It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shame on Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
95% of seals killed are baby harps. The meat is left to rot, they die a very slow death, and they are only used for their fur.

The people that participate in this kill are commercial fisherman that only make 5% of their income off seal fur that is sold to the european fashion industry.

These seals are skinned alive and in front of their mothers and dragged away by fish hooks.

Everybody including non canadians, please visit the site, sign the petition, and boycott canadian seafood until this stops.

This is absolutely horrific, make the government listen.

Demonstrater's were out today in australia, nyc, los angela's, london, brussels, ect. Please help keep the pressure up.
www.hsus.org...
if you'd like to watch video footage to get a grasp on what we're talking about here, there is a video on the page, however it is graphic.

[edit on 25-3-2006 by TrueLies]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Ahem...

I invite you to read this link and post your comments.

www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   
You are worried that the mothers of these seals would be scarred at watching their kids get conked?

How much time this year have you spent at a battered womans shelter?

How much money do you donate to AIDS relief?

Have you gone to your local homeless shelter?

Help people. When all the people are safe, warm, fed and have medicine move to the animals.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
crmanager good point.
i'm worried I'M gonna get clubbed and skinned when i leave da bar, i'm not too concerned about animals.
people didn't get to the top of the food chain by eating lettuce.
when da people are taken care of, then it is time to worry about animals, 'till then I hope my seal-fur jacket keeps me as warm as it did the seal.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
You guys are sick.

Who knew people had a preference when it comes to helping the innocent whether it be animals/mammals/humans.

The point isn't that the mother's are watching their young die a slow and painful death, it's the way they are killing these innocent pups.

That's like clubbing a human baby over the head and leaving him/her to die slowly, then once dead, take the baby's cord and toss the rest aside.

You obviously have no respect for god's creatures, wearing baby seal fur is the last thing on my list, if you haven't noticed there are jackets that are faux. I think your being ignorant on purpose, and if not, i'm appalled that people like you even exist.

And yes i've donanted to aids, yes i've seen battered women, my step mother was a victim prior to her meeting my father.

I have absolutely no preference over which living creature needs help, if they are suffering inhumanely at the hands of sick human beings i will help.

This is no different the domestic animal abuse, and i assume that you don't give a rats ass about that either.

Anyway, the two above posts were the most ignorant and discusting statements i've heard in a very long time. I hope you don't have children.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   
A show of disrespect for inferior species is a harbinger of evil deeds by same. I will certainly sign the petition and bid others to join in.

Members should engage their higher cerebral functionality prior to allowing the enlistment of their typing fingers by their lizard brains.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This has got to be one of my favorite time of the year.

NCAA March Madness, Go LSU!
1 week from the start of Baseball season.
The start of Seal Hunting season!

The 1st two is because I am a huge sports fan. The third is because I love seeing liberals cry and whine. Needless to say election day is also a great time of year!

Liberals are masters of percieved obviousness. Therefore liberalism is the most gutless choice a person can make.

War is bad, wealth is bad, poverty is bad, clubbing baby seals is bad, but they never look past the obvious.

War is necessary for security. Wealth = hard work and achievment. You cannot take from the wealthy and give to the poor and expect them to achieve wealth. Go ahead and slaughter chickens and cows and eat them, but don't you dare do that to baby seals because they look "cute".

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
This has got to be one of my favorite time of the year.

NCAA March Madness, Go LSU!
1 week from the start of Baseball season.
The start of Seal Hunting season!

The 1st two is because I am a huge sports fan. The third is because I love seeing liberals cry and whine. Needless to say election day is also a great time of year!

Liberals are masters of percieved obviousness. Therefore liberalism is the most gutless choice a person can make.

War is bad, wealth is bad, poverty is bad, clubbing baby seals is bad, but they never look past the obvious.

War is necessary for security. Wealth = hard work and achievment. You cannot take from the wealthy and give to the poor and expect them to achieve wealth. Go ahead and slaughter chickens and cows and eat them, but don't you dare do that to baby seals because they look "cute".

Your mean-spirited ignorant vitriol is so..refreshing on a Sunday.

"War is necessary for security." ??? Tell that to the Swiss, as one of many examples. Who said "Wealth is bad."??? It is Greed that is bad. Killing seals for "Fashion," is a far cry from clothing oneself out of necessity, or eating to survive. The raising of "cattle," is no more moral than killing for sport, an activity I am sure you fully enjoy.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
So I take it you're a vegetarian Scott? Ever see animals in the wild? They have no problem eating the flesh of their neighbours. While I feel killing for sport is a repugnant act, killing "inferior" creatures is a natural thing. Life feeds on life, deal with it. Were it not for the "terrible" act of raising cattle, civilization may never have arisen and you wouldn't be here trying to push your views on others.

The seal slaugter as it is is a terrible waste. If the meat were to be eaten (and I am sure it is delicious!) there would be no problem at all; another day, another meal. You make a case when you speak of the sensless waste of killing seals for their fur, but don't go spewing your superior moral values on others who feast on animals. You wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the slaughter of livestock.

I leave you with this to ponder:

What if plant life could scream in terror and pain?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WithinyouWithoutyou
So I take it you're a vegetarian Scott? Ever see animals in the wild? They have no problem eating the flesh of their neighbours. While I feel killing for sport is a repugnant act, killing "inferior" creatures is a natural thing. Life feeds on life, deal with it. Were it not for the "terrible" act of raising cattle, civilization may never have arisen and you wouldn't be here trying to push your views on others.

The seal slaugter as it is is a terrible waste. If the meat were to be eaten (and I am sure it is delicious!) there would be no problem at all; another day, another meal. You make a case when you speak of the sensless waste of killing seals for their fur, but don't go spewing your superior moral values on others who feast on animals. You wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the slaughter of livestock.

He never implied he was a vegetarian.

"War is necessary for security." ??? Tell that to the Swiss, as one of many examples. Who said "Wealth is bad."??? It is Greed that is bad. Killing seals for "Fashion," is a far cry from clothing oneself out of necessity, or eating to survive. The raising of "cattle," is no more moral than killing for sport, an activity I am sure you fully enjoy.

He clearly stated that theres a difference between killing for food and killing for fashion.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
to truelies,

easy there. ok, i'll admit it seals are cute n cuddly and that should make them exempt from killing.

good thing cows aren't cute cause, damn, Mcdonalds is good and my truck has leather seats in it.

good thing pigs aren't cuddly, cause sasauge is sure good.

now that your properly rilled up you should feel better knowing that i once donated $1 to PETA.
ok.,, it was in '87 but i donated it. that makes me a better person don't it.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Kacen,

I am capable of inference, if flawed at times. However, I believe there was an implication present.

"Killing seals for "Fashion," is a far cry from clothing oneself out of necessity, or eating to survive. "The raising of "cattle," is no more moral than killing for sport, an activity I am sure you fully enjoy."

Don't kill seals for sport or skins, it is immoral; Eating a seal to survive (Don't we have to eat to survive?) is acceptable. Don't raise cattle, it is as immoral as killing for sport. What I infer from this is that Scott is either a vegetarian or a hunter-gatherer. If he is not a vegetarian, then he eats meat. If he eats meat but not "cattle", then he must hunt his food in the wild.

I did make a supposition when I assumed that he was a vegan and not a hunter-gatherer as I don't see a hunter having the time to play activist on an internet forum. Perhaps Scott will clue us in.

P.S. Would someone mind explaning to me how to properly quote previous posts?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
i hear why your angry and id love to ban wasting the dead seal... but have you even heard of the numbers? seal population - 5.8 MILLION expected seals to be killled in this hunt - 325,000. 5.8 million seals, and every seal likes to eat fish but what happens after theres no more fish?! look at the big picture.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Though I am no Vegan, I can easily draw a distinction between killing for food and killing for sport, animal skins as a necessity for survival in cold climates and a "fashionable' accessory, raising animals for the food supply is a necessary evil in our over-populated human-centric construct. I can certainly draw a moral distinction between subsistence farming/hunting/gathering, and agribusiness(factory farming/animal slaughter.

It is the very separation of the mass of Humanity from the process of supplying the food bank that has eroded any ethical equation in relation to animals in the first place.

Our precarious position atop the food chain dictates an even more precarious moral position. It is the callus attitude displayed; leather seats and McDonalds, devoid of moral choice, that degrades us as sentient beings.
That some do not see this as an ethical quandary at all just goes to prove my point.

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I think the problem he had was that the seals are being killed needlesly? For nothing but the fur? This is an act of evil people is all i can say... If an animal needs killing do it fast and swiftly, dont club it to death with a dull blade to leave it dying for hours.

Its like Fox hunting in the UK, totally needless and done by rich idiots who see it as fun.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
TrueLies, did you even bother to read the link I provided you?

Its information supplied by the Government of Canada on the hunt. Read it.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
TrueLies, there is already a thread on this subject with a good debate going on.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And you should read Dulcimer's Link. Very informative for those who are not informed

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyBoots
to truelies,

easy there. ok, i'll admit it seals are cute n cuddly and that should make them exempt from killing.

good thing cows aren't cute cause, damn, Mcdonalds is good and my truck has leather seats in it.

good thing pigs aren't cuddly, cause sasauge is sure good.

now that your properly rilled up you should feel better knowing that i once donated $1 to PETA.
ok.,, it was in '87 but i donated it. that makes me a better person don't it.

haha.... Everybody needs to listen to "Dennis Leary : No Cure for Cancer"

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   

killing "inferior" creatures is a natural thing.

Didn't Hitler have the same belief when he persecuted the Jews by hunting them down and killing them?

The Klu Klux Klan never hurt anyone either.....they were simply killing "inferior" creatures....but that's "a natural thing", isn't it?

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
"Shame on Canada"

Such a horrible way to start a thread; I, a Canadian, should not be put to shame over the disregarded issues by the Canadian government you bring forth to this forum.

Boycotting Canadian seafood does not help bring this matter to light or resolve it at any rate, if anything, it just hurts mutual economies. Lobby groups would be much better suited, and a plethora of forums for discussions.

Luxifero

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join