It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Son of Star Wars in the UK!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Telegraph: Britain is 'likely base for son of Star Wars'

Just read this and was Shocked and horrified, We cant have the source code for the JSF but good old barmy Bush and his croanes can try and stuff missiles all over the UK.(which would be a possible terror target!! IMO)
I think the special relationship we have with America is being pushed to far IMO!!!
I think it time barmy Bush stopped treating the UK like some old mut tied up in the back yard
I think Tony Blair needs to tell barmy Bush were to go IMHO
I like the American people, but its leaders are a different matter!!
Please let me Know your opinions.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by Kurokage]

Mod Edit: Fixed link

[edit on 2006/3/24 by Hellmutt]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Why shouldn't Britain be part of the missle defense shield???? Anyone that wanted to attack the US with missles, and could also hit britain, would clearly hit britian also. So why do these things make britian less secure??

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Im not saying we shouldnt be. Im saying why is it always one sided when it comes to American, just read through some of these threads about the JSF, it should be on our terms , Not terms dished out by barmy bush!!!

we have backed him in his crazy war on terror. we Brits always stand by our American Bro's, but barmy bush just treats us like some cheap whore!!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
What terms do you feel need to be renegotiated?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
well the source code for JSF for one!!!
we are supposed to be Americas greatest allie
the article states that they decided that the UK was a good choice for the missiles and I bet whitehall will just roll over and have its belly rubed by barmy Bush!
It just annoys me we never get the same respect from American politicians as we do its people

thanks for the reply by the way!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Although the article doesnt mention it im sure that Britain will get something in return for letting the americans base their son of star wars weapons in Britain. Maybe the source codes for the JSF would be be part of the deal.

Justin

Edit:spelling

[edit on 24-3-2006 by justin_barton3]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Lets hope so!!!

but to honest a bit of computer source code in exchange for the UK to defend America again (just like the cold war days) from its enemies is abit on the small side IMO. (the UK was Americas front line defence in a war against Russia)

I know we will also have the son of star wars covering our own backsides, but we wouldnt need it if we stopped running around backing barmy Bush every 5 minutes lol

edit for spelling

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What the heck does "barmy" mean? Some dry English humor you Brits are "famous" for?

Barmy Bush? Have no clue what that means.

Dictionary.com states it as:

1. Full of barm; foamy.
2. Eccentric; daft.

Im guessing you mean number 2

[edit on 24-3-2006 by skippytjc]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
yeah totally 2

soz it just sounded good lol
Its a bit of a barmy English thing lol

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i agree with the main poster. america pushes britain around like a dog. we share our tech with america and america doesnt share its tech with britain. britain shares nuke designs,missiles,harrier jump jets,british stealth tech, chobom armour etc... with america and americans basically dont share much with britain. i persoanlly think britain should cut all contacts on a millitary level with america. we are a small island we cannot even survive after being hit with 1 nuke while america can take many and still survive.

we should not host this system in britain becuase it will endanger our lives. we already payed back america for its help in ww2 by defending it in the cold war against russia by almost nuking the russians. we owe america nothing. we should make a long range Surafce to air missile and give it a small nuke warhead like the russians and have a european missile defence system only and not american. america starts wars all over the world is it really worth having britain destoryed with nukes by north korea(or any body else) for the sake of america. we should also pull out of the f-35 program and instead rehouse/re-case the harrier with upgrades and put it into a stealth body with basic stealth and ram-coat it would be much better then having to beg america for codes for the f-35.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   

we already payed back america for its help in ww2 by defending it in the cold war against russia by almost nuking the russians.

Umm... forgive me for pointing this out but anything that Europe and US did during the cold war against the Russians was mutually beneficial. You defended the US during cold war? How? Europe had no choice but to ally with the US against the Russians, your continent just so happens to be right next to Russia and if any war ever started it would have undoubtedly spilled over into Europe. This war never started because both the US and Europe were allied.

Now, to the topic at hand, I think the UK should be involved in the AMD program because again it is mutually beneficial and you are probably going to get something out of it. As for the hotly debated topic that is the JSF and its source codes I think that its too early for all the uproar to be warranted. Most likely you will get them or there will be a compromise that will still allow the UK to have the source coeds under some terms.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Seeing as I'm an American I guess I might be a bit biased on this. However I personally think it would be highly beneficial for the UK to take part in this agreement. Simply put, those who hate America often find themselves hating the UK. Sorry that that's how things are, but no matter what you do somebody will hate you. I figure the UK may as well have a way of defending itself against ballistic missile threats.

BTW, personally I think you guys are more than trustworthy enough for us to give you the JSF source codes.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Trustworthy? NOW absolutely, but you have to realize that most of those in senior government offices in the US are still suffering from Cold War mentality when the Brits couldn't keep military tech that the US shared with them if their lives depended on it.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx
. we already payed back america for its help in ww2 by defending it in the cold war against russia by almost nuking the russians

You have got to be kidding defended the US from the Soviets? Yeah the massive UK military was what was stopping the Soviets from invading Europe
It couldn't have anything to do with the thousands of US nuclear weapons they had pointed at them.

The UK never had close to equal MAD versus the Soviets in the Coldwar, and the Soviets had enough to literally wipe out all of the UK. It could also have withstood any British nuclear strike you aint wipping out the Soviet union with only 350 nukes.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Although they may not have stopped a Soviet invasion, there is little doubt that the UK would've slowed down the Soviet war machine immensely. From the discussions I've had with various Brits they seem like the kind of people that would give any occupying force more hell than even the Iraqi's could hope to top. Not to mention the UK could probably have launched more than enough nukes to cripple virtually any nation. 350 nukes might not be enough to wipe out an entire nation, but it's more than enough to annilate most goverment and military foundations.

But hey, I think we can all agree that the Brits make for pretty good allies so I don't see what all the fuss is about. Besides, what we do if Monty Python and the Holy Grail had never been made?

[edit on 3/24/2006 by cyberdude78]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I agree with you cyberdude78 but for someone to say the UK military was defending the US from the Soviets is going too far. The UK nuclear arsenal was and is a huge deterent but compared to the nuclear arsenals of the US and USSR during the coldwar it pales.

The Soviets could take one heck of a pounding and still keep comming. In WW2 they lost what 20 million people and still had a insane war machine. Russia has never thought of losing millions as a crippling blow.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
What I was trying to say earlier was that during the cold war America also based parts of its nuclear arsenal here in the UK, and yes it was benifical to both sides.

We as two nations have always been great allies and friends (someone said earlier about monty python, but we to have also gained from this friendship with America people!! Mc Ds lol) but it seems that barmy Bush and the American miltiary have forgotten this IMO.

I think if barmy bush wants our continued support in the future then things need to improve, like this stupid argument about source code for the JSF which could have been sorted out in no time!!!

Yes, the UK is a small nation compared to America, and its military spending is probably about the same as our whole nations entire budget lol
But with the world in the state its in, don't both nations need its greatest allie??? Shouldnt there be more co-operation??

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Why dont we have done with it and become the 53rd state of America. Were almost there now. We dont appear to be making decisions on our future anymore.
Keep the missiles out of the UK i say.

Note: Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think where a bit stuck in the middle to honest, we want strong ties with europe but to be independent of it, and strong ties with America.

how will the rest of europe feel if we do become part of the missile defence system, will America allow other european coutries to join??
we got lot of flak from one or two european countries (not mentioning any names!) when we joined the coalition to fight in iraq!

[edit on 25-3-2006 by Kurokage]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind having Britain become part of US, I'd love to be able to visit London without having to get a passport. Although on the otherhand I think that the UK of all countries deserves to be independant from any higher power.

Now as for other European countries being a part of our ABM system, I believe that there's currently negitations going on with Poland to become a part of this. Also it seems likely that eventually ABM defenses will be stationed on USAF facilities in Germany, so Germany will probably be defended against ballisitic with or without their consent.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join