It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doubts cast on oily fish benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Doubts cast on oily fish benefits

There is no evidence of a clear benefit to health from fats which are commonly found in oily fish, researchers say.

Consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is thought to protect against heart disease and UK guidance advise eating up to four oily fish portions a week.

But the British Medical Journal review of 89 earlier studies looking at heart disease, cancer or strokes found no evidence the fats offered protection.

More...

Well, this pretty much kills any reason to ever eat salmon or tuna again...

:shk:

See also:

The Risk of Eating Farmed Salmon

Mercury and your Tuna

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Omega-3s also promote brain growth. It is thought that early humans developed much of their intelligance while populating areas where fish were plentiful. Aside from the mercury and other toxins, which really blows, fish is still the healthiest meat available for you.

I eat fish because I think it tastes better than chicken or beef. I don't know why my meat intake is limited to three animals though. Strange, and off topic.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hmm, reports from the British Medical Journal, I don't know that I trust that source. I'm sceptical when someone from the medical field claims something like this. Nutrition has been under attack for a while by the legalized drug lords. But, of course it's perfectlly fine to take harmful expensive drugs for heart problems, etc.

Troy

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Interesting.

In that article it was actually mentioned that no positve effects where shown in subjects who had angina. It did also mention that the results contradict previous results from similar studies.

More recent research into whether fish oils are beneficial to the heart as well as the brain (and maybe other areas to) is supporting the benefits of fatty acids such as omega 3 found in fatty fish. Several studies conducted in the U.K, U.S and South East Asia, most notibly Australia (although more relating to children's health) have shown that it can offer protection against a number of ailments including heart disease.
Fish oils have also shown to offer protection and limit the severity of conditions such as depression, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and even alzeimers. This is beleived to be mostly because of the omega 3 acids,
eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). I think it is also helpful to neuron connections, which is mainly why I take it.

Still an interesting study. I can't say whether fish oils could be harmful if you are already affected by a condition/ailment. Probably best to avoid the sickness thing altogether, aye? If only it where that easy.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The mainstream media is always engaging us with "authoritative press releases," such as this. Aspartame is good for you, mercury in vaccines is good for you, Vitamin E doesn't work, and Vitamin C is "expensive urine," the list is unending. Naturally MSM is going to tell you to stop doing what is good for you, since it is also owned by pharmaceutical companies. When you get sick they make tons of money on drugs they themselves document as "ineffective."

Never mind their remedies are probably worse than Dr. Orenthal's Wild West Medicine Show, with falsified research and heavily lobbied FDA "approval." Never mind that these same cartels have been pushing aspartame, genetic engineering, and they are brain dead about and maybe from polluting chemisty. If you believe this without question, you have not only been hypnotized, you have been had.

new topics

top topics

join