitral on June 3 and stayed in a hotel in Bumburat Valley, an area famous for its spring dancing festival

[---]

In Greeley on Tuesday, Daren Paredes, a former employee of Mr. Faulkner, said he was "shocked" by the arrest in Pakistan. "He's not crazy," Mr. Paredes said. "He's a very intelligent man."

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Even more Mr. Faulkner

Failing kidneys...

Religious crusader who devoted his life to tracking down Bin Laden

17 June 2010

With no small irony, Mr Faulkner apparently suffers from failing kidneys and requires regular dialysis, as is said to be the case with the man he was hunting. According to his family, his kidneys only function at nine per cent of normal capacity and aware of his declining condition he had been determined to make this trip to Pakistan, aware that this could be his "last hurrah".

[---]

The whereabouts of his quarry, Osama bin Laden, have not been known with any precision since December 2001 when the al-Qa'ida leader was able to slip away from a determined assault by US special forces at the Tora Bora mountains in Afghanistan and cross into Pakistan. In the subsequent years, various suggestions as to his location have placed him in different parts of Pakistan's tribal areas. Several years ago, some suggested he may have been hiding in the Chitral area, where Mr Faulkner was detained.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yet even more Mr. Faulkner

Mr. Faulkner is still being questioned. They say that he is "not likely to be released very soon", but he has not been charged with any crime yet. He has been to Chitral several times over the past three years. He could be charged under the terrorism act...

Osama hunter still being questioned

June 18, 2010

Security officials in Pakistan are still questioning the bounty hunter who was on the trail of the world’s most wanted man — Osama bin Laden.

Different teams of civilian and military intelligence officials have been questioning Gary Faulkner for past three days, in the capital city of Islamabad.

An analyst on terrorism in Islamabad, who asked not to be identified, said Faulkner could be charged under the terrorism act if it's found he was involved in any act of terrorism or doubtful activities.

[---]

Another indication that authorities are digging on is that Faulkner, who is also familiar with local language, and had made many trips to Pakistan over the past seven years and had been to Chitral several times over the past three years.

[---]

“Pakistan is at war against terrorism and moving freely in the remote mountains of Chitral region for an American is not as easy as you can imagine, unless he or she have any “friends” in the area," said Khan, a senior police investigator in Peshawar, who asked to be identified with his last name only. "This made authorities very concerned.”

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Mr Faulkner released

Gary Faulkner has been released.

American 'Bin Laden hunter' released by Pakistan

An American man detained in Pakistan for trying to track down and kill Osama Bin Laden has been freed and will return to the United States later Wednesday, his family told local media.

[---]

Faulkner was detained on June 13 in the remote mountains of Chitral, once a rumored hiding place of bin Laden, near Afghanistan's Nuristan province, armed with a pistol, dagger, sword and night-vision equipment.

[---]

Brother Scott Faulkner told CNN that Gary Faulkner had been motivated to hunt bin Laden out of a desire to avenge the September 11, 2001 attacks and a belief in God, saying he was not crazy, psychotic or schizophrenic.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Mr Faulkner is back home. He says he'll try again.

The State: Bin Laden hunter says he'll 'absolutely' try again

Jun. 23, 2010

A Colorado man who traveled to Pakistan to hunt down Osama bin Laden said he'll "absolutely" try again, despite his arrest in the woods of northern Pakistan.

[---]

But during a stopover in Los Angeles, Faulkner was asked by reporters if he planned to return. "Absolutely," he said. He added cryptically, "You'll find out at the end of August."

BBC: Armed US 'Bin Laden hunter' is back home

24 June 2010

Gary Brooks Faulkner arrived at Los Angeles airport on Wednesday. He said he would not give up on his mission.

Pakistan knew

Pakistan and Bin Laden...

Frontier India: Cancerous Pakistan’s Ambidextrous Taliban & Jihadist Policies: Threat to the subcontinent

June 24th, 2010

Hilary Clinton had recently lamented that if not higher politicians certain Pakistani officials were aware of the abodes of Osama and Al Qaeda in Pakistan-presumably in the bordering areas of Chitral and Afghan territory.

[---]

Most studies support existence of relationship of co-existence between the ISI and the Afghan Taliban, and suggest that individuals or elements within, or connected to, the ISI and Pakistani military support or advise the insurgents. As per a US Congressional Research Service (CRS) report, many analysts believe that Pakistan’s intelligence services know the whereabouts of Al Qaeda and Afghan Taliban leadership elements and likely even maintain active contacts with them at some level as part of a hedge strategy in the region. Some reports indicate that elements of Pakistan’s major intelligence agency and military forces aid the Taliban.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

New thread (by Pockets) :

India: ISI behind Mumbai attacks

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Chitral - Timber

The Barg-e-Matal district is a known Taliban transit area to and from the northern Pakistani district of Chitral. Large numbers of former Hezb-i-Islami fighters aligned with renegade warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar and his top battlefield commander Kashmir Khan are also active in Barg-e-Matal. Criminal elements who dominate the illegal lumber trade and gem mines in Barg-e-Matal are also affiliated with Hezb-i-Islami commanders.

Taliban seize district in northeastern Afghanistan

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
With news coming out of wikileaks that OBL is alive and in or near Quetta, I am going to finaly throw my hat in the ring with Hellmutt and makeitso and say he is not there, but in Chitral. The OP has been focusing in on this area since early 2006 and I feel with the recent drone strikes in South Wazziratan and Pak operations in Dir and Swat valleys that OBL is most likely in Chitral. Even during the time OBL was in Pakistan during the Russian invasion, he never operated as far south as Quetta.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Birddog26]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
OH, MY GOD, this came out just now. I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR HOW LONG NOW?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Balloon

Mr. Faulkner wants to use a balloon or a glider next time...

Faulkner still has bin Laden in his sights

08/18/2010

Instead of using a visa to enter Pakistan the conventional way, he wants to use a balloon or glider to fly into the mountainous wilderness where bin Laden is reportedly hiding.

"They are looking for me to come in low, but I'm coming in from above," he said. "I'll talk to anyone that has some sort of experimental craft. The job is not done. And I'm not going in as an American. I'm going in as a thief."

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
A senior NATO official has told CNN that Osama Bin Laden is not living in a cave, but is living in "relative comfort".

NATO official: Bin Laden, deputy hiding in northwest Pakistan

October 18, 2010

Osama bin Laden and his deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri are believed to be hiding close to each other in houses in northwest Pakistan, but are not together, a senior NATO official said.

"Nobody in al Qaeda is living in a cave," said the official, who declined to be named because of the sensitivity of the intelligence matters involved.

Rather, al Qaeda's top leadership is believed to be living in relative comfort, protected by locals and some members of the Pakistani intelligence services, the official said.

The official said the general region where bin Laden is likely to have moved around in recent years ranges from the mountainous Chitral area in the far northwest near the Chinese border, to the Kurram Valley which neighbors Afghanistan's Tora Bora, one of the Taliban strongholds during the U.S. invasion in 2001.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Bin Laden sets alarm bells ringing

March 25, 2011

After a prolonged lull, the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has launched a series of covert operations in the rugged Hindu Kush mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan following strong tip-offs that al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has been criss-crossing the area in the past few weeks for high-profile meetings in militant redoubts.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by makeitso
Bin Laden sets alarm bells ringing

March 25, 2011

After a prolonged lull, the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has launched a series of covert operations in the rugged Hindu Kush mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan following strong tip-offs that al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden has been criss-crossing the area in the past few weeks for high-profile meetings in militant redoubts.

Looks like there was something to this report after all...

OBL Dead

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
And now, Osama Bin Laden is apparently dead.

BBC: Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden dead - Obama

Mr Obama said he had been briefed last August on a possible lead to Osama Bin Laden's whereabouts.

It led to intelligence that the al-Qaeda leader was hiding in a compound deep within Pakistan.

The president authorised an operation to "get Bin Laden" last week, he said, and on Sunday a small team of US forces undertook the operation.

After a "firefight" Bin Laden was killed and his body taken by US forces, the president said.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

You have been waiting to post that in this thread for over 5 years. Very good job. I always looked forward to your posts in this thread.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Bin Laden near Chitral two months ago?

BBC: Bin Laden killing: What did Pakistan know?

Then there is the break in pattern. All intelligence officials say Osama Bin Laden would never wander so far from the Afghan border.

This is corroborated by senior members of a leading Taliban faction, the Haqqani network - one of whom says he met Bin Laden near the town of Chitral two months ago.

Confirming the al-Qaeda leader was dead, he said he was puzzled that he had gone as far as Abbottabad.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Mr. Faulkner wants some of the Bin laden reward.

How close did bin Laden hunter get?

"I scared the squirrel out of his hole, he popped his head up and he got capped," Faulkner told ABC News this week, referring to bin Laden's death. "[U.S. officials] were handed this opportunity on a platter from myself," he was quoted as saying.

Faulkner also told ABC that assertions that bin Laden had been holed up in his compound in Abbottabad for more than half a decade were not true.

"He hadn't been living there for no damn six years," he told ABC. "I absolutely flushed him out."

Should Faulkner get a portion of the reward?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join