It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans Abroad

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am a very proud immigrant of the United States but sometimes I do get frustrated with some over nationalistic americans that believe everything is better about their country.

Well Canada will always have superior socialized healthcare which is one of the best, and the canadian people are about (I will refrain to say aboot here
) as friendly as the American people.

The only hard feelings I have towards Canada are the Seal Slaughter (because I love cute little fuzzy animals) and my ex-girlfriend treating me like trash after we mutionally agreed to break up (she was from Canada yes).

I know the latter I can't hold accountable towards Canadians but it makes me abit wary about establishing even a friendship with Canadians out of fear that i'll be treated like dirt.

posted on Mar, 29 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   

I guess the point is that when you come to America you don't have to pretend to be from a country that you are not because everyone is welcomed equally
You just said that the Canadian tourists were about to get beaten by gang members. - Hardly welcoming.

[edit on 29-3-2006 by Xeros]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
... typical misinformed american nationalism here... move along.

Seriously, I havent heard one informed statement coming from the american side of the argument... then again, I dont see many coming from the canadian side either.

Lest get things straight...

Yes - Alot of americans pretend to be Canadian when abroad.
Yes - Alot of americans get mugged or get into fights when abroad.
Yes - Its Americas fault.

Last time I was in britain (Manchester to be precise). I brought my inline skates. Now, a point to remember here is in that area, the only people who typically use inline skates on their sidewalks are usually children, and tourists.

A group of guys noticed me skating by... and automatically assumed I must be American. They stopped me and started shoving me back and forth... calling me a yank, effing american... just about any derogatory thing they could think of to call an american.

AS SOON AS they heard me say I'm Canadian, they stopped, actually apologized, and asked if I wanted to come to the pub with them.

That was one hell of a suprise... one second they were about to beat the living snot out of me, and suddenly because I'm canadian, they offer to hang out with me.

And yes, I did meet ALOT of americans in the airport who were wearing Canadian patches on their backpacks, clothing etcetera. I know, becasue I tried striking up conversations with them about canadian politics... only to have them turn around and say theyre actually americans.

I just give them a look of disaproval, and walk away.

[edit on 15-4-2006 by johnsky]

[edit on 15-4-2006 by johnsky]

<< 1   >>

join