It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.-S. Korea drill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Navy Times

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea warned Thursday it will react to upcoming joint U.S-South Korean joint military exercises with an unspecified “strong measure of self-defense,” condemning the drill as saber-rattling for a pre-emptive nuclear attack on the North

These exercises are scheduled for March 25-31. The Navy Times says that there will be 20,000 American troops, an aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln, and an "undisclosed number of South Korean soldiers".

I dont know that I have ever heard of this type of exercise before. Seems like an aweful lot of troops. Maybe N. Korea has good reason to start shaking in their boots. I guess we will have to wait and see. I dont think it looks good though.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by mrsdudara]

[edit on 24-3-2006 by mrsdudara]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Given the escalating rhetoric from NK and the increasing tension in the region is it just me or does it seem like having these kinds of exercises is just asking for trouble? All it takes is someone a little too trigger happy or someone misinterpreting a radar blip and the guano will hit the circulator.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
It's not an exercise to start a campaign in N-K yet.
In contrast it's an exericise to strengthen the military alliance and preparation for the coming war.

Iran will most probably ally up with NK, as they've already a close relationship with each other.

If this scenario becomes reality, the US and SK will have to be prepared to start a campaign against NK as well, or to defend S-K.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:19 PM
link   
After some more research, I found that the Foal Eagle / RSOI excercises have been going on every year for some time now. The big difference this year is that there will be about 14,000 more US troops than the previous years, plus the air craft carrier. So that leads me to wonder if they are planning something, or trying to push buttons so we wont be accused of striking first.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
All North Korea does is make threats. They don't really have the balls to do anything big IMO. I'll be surprised if anything happen's over-there. The only thing that they might do is test one of their Nuke's on their own land, they wont attack the South Korean or Americans.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The number of US troops is about the same as previous years and the rhetoric from North Korea is exactly the same as every previous year.
Example from 2005

These annual US-ROK joint exercises are coordinative and defensive maneuvers to aid in command, communication and execution against any possible future threats to South Korea. The ROK military is large (inside the top ten world rankings in active size), fairly trained and well equipped.

mg

new topics

top topics

join