It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota: The Easter Bunny is offensive to non-Christians

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I will have to agree that this could be the decisions of some people taking upon themselves to dictated what is Offensive or not to others.

If complains are not directly coming from none Christians then I will have to assume that is personal.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Can't we just continue on the thread from last year? Or maybe the thread on the year before that? How 'bout the one from... Anyway.

There won't be any egg hunts, Ishtar bunnies, or solstice marshmellow peeps in my house.

"But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)

Here's the kicker friends. We're going to have a lot of fun
. No hyperglycemic shock, but rather a Resurrection Sunday celebration of the gift God gave us, His son Jesus who died and was raised again to pay the penalty for our sins and purchase a place in heaven for those who believe. If eternal life & happiness doesn't get you excited, I don't know what will.

[edit on 31-3-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   
you live a pretty sad life, if something like this offends you.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by logreq
you live a pretty sad life, if something like this offends you.

I'm not offended, it's just not welcomed in my house. I live a great life and my family does as well. I feel sorry for those who have a dependence on chocolate, bunnies, and colored eggs in order to have a good time.

[edit on 2-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yes, it's a pagan symbol. I'm not Christian, and I don't find the Easter Bunny offensive. Just extremely annoying. Same as Barney and Mr. Rogers.

That's like saying that Lambchop was offensive to Vegetarians.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
The Easter Bunny is offensive to me as a fundamentalist Christian!

What in the world does some stupid egg-laying rabbit have to do with Christ's resurrection?

NOTHING!

Jesus rose from the dead three days after Passover, not on Ishtar or Easter Sunday. You know the saying, they breed like rabbits? Rabbits are popular around the pagan holiday of Easter because of fertility. Ishtar is the fertility goddess.

Even Acts 12:4 tells you that Herod observed Easter. The apostles didn't.

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
The Easter Bunny is offensive to me as a fundamentalist Christian!

Erm...why? The day that's recognized currently was originally spring solstice and our Holyday was moved to this date to accomodate the public, yes? Our Holyday should be (looks at Jewish Calendar) April 23rd, 3 days after Passover ended which this year is a Sunday right? Or, we can go by those town-officials ruling and celebrate it according to Isthar's day as well.

What in the world does some stupid egg-laying rabbit have to do with Christ's resurrection?

NOTHING!

Jesus rose from the dead three days after Passover, not on Ishtar or Easter Sunday. You know the saying, they breed like rabbits? Rabbits are popular around the pagan holiday of Easter because of fertility. Ishtar is the fertility goddess.

Ya, you're right, but don't know why it offends.

Even Acts 12:4 tells you that Herod observed Easter. The apostles didn't.

Help please, I don't see Easter mentioned here.

[edit on 3-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Minnesota: The Easter Bunny is offensive to non-Christians

Isn't it offensive to everyone? A big fat bunny that hands out candy to our kids. I picture a perv in a bunny suit? Call me crazy.........The Easter Bunny is probably friends with Barney.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Apostles no easter? They observed lent, and passed that tradition on to their acolytes, the early church fathers.

posted on Apr, 4 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is another crazy thing not to offened non- Christians well gess what if you are a part racial minority in a Christian country like usa, canada or uk then gess what you have too put up christian traditions like easter or xmas but if you ask racial minorities about if they are bothered about christian traditions like easter they dont mind puting up with it.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I hope my post is not too far off the subject, but I have to vent a little.

Sometimes traditions are fun, no matter what they really celebrate. I see no problem with the easter bunny (and I'm not talking about the personal life of the guy inside the suit), chockolate, or colorful eggs. I know that kids have a lot of fun looking for the eggs, have fun coloring, and eating chockolate once in a while. I'm fairly certain they could not care less whether the tradition worships some pagan godess. I bet that doesn't enter their minds even once during that Sunday. It is for the kids, and they seem to have fun with it.

I also don't understand how this easter bunny could possibly offend non-christians (particularly because bunnies and eggs are not a Christian symbol). If you don't want to practice that tradition, you don't have to. Keep in mind, though, that just because YOU don't want to, doesn't give you the right to stop everyone else from celebrating. No one is forcing you, and you shouldn't be forcing anyone else either.
I cannot believe what we have come to. I can't believe that the sight of a rabbit or eggs would start sending chills down people's spines (unless of course someone was abused by a rabbit, and even then you can't expect offices/businesses to know your terrible past). I know I don't get offended at the sight of the star of David, or symbols of any other religion. Then again, maybe I have a higher tolerance level. Some people simply don't want to be tolerant, they want things done their way, even if no physical harm comes to them from these things. I would completely understand if Christians were physically determined to convert every citizen to their faith, but that's not happening (unless you love conspiracies, and in your head that is exactly what's happening.
).

I'm one of those people who hate the fact that everything (holidays especially) has become so commercialized, Christmas especially. I love the decorations and lights, but hate the non-stop holiday commercials. People start getting offended over Christmas trees, "Merry Christmas" greetings, and so forth, YET,..... the christmas tree is a pagan symbol, not Christian. Jesus was really born around April 17th, not December 25th,..... Gift giving was a pagan (Roman) practice, etc. Basically, nearly everything about our current Christmas holiday is a pagan ritual. If anyone should be offended, it should be the Christians, yet most of them seem to enjoy it. Why? Because it is a time for families to get together, have dinner, act giving toward each other, and the kids love the presents, not to mention the decorations. Is that an offensive activity? Honestly,...unless someone is forcing you to participate, IMO (as insensitive as this sounds) you should keep your mouth shut, and go about your regular business. If you find harmless things to be offended about, you've got bigger problems, and probably far too much time on your hands.
In case anyone is wondering, I follow no particular religion.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
The act of removing the Easter Bunny is almost as puerile as Banks in the UK removing Piggy Bank moneyboxes because it might offend someone.

The ‘bunny’ started in pagan times but it was then the "Easter hare". This was no ordinary animal but a sacred companion of the old goddess of spring, Eostre. The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore. The Hare and the Rabbit were the most fertile animals known and they served as symbols of the new life during the Spring season. Since long before Jesus Christ was born, parents told their children that the magic hare would bring them presents at the spring festival. The presents were often painted eggs, as these represented the new life starting at this time of year."

In Australia many people have replaced the ‘bunny’ with the Bilby. The Bilby is a cute little native animal, which is endangered and in fact their habitat is being destroyed by rabbits.

Cute little guy don't you think?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
2manyquestions- whoooo!!! yeahhhhh!!! preach it brother!!!
seriously thats like the smartest thing ive heard all week. i'm agnostic and ive been feeling a bit hypocritical celebrating these christian holidays. yea i know im supposed to be open minded, well i am, just, well not about the whole christian thing. i wont get into that, might offend someone. anyway, (sorry for strayin') i like the whole celebrating spring, fertillity, and all that jazz. i also like all the pagan influences of the christmas tradition.

just an off-topic question, whats with this "christian persecution is everyday life" jazz i keep hearing about? what persecution???

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by edwardteach
just an off-topic question, whats with this "christian persecution is everyday life" jazz i keep hearing about? what persecution???

Fortunately there isn't Christian persecution in the country I'm in (U.S.A) but that not to say people in other countries around the world aren't being beating, imprisioned and killed in other ones.

In the U.S, we may have a mild case of oppression from time to time, but I think overall we have A LOT to be grateful for.

Which brings me my next point. I can agree that the easter bunny doesn't offend me (nor colored eggs and such). But, my house isn't going to have Ishtar's celebration present. We don't worship her and have no business carrying out her rituals...er...celebration. We'll celebrate Resurrection Sunday, the gift of eternal life and that's a lot to be very, very happy about.

[edit on 5-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
In the U.S, we may have a mild case of oppression from time to time, but I think overall we have A LOT to be grateful for.
[edit on 5-4-2006 by saint4God]

so what would a mild case of oppression be?

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Not being able to talk about it at work, mention it as school, being prejudged. Not too shabby huh? I'm grateful I'm allowed to worship, express my faith at home, and talk about it on my time.

posted on Apr, 5 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This is just too much anymore. I'm just so anoyed by folks who think it is their duty to show everyone how offensive, such and such holiday is.

Offensive to who? What percentage of the people on this planet are really and truly offended by a damn Easter bunny? It's like a small percentage of this world wants to make the majority of people miserable.

It's the person who walks up to me and spits in my face and tells me I'm a pile of crap that I find offensive. Not an Easter Bunny with chocolate eggs. Am I missing something, I don't remember feasting on babies or sacraficing a virgin at an Easter celebration?

Are we going to have bright lights on us, in some interregation room in the future, where we have to explain to investigators what we were doing on Easter. "I swear officer, we just hid eggs, and ate a ham, but honestly we didn't say the word EASTER to anybody outside our group, I swear! Oh no, maybe it was one of our kids who said that word to the neighbors!"

The politically correct thing is going too far.

Troy

[edit on 5-4-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Offensive to who?

I'm surprised that pagans aren't offended by Christians celebrating on that day.

"Easter takes its name from Ishtar, the Babylonian and Assyrian goddess of love and fertility. The Phoenicians knew her as Astarte, sister and consort of Baal, a god worshipped in much of the Middle East and Mediterranean. Some of the ancient Hebrews also worshipped Baal.

Astarte spread through Europe, becoming Ostara, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring, fertility, and the rising sun. The Old English word for Easter, "Eastre" refers to Ostara.

Around the second century A.D., Christian missionaries seeking to convert the tribes of northern Europe realized that the time of the crucifixion of Jesus roughly coincided with the Teutonic springtime celebrations, which emphasized the triumph of life over death. Christian Easter gradually absorbed the traditional symbols."

As you can see, missionaries blended their Holy Day to Ostara's day.

Originally posted by cybertroy
Am I missing something, I don't remember feasting on babies or sacraficing a virgin at an Easter celebration?

The goddess Easter/Ishtar: inanna.virtualave.net... . Ancient babylonians utilized small animals as sacrifices.

On modern sacrifices, divination, altars and prayers in the Ostara celebration by druidic/celtic tradition, www.adf.org...

[edit on 6-4-2006 by saint4God]

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

2manyquestions- whoooo!!! yeahhhhh!!! preach it brother!!!
seriously thats like the smartest thing ive heard all week. i'm agnostic and ive been feeling a bit hypocritical celebrating these christian holidays. yea i know im supposed to be open minded, well i am, just, well not about the whole christian thing. i wont get into that, might offend someone. anyway, (sorry for strayin') i like the whole celebrating spring, fertillity, and all that jazz. i also like all the pagan influences of the christmas tradition.

I do what I can.

The Christian persecution people talk about (at least in the U.S.) may be the removal of "In God We Trust" from our money, removing the word "God" from the Pldege of Allegiance, removing religion from schools alltogether, removing christmas trees (and "Merry Christmas" signs) from public places, and removing crosses (and the 10 commandments) from public/government offices, and land. It nearly went as far as removing Christian symbols from many of the city heraldry shields (if that is the correct term for that). Problem is, Christianity is part of U.S. history, as Christians pretty much founded this nation. Hence, Christian symbols can be found in many different locations, and essentially, we would be removing/errasing our history.

The argument is that if people of all religions (and non-religions) pay taxes, holiday seasons should cater to all religions and atheists,....keeping things like Christmas trees and "Merry Christmas" signs out of public sight,...since that only represents one religion. To do this is to be all-inclusive,...so signs like "Happy Hollidays" is what you'll be seeing from now on (at least in the U.S.) Problem is; why are these holidays happening?? Celebrating winter solstice (a pagan practice) is the only reason I can think of,... and maybe the New Year. So in some sense we ARE celebrating religious holidays, but let us not say that out loud, lest someone might become offended. If things keep going the way they are, pretty soon we'll be outlawing religion completely. Do I agree with it? Probably not. It would make things interesting if every religion celebrated and decorated their holidays publically. More reasons to have fun!
I wouldn't mind (unless human or animal sacrifice were involved). I think some people may be simply too uptight to tolerate anything like that, and,...since we're all PC, we must cater to the 20 people who are offended by what the other 100 million are doing (I'm exaggerating of course
).

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Not being able to talk about it at work, mention it as school, being prejudged. Not too shabby huh? I'm grateful I'm allowed to worship, express my faith at home, and talk about it on my time.

hmmmm, im still not seeing where the oppression is, considering the majority of the country is christian, heck, evan the presidant is christian. not being able to talk about it at work isnt oppressive, it might offend someone, which is what this thread is about right? and hey, we talk about religion in my school all the time! you should see all the religion-based clubs we got goin on, just to list a few: BASIC(brothers ans sisters in christ), muslim student association, jew crew, etc....

prejudge, well its not the religion being prejudged, its the people. nothing personel towards you individually, but a lot of christians have it comin. dont a lot of you prejudge homosexuals? im sure there are hundreds of thousands of predjudice and racist christians. hell, if being prejudged by some people is being oppressed, every damn person in the WORLD is being oppressed, becouse someone else prejudges their way of life.
so untill your being put in camps or having to use seperate facilitys, please dont claim to be oppresed, its offensive to those who actually were opressed at one point. (im a jew, over a third of my family was slaughtered in the houlocaust) You know nothing of oppression.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join