It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota: The Easter Bunny is offensive to non-Christians

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by edwardteach
so what would a mild case of oppression be?

Not being able to talk about it at work, mention it as school, being prejudged. Not too shabby huh? I'm grateful I'm allowed to worship, express my faith at home, and talk about it on my time.

i dont preach my faith to others at work or socially, i expect the same courtesy. i wouldnt call that oppression just good manners. why do you want to talk about it at work? in your own home and at your church or socially with likeminded individuals, no probs. Not at my place of work or my kids school.

on the topic, many pre schools and primary schools in australia have banned all sorts of things over the past couple of years, santa claus, easter bunny, nativity scenes. im not a christian so it doesnt really bother me, i have no problem with my kids enjoying these traditions until theyre old enough to make up there own minds.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is a bad road we are headed down. Living in fear of offending someone. I understand that there are openly offensive things that one can do, but come on. If I wore a shirt saying "Western people are stupid," then that is offensive. How does this equate with, say, wearing a shirt that has an Easter theme on it?

We continue on this road we are on then we will end up with no freedom, no freedom of speech or anything. You support this movement of restricted expression, and it's like adding another chain link to your eventual shackles.

In this world of drought, floods, pollution, and monster storms, surely there are more important things that should be addressed rather than whether or not Joe Johnson puts up a Christmas tree on his lawn!

Troy

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

hmmmm, im still not seeing where the oppression is,

Of course not, it's not YOUR oppression. I'm sure you could tell me a bit about how you're oppressed and I'd never ever be able to relate unless I experienced it myself.

considering the majority of the country is christian, heck, evan the presidant is christian. not being able to talk about it at work isnt oppressive, it might offend someone, which is what this thread is about right?

They can talk all day long about drinking, drugs, sex, but I can't say "God"? I disagree with some things in their lifestyle but I have to pat them along and pretend I don't have a lifestyle? That's a bit of a double standard.

and hey, we talk about religion in my school all the time!

Great! Wish I went there, but too late now.

you should see all the religion-based clubs we got goin on, just to list a few: BASIC(brothers ans sisters in christ), muslim student association, jew crew, etc....

I'm glad to hear there's an appreciation of diversity instead of squashing it to pretend everyone is the same. We're not the same.

prejudge, well its not the religion being prejudged, its the people. nothing personel towards you individually, but a lot of christians have it comin. dont a lot of you prejudge homosexuals?

I hope not. Otherwise they're not reading their Book:

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." (Matthew 7)

im sure there are hundreds of thousands of predjudice and racist christians. hell, if being prejudged by some people is being oppressed, every damn person in the WORLD is being oppressed, becouse someone else prejudges their way of life.

Hehe, but some moreso than others. But, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it goes beyond prejudice, but also disallowing me to speak in certain environments EVEN THOUGH I'm on break, lunch, etc.

so untill your being put in camps or having to use seperate facilitys, please dont claim to be oppresed, its offensive to those who actually were opressed at one point. (im a jew, over a third of my family was slaughtered in the houlocaust) You know nothing of oppression.

That's persecution sir, not oppression. And I am sorry to hear about your history. My ancestors were genocidely taken off of the continent I now sit. My grandfathers were workers in coal mines for 12 hours, 6 days a week just to have enough for bread. Every forefather before that were slaves. Unless you have hundreds of years of royalty under your belt, just about every person's family history is the same. Please don't preach to me what the difference is between persecution, oppression and as I said, a mild oppression with a lift saying, "not bad huh"? You want to paint a bad person, you're welcome to do so, but truth be known.

[edit on 7-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
i dont preach my faith to others at work or socially, i expect the same courtesy.

Did I say preach? Where did I say preach? I said talk about. You know, with friends or when someone turns to me and says "what do you think?" But hush hush, I might be overheard. Eghads!

i wouldnt call that oppression just good manners. why do you want to talk about it at work? in your own home and at your church or socially with likeminded individuals, no probs. Not at my place of work or my kids school.

Friends. Am I disallowed from having them from school and work?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
This is a bad road we are headed down. Living in fear of offending someone. I understand that there are openly offensive things that one can do, but come on. If I wore a shirt saying "Western people are stupid," then that is offensive. How does this equate with, say, wearing a shirt that has an Easter theme on it?

We continue on this road we are on then we will end up with no freedom, no freedom of speech or anything. You support this movement of restricted expression, and it's like adding another chain link to your eventual shackles.

It's either freedom of expression for all, or it's freedom of expression for none. Which one does the constitution support?

Personally if someone is prejudice like in your example, I'd rather see it on their shirt than finding out later. I'd know right away that I'd not want to talk to someone who thinks all westerners are stupid.

If you worship Ostara/Easter, wear an Easter shirt. I'll wear a God shirt and maybe we can strike up an interesting conversation...at work or school even.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

i dont preach my faith to others at work or socially, i expect the same courtesy.

Did I say preach? Where did I say preach? I said talk about. You know, with friends or when someone turns to me and says "what do you think?" But hush hush, I might be overheard. Eghads!

i wouldnt call that oppression just good manners. why do you want to talk about it at work? in your own home and at your church or socially with likeminded individuals, no probs. Not at my place of work or my kids school.

Friends. Am I disallowed from having them from school and work?

No your not, but i and many others have had to endure preachy evangelical christians at both work, school and home. Should i have to put up with it?

I am glad you are not one of these types.

The real question of this thread was the banning of traditional imagery ie easter bunny. Which i said didnt bother me, though i dont have a problem with my children enjoying these festive occasions. They should be able to experience these as well as other cultures traditions, perhaps then they can make a personal decision for themselves without pressure from religious groups. Not just christians.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

No your not, but i and many others have had to endure preachy evangelical christians at both work, school and home. Should i have to put up with it?

Nothing should be forced unwelcomed. But, if you ask someone what they think, they shouldn't have a fear of saying it. Or, if they're a friend helping someone out who's in trouble, good advice should be given. Never forced, I totally agree there. We all get to gab here so I never feel I'm "overtalking" everyone.

I am glad you are not one of these types.

Thank you. I appreciate not being considered that way. Some here may disagree, but at least you're open for discussion.

The real question of this thread was the banning of traditional imagery ie easter bunny. Which i said didnt bother me, though i dont have a problem with my children enjoying these festive occasions. They should be able to experience these as well as other cultures traditions, perhaps then they can make a personal decision for themselves without pressure from religious groups. Not just christians.

The bunnies, eggs and chocolate are not Christian by any means, yet, my daughter comes home from school with all three. "Honey, did they teach you about anything else?" "No" says she and she's on her way. Hm. Okay, so she got a free lesson in another religion but no representation from other beliefs. Is that really fair? She's not making any decisions. Teacher says "do this" and being the obedient child she is, she does. Teacher says, "have this" taking it being the thankful child she is. There is NO decision involved and it is far from fair. Can I say, "refuse these things my dear, and take in this cake shaped like a cross to everyone"? And "after you're done singing Peter Cottontail, I'd like you to hand out these songsheets with Oh Calvary on it. It has the notes on it so your music teacher can play piano with it."?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Where Easter Eggs really come from

[edit on 7-4-2006 by MauiStacey]

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   

The bunnies, eggs and chocolate are not Christian by any means, yet, my daughter comes home from school with all three. "Honey, did they teach you about anything else?" "No" says she and she's on her way. Hm. Okay, so she got a free lesson in another religion but no representation from other beliefs. Is that really fair? She's not making any decisions. Teacher says "do this" and being the obedient child she is, she does. Teacher says, "have this" taking it being the thankful child she is. There is NO decision involved and it is far from fair. Can I say, "refuse these things my dear, and take in this cake to everyone shaped like a cross"?

maybe im fortunate in the school that three of my children are now attending do explain the significance of the various traditions not just the christian ones. This should be the view of all educational facilities, i know, perfect world.

Yes we are a christian society here in australia, but we are also multi cultural, more so every year. All faiths deserve respect, even those of us that do not have a religious faith. The world is getting smaller and ideologies are going to be living in closer proximity to each other more and more.

Temperance, understanding and respect should be shown to all, and we dont need to be christian to hold these values dear. Again a perfect world scenario.

Anyway i'll still be buying easter eggs for my kids, and they are learning about christs crucifixtion and resurrection at school. They also celebrated chinese new year and learnt about ramadan. btw i havent passed on my atheist beliefs to my children yet but i will when they're older, explain my position, its then up to them.

Cheers
M4S

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

maybe im fortunate in the school that three of my children are now attending do explain the significance of the various traditions not just the christian ones. This should be the view of all educational facilities, i know, perfect world.

I'm good with that...and surprised that school is allowed to utter the word "Jesus" without a parental molitoff riot. Kudos to that.

Yes we are a christian society here in australia, but we are also multi cultural, more so every year. All faiths deserve respect, even those of us that do not have a religious faith. The world is getting smaller and ideologies are going to be living in closer proximity to each other more and more.

Temperance, understanding and respect should be shown to all, and we dont need to be christian to hold these values dear. Again a perfect world scenario.

Anyway i'll still be buying easter eggs for my kids, and they are learning about christs crucifixtion and resurrection at school. They also celebrated chinese new year and learnt about ramadan. btw i havent passed on my atheist beliefs to my children yet but i will when they're older, explain my position, its then up to them.

Cheers
M4S

I think this country has got a lot to learn about that then. Glad to hear the freedom from oppression exists there and can only hope that someday such liberties would be granted in this corner of the world without hypocritical double-standards.

[edit on 8-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I think this country has got a lot to learn about that then. Glad to hear the freedom from oppression exists there and can only hope that someday such liberties would be granted in this corner of the world without hypocritical double-standards.

[edit on 8-4-2006 by saint4God]

Not sure that were all that good across the board here, im sure we still have a long way to go. I think we just happen to be fortunate with the teachers that happen to be working at this particular school. There is still alot of blatant hypocrisy here as well as pandering to minority opinions.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Seriously, go buy your kids a basket with some fake grass and throw a friggan chocolate bunny in there. I'm sure they will LOVE it. Then celebrate your religious holiday on the day it was meant to be celebrated. It has more meaning that way, IMO. And instead of seeing easter as a pagan ritual or whatever, think of it as celebrating spring, the winters over, time to get back to the beach and the pool, go play ball with your kid, go for a walk, enjoy the sun.

[edit on 8-4-2006 by edwardteach]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Any real griping should be about things like the rainforests being destroyed, pollution and such. All this griping about Christmas trees and stuff is just creating confusion and problems. What does it accomplish?

Let the harmless traditions be!

Troy

[edit on 9-4-2006 by cybertroy]

[edit on 9-4-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Seriously, go buy your kids a basket with some fake grass and throw a friggan chocolate bunny in there. I'm sure they will LOVE it. Then celebrate your religious holiday on the day it was meant to be celebrated. It has more meaning that way, IMO. And instead of seeing easter as a pagan ritual or whatever, think of it as celebrating spring, the winters over, time to get back to the beach and the pool, go play ball with your kid, go for a walk, enjoy the sun.

[edit on 8-4-2006 by edwardteach]

Actually down here winters about to start and i hate the cold.

so what should i be celebrating!

(edit so its not a one line post).

[edit on 9/4/06 by mojo4sale]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   

the winters over, time to get back to the beach and the pool, go play ball with your kid, go for a walk, enjoy the sun.

I can and do do these things without Ostara rituals. But, thanks for the encouragement. I don't know why people believe just because I don't do Ishtara's biddings I lock my family in a cage and we just look at each other scowling. That's silly. There's a lake and I intend on being in the middle of it on a kayak.

Alright friends, let's make this conversation interesting. Here's the photo and the link, please discuss:

www.rainbowcastle.org...

[edit on 10-4-2006 by saint4God]

[edit on 10-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
That's crazy, they have non-Christians living in Minnesota!

The easter bunny isn't Christian it's american, check it's work visa if you don't believe me!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   

......The fact that you are alive, that winter down here is hardly a hardship that you are still free to go out and buy your kids easter eggs and a chocolate bunny if that is what they fancy.

Celebrate life......

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

(edit so its not a one line post).

[edit on 9/4/06 by mojo4sale]

Ummmm.....celebrate getting a brand new sweater!! And ummm...ok thats all I got. So go get a brand new cozy sweater. Or maybe some flannel pajamas and curl up next to the fire. With a hot cup of hot chocolate.

lol does that help?

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Its only fair that christians have to defend their holy days and traditions, in the tradition of the christian assault on halloween. I actualy think its an anti candy conspiracy. Down with religion, up with milk duds! Hail Eris.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
That's crazy, they have non-Christians living in Minnesota!

Well I'm a non-Christian living in Minnesota.
And the Easter bunny doesn't offend me. I am Pagan however.

I think the reason why schools go ahead and have the kids do all sorts of art projects with bunnies and eggs is because they don't see those things as religious symbols. So if your children come home with these things they aren't neccesarily getting a lesson in Paganism unless the teacher is explaining these symbols importance in Paganism. Which they don't because I remember wondering since I was a child what the bunnies and eggs have to do with Easter.

I have no problem with schools teaching about different religions as long as they are doing it without preaching a certain religion. I also definatly think people should be able to discuss their religion in public as long as they aren't preaching.

Although I have to confess I get a little peeved that the school celebrates St. Patricks day. My daughter isn't Catholic and we don't live in Ireland. However I suppose it's an opprotunity for her to learn a bit about another culture so i can't get too mad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join