It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Future Society

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It's obvious that there is a lot happening around us currently, and it is evident that the world, as a whole, and separate societies are changing. My question is, are we heading in the right direction? Frankly, I cannot imagine anyone thinking that we are. We have lost respect for human life and differences in general, the younger generations are being brought up in a way too materalistic society, and most of all our values and ethics have deteriorated.

I was wondering what some of you think.....

[Edited on 23-10-2002 by Enigmatic]

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Happened to the romans...

rotted out from the middle ... attacked by barbarians from outside... a idle rich population unwilling and unable to defend themselves

the similarities are alarming ...

Decline in tradtional family values,
Rise in a bloodthirsty citizen class - who want to be entertained by violence...
Barbarians on the outside with nothing to lose strike and overpower the empire...

etc etc

Maybe technology will save us this time....

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I suppose everything elevated and omnipotent has an end, like the Roman empire. Although technology is causing more problems than good. It is unmistakable that technological advances are needed for our 'survival' as a race, but it also has downsides. With every problem we solve, another question and another problem arises from that single answer. It's a perpetual cycle. I think we dig into things too much. Leave things as they are.

As cruel as it may sound and I hate to say it, but if we advance too much what will keep our population in control? If we ever find the cure to cancer and other diseases, what will happen? Will something else, even more distructive and horrible than cancer develop? Or will we live an unnaturally long life?

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Personally I think that oour genetic structure will become so screwed up from chemicals, hormones, and GE alterations in food that we will all become increasinly infertile and die out ...

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In the early 1980's the british government abolished corporal punishment to kids, This only lead to the kids becoming out of control, and doing anything they want. The kids of that generation are all grown up now. (Im one of them) and we see that many of them are no better grown up that they were as kids. some of my friends are in Jail and some are already dead.
Now we know that technology is always on the increase and our comfortable lives get comfier. Yet in britain today more people moan about society, the government, the health service and so on than ever before.
there are more people out of control today and especially young people, and I say this, It is because of the great lack of dicipline in the childrens upbringing. Bringing up children is almost an art form, it is the hardest thing to do. Yet the parents of today have forgotten this great skill, they do not understand fully the responsibility they have. They have not even got the maturity of knowing what is the very best for their children in order to train them up to face a world full of corruption and deceit.
In Britain who I can only speak for, do you know what the average age is for someone to lose their virginity? its 14.
There are young girls with children at that age, and the guy she had the one night stand with is unknown.
I read in the papers the other day that a girl of 16 was going through her 10th pregnancy. Of the previous 9, 5 of them had been aborted, 3 had been miscarriaged and the other 2 she kept.
This is a cataclysmic upheaval in the education system. Dicipline I say plays a big part in education and the powers that be have forgotten that link. I know this because this 16 year old girl thought what she was doing is great fun. She also loved the attention as well as getting her story and photo in the paper. She probably got paid for it as well.

This is a small example of the world in which we live, and you ask are we heading in the right direction.
I think you already know the answer to that.

IN THE LAST DAYS BECAUSE INIQUITY SHALL ABOUND THE LOVE OF MANY SHALL WAX COLD.

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Technology seems to be a double-edged sword. We have the ability of a production output that is far greater than what it was a few decades ago with far less pollution due to technological advances. Today we can obtain the oil that drives industry (and my beautiful Ford) from almost anywhere and spill hardly a drop due to techno;ogy. Because of technology, we can live all over the world and discuss events that also happen all over the world, and we can do this in real-time. Because of techno;ogy, we have a probe that is beyond our solar system yet is still sending signals back to this world. Technology is a wonderful thing, but just like the .357 on my nightstand, how it is used determines its moral weight.

All of the technology in the world, though, cannot save a society that is rotting from moral decay. At some point there is no return since there is more momentum created by the morally bankrupt than the moral minority. As a matter of fact, the same societal strength that created the strong society is ridiculed and declared old-fashioned and quaint, a silly trait that is no longer needed.
Seems like the West is just about to that point.

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewards Bringing up children is almost an art form, it is the hardest thing to do. Yet the parents of today have forgotten this great skill, they do not understand fully the responsibility they have.

Yeah, it's the same problem in the US too. You can go to college & learn Calculus, Molecular Biology & Physics...But how many colleges have classes in "Father F*uckups 101"?

Originally posted by stewards They have not even got the maturity of knowing what is the very best for their children in order to train them up to face a world full of corruption and deceit.

I blame a small portaion of that on the kiddie shows on TV...They try to teach kids in trust & friendship, but the kids are living in a dangerous world that can very easily kill them. Without learning *caution*, these are the kids that joyfully climb into a van with a complete stranger. When the kids turn up dead & mangled, people get shocked that somebody would do that to a kid...Yet, they don't bother to look at what the *parents* could've taught the kid about caution so that the kid could've survived.

Kudos on your point with morality & technology, TC...Somehow, you always manage to say it better than I do (That must be one of the reasons you're a Mod, huh?).

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 02:04 AM
link   
No of course not, and I only skimmed over this topic to get an over veiw but I did see...steward's post, it caught my eye.

I have a few things to say about why kids are becoming so vulgar.

Reason number 1: It is not the corporal punishment thing.

Reason number 2: Most recently, about 1920s - 30s, the school system changed pretty much to what it is today. Very corrupting influence particularly due to the fact you can be dehumanized but not fight back (bullies and such but are suspended for upholding your honor) If fights were more accpetable there would be fewer because no one likes to fight, it hurts

Reason number 3: Zero Tollerance Policy, this is another good reason, the best if not ONLY way to make a child a well moraled person, is to forgive them when they do wrong, this not only builds up the guilt and fear of doing wrong, but also gives them a way out WHEN they have wronged, when done well non-insane people shape-up.
Our zero tollerance policy is dreadful, a blight on humanity, basically the smallest action of criminality, whether it be skipping class or drinking, FORCES that person to "go all the way". Without forgiveness, you can NOT go back, you are forced to go down in a "hail of gunfire" if you will

Reason number 4: Family values HAVE lowered, tremendously, and when I learn or figure out where exactly they went and why, I'll get back to you.

Reason number 5: My favorite, Music. YES MUSIC. I love most all music, but even I can feal it, the emotions, the moods, it's not like in any movie, or any thing, music alters who you are, effects you and even makes you.
Our music today, is not only very vulgar in lyrics but also in rhythm, which is sad because I love a lot of the music which I call "BaddAssness".

I remember it all from my days in high school, which are not tooooo far behind me, in which during the assemblies they would play musics, and if there is something that made me feel more Invincible, more Destructive, and more God-like, I have yet to find it.

Reason number 5 is most assuredly the strongest, even the greeks knew this, 2500 years ago, they banned their leirs (however it is spelt) to a certain number of strings, seriously because they realized that music effected society and they didn't like the way leirs with I think it was 7 strings, or maybe that is what it was limited to, made music. Today that is totally unacceptable, but if all the music were banned but Classical music, Mozart, Beehtoven, you'd see a near INSTANT change in society.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Happened to the romans...

rotted out from the middle ... attacked by barbarians from outside... a idle rich population unwilling and unable to defend themselves

the similarities are alarming ...

Decline in tradtional family values,
Rise in a bloodthirsty citizen class - who want to be entertained by violence...
Barbarians on the outside with nothing to lose strike and overpower the empire...

etc etc

Maybe technology will save us this time....

A pretty good point of view. I see Occident situation like you NC.

We are like the Roman Empire on his end.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 09:58 AM
link   
to quote Spengler's famous text has been pretty confidently predicted for over a century -I guess it hasn't quite happened.
I can never decide this: is it just a "good old days thing"? Is it no worse than before but technology stuffs it down our throats from the four corners of the world morning noon and night? Is it just "other people" Is it that it's never been so easy to get away with things: bread and circus governments, lenient laws, welfare states?
Is it perhaps the near-collapse of organised religion?
Sometimes I feel that there are still so many decent people, so much medical progress, such access to literature and art. Then I study the news!
I'd be lying if I didn't often agonise years ago about the sort of world I would bring a child into.
I guess we are just too close and only the history of the future (if that doesn't sound too oxymoronic) wil have the answer.
I do however feel that there is a greater sense of not belonging now than has ever been recorded before: people belong less and less to larger units: nations, races, religions, even families.
The battle is perhaps one between abandoning all human fellowship ro striving to build new and different groupings. It's an old enough story: 400 years ago (a little less) Hobbes was tlling Englishmen that life was the war of everyone against everyone while the poet Donne was insisting that no man is an island.
To attempt to restore what has gone, or almost gone, is tempting but possibly futile, now. I think we can only hope to find radically new structures within which to find our places.
As regular poster will know, Estragon has been toddling around east Asia for a long time -old Estragon is a cynic - and with all the poverty, lack of material goods, political repression, lack of formal education, there is still an almost tangible sense of personal identity, responsibility, and hope for the future generations that we seem to be lost.
This is not romanticism or some noble savage cr*p. I wouldn't change places. But a sense of "belonging" (regardless of 'to what?') does seem to enhance day-to-day life.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewards
do you know what the average age is for someone to lose their virginity? its 14.
There are young girls with children at that age, and the guy she had the one night stand with is unknown.

If you DARE say thats a bad thing, chop your head off will i.

And please people, we all know that the american empire IS falling and WILL fall. Its a matter of time.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hey necro99 what do you mean? "If you dare call the average age of losing virginity at 14 a bad thing your head I'll chop off" You perverted sicko, it is people like you that is wrong with america, people like you we should hang from the street lamps as a solemn reminder of the SHAME you bring on us. Why don't you just die, and never speak again you ignorant a$$.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
Hey necro99 what do you mean? "If you dare call the average age of losing virginity at 14 a bad thing your head I'll chop off" You perverted sicko, it is people like you that is wrong with america, people like you we should hang from the street lamps as a solemn reminder of the SHAME you bring on us. Why don't you just die, and never speak again you ignorant a$$.

NUMERO UNO
i am NOT american, i do NOT live in america, NEVER HAS, NEVER WILL.

NUMERO... TWO!
I am 14, and i do NOT want to wait 5478547856745645413651473651431520877457801 years before doing the love dance, DO YOU GOT THAT CLEAR SOLDIER?

YOUR PROBABLY AN OLD 70 YEAR OLD [SIZE=10]PURITAIN[/SIZE] WHO TRIES TO BRAINWASH US WITH YOUR [SIZE=10]CRAPPY IDEAS[/SIZE]

mad:

[Edited on 29-10-2002 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 06:13 PM
link   
necro99 you are going to die a virgin, so mote it be! Karma is everywhere and it befalls the naive the best.

I hope your first opportunity to get laid results in the lady cutting off your genitalia and robbing you of your items, clothing and every last penny you have.

Die, rot and be forgotten.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Necro, please don't audition for the idiot's club here, there are already enough around and your obnoxious use of vulgarity is rude to say the least. I'm sure your parents are proud of your choice of words, but many people here are more mature than that.

On a factual note, America is not an empire. Never has been and never will be under this form of government. If, however, they ever do finally get rid of our founding documentation, all bets are off.

Freemason, while the child is a bit rude tonight, don't you think such a curse is unwarranted? Maybe you should remove it before the little tyke tries to get lucky before you have a chance to, elsewise the blood would be on your hands! *Yuck!*

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 06:42 PM
link   
No I understand that yes it is vulgar and only serves to disrupt the harmony of this string, but I have no respect for the retards (even if they are joking) that only want to get laid and have no respect for life and consequence.
I live in Nevada, and we are the number one state for teenage pregnancies and rapes, and I have seen too many friends have kids at 13 and 14 to sit idley by and let people even BRAG about getting some at that age.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Im not thinking about ONLY that,
But if i dont get a Girlfriend soon im going to go in####################
WHERE THE HELL DO YOU COME FROM?????!!!!!!!!!!

##############################################################

thers nothing that PISSES me off than a stupid little REDNECK that tries to judge me from ONE POST

###############################

[Edited on 29-10-2002 by William]

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Behave.

posted on Oct, 28 2002 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Necro, your posts betray you

posted on Oct, 29 2002 @ 09:30 AM
link   
So mature for a 14 year old...

new topics