It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glacial earthquakes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   

'Glacial earthquakes' warn of global warming

Dramatic new evidence has emerged of the speed of climate change in the polar regions which scientists fear is causing huge volumes of ice to melt far faster than predicted.

Scientists have recorded a significant and unexpected increase in the number of "glacial earthquakes" caused by the sudden movement of Manhattan-sized blocks of ice in Greenland.

A second study has found that higher temperatures caused by global warming could melt the Arctic and Antarctic ice sheets much sooner than previously thought, with a corresponding rise in sea levels.

More...

Amazing...

This is looking more and more serious by the day.

See, also, Little time to avoid big thaw, scientists warn

[edit on 24-3-2006 by loam]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I wonder if I will see the poles green in my lifetime.

I would think the ice would melt faster if broken into the smaller pieces and these glacial earthquakes would do exactly that, and I would think that the earthquakes are caused by the ice melting right??? correct me if am wrong, please.

serious indeed.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Take a look at the Florida your grandchildren will inherit...

London 'under water by 2100' as Antarctica crumbles into the sea

The first study to combine computer models of rising temperatures with records of the ancient climate has indicated that sea levels could rise by up to 20ft (6m) by 2100, placing millions of people at risk.

The threat comes from melting ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica, which scientists behind the research now believe are on track to release vast volumes of water significantly more quickly than older models have predicted. Their analysis of events between 129,000 and 116,000 years ago, when the Arctic last warmed to temperatures forecast for 2100, shows that there could be large rises in sea level.

More...

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Wow.

Scientists say it's faster then they had previously expected, but their previous expectations were already fast

Loam, was there an image for what CA would look like with a 20ft raise?

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
that is a scary map loam

my house is under water!!!!!

that probably means there won't be too many islands left in the caribbean either!!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Sorry, Lucid Lunacy, I don't. I can try and see if they have something though.

WW... Yup, sucks, doesn't it? :shk:

[edit on 24-3-2006 by loam]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:10 PM
link   
there is not nearly as much water traped in greenland and the poles then all the reports say your looking at the most all the ice on land melts maby 15ft not 100. though the day i see CA under water will be ntresting then i dont have to see all those stickers saying "this product is known to cause cancer in CA" whens the last time you have seen "this product is known to cause cancer in indiana" lol anyways did any of these coinside with a minor earthquake? a size one or two could easaly cause a cascading effect in the ice. though it could have easly been caused by fractures from meltimg though that bug of a piece making that size of a quake.....a bit odd wouldent you say

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Hey What about NYC ???? its only about 10 feet from the water if that !
Are we talking scenes from the movie AI here ?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Sorry, Lucid Lunacy, I don't. I can try and see if they have something though.

No worries Loam. I don't want to be a burden. But it's definetly something I am very interested in, so if you happen to come across a map that shows CA in ocean inundations lemme know

new topics

top topics

join