It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Sonic Boom Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
New guy reporting aboard, sir!

I am somewhat skeptical about UFOs, but I try to keep an open mind. I have visited this forum quite often for a long time and picked up a lot of great information and insight into the UFO phenomenon, but this is my first post. Here's a question that I have always had about many UFO reports......

Over the years I have read about and seen programs on numerous accounts of UFO sightings where the craft pulled high-G maneuvers and then accelerated out of sight at speeds well beyond the capabilities of modern high performance jet aircraft. However, I do not ever recall a report of a sonic boom created by a UFO traveling beyond the speed of sound within the earth's atmosphere. Maybe they are all sub-sonic, but that is not my impression from the reports.

I cant' remember the name of the book, but it was about the Lockheed Skunk Works and the development and operations of the SR-71. On one occasion an SR-71 was over-flying Cuba at over 100 thousand feet at a sub-sonic speed. Not by accident, this happened to be a day that Soviet Premier Khrushchev was meeting with Fidel Castro in Havana in open environment attended by thousands of adoring(??) Cubans. Just as the bird passed over Havana they accelerated to Mach 3+ and created such a huge sonic boom that they scared the crap out of everyone on the ground, including Castro and Khrushchev.

Wouldn't a UFO accelerating from a sub-conic speed to some fantastic Mach number also create a huge boom? Does anyone have an explanation for the apparent lack of sonic booms?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If it never went below subsonic speeds then no boom would be created. You have to understand that a sonic boom is just a massive high preassure wave created by the Dopler effect. You also have to understand that sound is a wave and travels at different speeds in differient mediums and altitudes. Another important fact is that sound waves loose energy the father out they have to go form the orgin and are fainter.

A sonic boom occurs when you hit Mach 1 after that there is not sonic boom. So it is possible they never travel at super sonic speeds while in the lower atmosphere or they always travel at a speed that is greater than Mach 1.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Also, taking into consideration that we don't know what 'they' are using to propel itself we can also assume that we don't know if 'they' can overcome the sonic boom phenomena.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
An aircraft exceeding the speed of sound continously produces shock waves along its path. You may hear a shock wave as it passes over your head, but the aircraft continues to produce shock waves as it goes over the next town and so on. Back in the 50s when sonic booms were relatively new, Air force fights broke the sound barrier all the time wreaking havoc along their entire flight path with the shock waves. Broken windows and smashed dishes falling out of china cabinets were common.

There most certainly are shock waves produced in the atmosphere at speeds higher than the Mach 1. The Concorde, B-70 Valkyrie, and the SR-71 are all examples of aircraft that flew at very high speeds (and altitudes) that all produced sonic booms. Size and shape of the aircraft effect the shock waves created; method of propulsion is not a factor, at least for aircraft created here on earth.

In particular, the reports that I am pinging on are those where the UFO goes from a hover over the trees (for example) and then accelerates at fantastic speeds and disappears from sight in a moment. I would expect that such an event would be accompanied by a large sonic boom. Yet, as mentioned, never have I heard anyone report a boom.

Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone hear ever heard a sonic boom generated by a UFO?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CGRLCDR Has anyone hear ever heard a sonic boom generated by a UFO?

Try looking for anomalous booms, booms heard with no sighting. There have been scores of those, even before the jet age.

Usually the source of a sonic boom is unseen; it can easily out of sight or in a different direction altogether by the time the shock wave makes it to the observer's position (the object is moving faster than the shock wave, after all), and so may not be connected to the boom.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Wow, this guy brought up a really good point.

Why don't UFOs make sonic booms. Huh...

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think it's safe to say that their crafts don't experience inertia like ours do.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Since the prevailing theory is that such craft move by manipulating space/time using gravity manipulation, its extremely possible that there simply is no doppler wave effect because the crafts are "slipping through" a created gravitic trough, rather than forcefully pushing through the air to create the wave....hence, no "boom".....

I can tell you, in FL, we've had a recent history of anomalous "booms"....and this is coming from a military brat living near McDill and on other bases all my life. Two such booms even made local (and international news) last year...(I only heard one of these, and then posted soon after it). So who knows? My guess is that these booms were made by the Blackbird's current replacement though.....

top topics

join