It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High voltage ion flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Anyone else see this. Is it real or no.....I am going to try to make one.
It sounds pretty damn legite to me!

jnaudin.free.fr...

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Definetly legit.

Interesting technology. I can see many uses for this.

Silent...no moving parts.... seems cool.

I am going to do a little more snooping.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
the problem with lifters is that one has not yet been built that will support the weight of the voltage generator. This means they have to be teathered in order to operate.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
the problem with lifters is that one has not yet been built that will support the weight of the voltage generator. This means they have to be teathered in order to operate.

im sure the millitary have made a version large enough to house a nucleur powerplant. alot of people dont realise how small they can make a nucleur power plant. for example in one of the nucleur subs britain has there powerplant is the size of a small trash can they where showing this on the discovery channel altough they didnt show how its made buts its pretty interesting to know how small it was. they could easily fit that into a milliterised "lifter" aircraft. im sure the americans already have a working version of this with nuke powerplants.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by iqonx

im sure the americans already have a working version of this with nuke powerplants.

Yeah, it's called the B-2

Electrogravitic (antigravity) technology, under development in U.S. Air Force black R&D programs since late 1954, may now have been put to practical use in the B-2 Advanced Technology Bomber to provide an exotic auxiliary mode of propulsion. This inference is based on the recent disclosure that the B-2 charges both its wing leading edge and jet exhaust stream to a high voltage. Positive ions emitted from its wing leading edge would produce a positively charged parabolic ion sheath ahead of the craft while negative ions injected into it's exhaust stream would set up a trailing negative space charge with a potential difference in excess of 15 million volts.

etheric.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yes lifters really do work... but like someone else pointed out they can't lift their own power source yet. As to the la violette article, that is t. townsend brown effect which doesn't use lifter technology.

They are however way fun to build if you have a couple hundred extra dollars and the patience to work with tin foil and balsa wood.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
lifters were created from the work of T. Townsend Brown. It's called electrogravitics. have a bit of a read on the lifter site and you will see Brown mentioned all over it. And a couple of HUNDRED dollars for tin foil and balsa wood, c'mon dude, get real, do a bit of research.
The most expensive part of a lifter is the power supply and even that isn't that expensive (can be done with a car ignition coil and some other bibs and bobs).

Yes, lifters are fun. High voltage, x-ray emitting fun.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Yeah they really work its errie to see one fly, No moving parts no sound and no expelled mass.

I wouldn't advise making one if you dont have some experience in electronics these things use like 30k-50k volts that could give you a nasty shock.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk

Has anyone tried to add some Helium Baloons to the equasion? If Heavier than Air flight isn't feasible atm, then why not Lighter than air?

Couple hundred bucks for a Lifter?!? You gotta be kidding me, the last lifter I built cost me 20 bucks in Balsa, and that's because the first 2 batches were too heavy. For the power supply, I canibalised an old computer monitor.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Sweet!, No that I have established with out a doubt that this technology is real. I can now commence with how it works.

Is this ion wind ? or something else. There was a lifter that someone made and it worked in mineral oil. How could there be free ions in mineral oil ?

And yes I do have experience with electronics, not at the engineering level but I do have some.

As for power to weight ratio, does anyone think that a marx generator would be sufficient enough to power on of these, It generally pulls from a 6-24v DC source, which could be light enough to fly.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced

And yes I do have experience with electronics, not at the engineering level but I do have some.

You should be ok then, you dont need to a engineering level to safely build one of these just a decent understanding so you dont make a rookie mistake and get a nasty shock.

Most people claim this is a ion wind effect as its never been "proven" to work in a vacuum. Some people debate that they work in part on a "Biefeld-Brown Effect" which would mean this can work in even a vaccum. A naval research lab, concluded in several repeated experiments a net thrust was apparent in vacuum. these tests weren't peer-reviewed, and therefore credibility can't really be given.

link

I dont know about being able to make one that carries it own power source. They needs to be more work to try to increase their efficiency IMO before that. When you compare the power needed to lift a pound of weight lifters pale compared to something like a Helicopter.

It would be interesting if you had access to a amazingly compact power source like (Nuclear power) or even the holy grail of energy storage (Anti-matter) to play around with when making a lifter.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

When you compare the power needed to lift a pound of weight lifters pale compared to something like a Helicopter.

Actually efficiency-wise, lifters are supposed to be just as efficient as a helicopter(which isn't all the efficient in the first place NEway)

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I thought lifters require .96 hp per pound compared to a typical .1 hp per pound of helicopter or .065 hp. For a pound of Piper Cub.

www.markwilson.com...

I would be very impressed if they got it down to .1hp per pound.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

They are however way fun to build if you have a couple hundred extra dollars and the patience to work with tin foil and balsa wood.

I used my outdated computer monitor, scraps left over from building a model plane, tin foil from the kitchen.... my net cost was very near zero.

They are fun though.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
This seems really cool. You've got my interest.

Troy

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I thought lifters require .96 hp per pound compared to a typical .1 hp per pound of helicopter or .065 hp. For a pound of Piper Cub.

www.markwilson.com...

I would be very impressed if they got it down to .1hp per pound.

Measuring in Newtons or Pounds per unit of energy expended provides a more accurate answer. You see the problem with Lifter tech is that it doesn't scale very well. In order to get more thrust you need to increase the airgap as well as the number of airgaps. There is a sweet spot in the airgap as well. Adding in Nitrogen to the discharge arc provides additional thrust. I believe I read that if we were to devise a Lift roughly that has roughly the same lifting surface area as a helicoptor, along with a mechanism to provide a decent supply of extra nitrogen gas to the arcs, then the efficiency of Lifters becomes comparable to a Copter. I cannot remember where I read that, but it does sort of make sense when you consider the different thrust achieved by idendical designs in different areas of the world. Altitude seems to be the primary factor in that, my guess is it's the amount of Nitrogen Gas present at different altitudes.

I'll try and find where I read that.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hmmm interesting if they really can achieve efficiency levels close to helicopters that pretty good. I didnt think about any Nitrogen aspect to thrust. This tech might be well worth looking into by big companies. I doubt the first internal combustion engines were that efficient so I bet you could up the efficiency levels of this tech still further.

I would so love to see a scaled up version that could carry its own power.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Hmmm interesting if they really can achieve efficiency levels close to helicopters that pretty good. I didnt think about any Nitrogen aspect to thrust. This tech might be well worth looking into by big companies. I doubt the first internal combustion engines were that efficient so I bet you could up the efficiency levels of this tech still further.

I would so love to see a scaled up version that could carry its own power.

IMHO....TR3B with a twist. I believe it's propelled by this technology, and that this craft, should it exist, would be made of advanced, ultralight composites designed to house Vacuum Cells within the interior to provide near or neutral boyancy, without the drawbacks of a conventional blimp.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I am know helicopters really well, and have gone up in a few difrent kinds and had a chance to grab the controls for a bit. They do require a lot of thrust for operation. And the amount of fuel used is amazing. Even my radio control chopper ...its .32 engine... eats gas. My point here is that where theres a will theres a way. The first ariplanes and helicopters were jokes, but got developed because military and such saw its potential. I think it is definetly worth a tinker or too and see if a home made one could be made which at least supports a single passenger and its own energy source. I cant believe the military hasnt picked up on this and devloped apon it. But if you got to the ufos area on this site im sure many people will disagree. Which is why I posted here. Wanted concrete info.

Has anyone had experience with the marx generator ? or built one ?

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

IMHO....TR3B with a twist. I believe it's propelled by this technology, and that this craft, should it exist, would be made of advanced, ultralight composites designed to house Vacuum Cells within the interior to provide near or neutral boyancy, without the drawbacks of a conventional blimp.

Very interesting theory. What would you think would be the power source? Fuel cells, a nuclear reactor, nuclear batteries, conventional generators?

Man a craft like that could be a sweet spying platform at night, all black no sound and I would think a tiny thermal image compared to planes or helicopters. Something like that could hover over your house at night and you might not even know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join