It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minnesota: The Easter Bunny is offensive to non-Christians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
A human rights director in Saint Paul Minnesota recently removed an Easter bunny from the lobby of the City council houses because they might be offensive to non-Christians.

ABC News

St. Paul's human rights director, Tyrone Terrill, asked that the decorations be removed, saying they could be offensive to non-Christians.

But City Council member Dave Thune says removing the decorations went too far, and he wonders why they can't celebrate spring with "bunnies and fake grass."

I really didn't expect something like this out of Minnesota.
I would not have imagined a place like that as being overly PC and removing innocent symbols out of fear of offending people.

The thing about this though is that there probably were no complaints from members of other religions, just like many other instances in which symbols associated with Christianity were taken down.

I don't know why there's such a big trend for Christians to be ashamed of expressing their own traditions and beliefs.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by AceOfBase]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There's nothing Christian about the Easter Bunny. The whole egg thingy is from fertility rituals that pre-date Christianity. And as far as I know Jesus didn't have a pet rabbit, so I'm totally unclear where the bunny came from.

This guy is a flaming moron! TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!

[edit on 3-23-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The conspiracy in this is that the "establishment", through the different little hate groups and rabid lunatic elements of society, are trying to erase Christianity from American culture and even history.
The humorous thing is that Christianity should have erased the Easter Bunny and the other non-Biblical nonsense from its "traditions" a long time ago.

Why do the Christians sit back and say nothing while their beliefs are demonized and misconstrued? Because they feel it would be impolite to stand up and speak up. How silly, if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Why just the Easter Bunny? How about the Tooth Fairy? Is the Tooth Fairy going to be offensively Christian next?

People like this tick me off.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The Easter Bunny should offensive to Christians, no?
Seriously doesn't the whole Easter egg/bunny thing take away from the Christian holiday?
It is a pagan symbol right?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Why do the Christians sit back and say nothing while their beliefs are demonized and misconstrued? Because they feel it would be impolite to stand up and speak up. How silly, if you ask me.

I don't think so.

It's because a vast majority of Christians don't know what the true origins of easter egg hunting and bunnies with baskets are. And who the heck cares what they are...hunting easter eggs is fun! If a person can't handle an archaic ritual which is now a game and still teach their own kids the religious significance of Easter Sunday, they probably should have forgone the "having the kids" part.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Okay, maybe not that incarnation.

But here's a similar situation:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Addams Monkeys, not just for the family anymore...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
There's nothing Christian about the Easter Bunny. The whole egg thingy is from fertility rituals that pre-date Christianity. And as far as I know Jesus didn't have a pet rabbit, so I'm totally unclear where the bunny came from.

This guy is a flaming moron! TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!

[edit on 3-23-2006 by Valhall]

I copied this out of my thread in the Website-related Discussion forum. Most of the pagan holidays that we celebrate are covered.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So, now let's celebrate the risen Messiah. What a special day, man is free and death is defeated.

Yes Easter Sunday, lets celebrate. Problem is Jesus likely did not rise on SUN-DAY. Let's be sure and worship the sun.

Easter comes from the Goddess Ishtar, wife of the sun god Baal. Ishtars real name was Semiramis.

Semiramis actually invented this Matrix as Satan commanded. She claimed Nimrod died and was now the sun god Baal. She claimed to have come down from the moon in an egg that landed in the Euphrated River. That is where Ishtars Egg comes from.

Her son Tammuz was fond of rabbits and they became sacred in ancient religion.

I could go on and on, but you should have the idea. The day we should worship the risen savior, we again celebrate a pagan day. We celebrate the goddess Ishtar.

And the Matrix rolls on.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Sun Matrix]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Removing it because its 'offensive' is stupid and has no real legal basis, the constitution doesn't have a provision about not being offended, even by the government.

What it does talk about is preventing the establishment of a religion by the state, and what the founders talked about was the separation of church from state, so why should the state and town put up a christian religious display (despite its paganistic origins, but lets face it that'd include everyone but jesus himself anyways)?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Come on folks.

Enough.

"I'm offended, you're offended. We're all offended."

Who's happy......................?

What could someone looking to offend do in the face of someone that realises what "to be offended" means these days?

Nothing.

Do you realise what being on the 'offended' side of an argument does for your opposition, whatever it is?

'Offended' and 'offensive' mean nothing anymore.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by kegs]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Tom, you are right. This being done covertly due to hate and meaness, but I don't mind. Persecution is a daily part of Christian living and it doesn't always come in the form of lions and cauldrons of boiling water. Just live with it. Be proud of suffering for your God. That's how I feel about this issue, and I just give up attempting to change people's opinions- too much propaganda against us these days (at least in Northamerica and Europe).

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Who's Tom??

If it's me, then I have to say I'm very offended at your insinuation.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Easter comes from the Goddess Ishtar, wife of the sun god Baal. Ishtars real name was Semiramis.

Semiramis actually invented this Matrix as Satan commanded. She claimed Nimrod died and was now the sun god Baal. She claimed to have come down from the moon in an egg that landed in the Euphrated River. That is where Ishtars Egg comes from.

Wow! That's a version I've never heard before (and I've heard alot). You might want to take a look at this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Of course, I realize that due to the similarity between the names Eostre & Ishtar, that they are probably connected somehow. All these fertility goddesses eventually trace back to Inanna (Astarte, Ashtoreth, Aphrodite, and likely, Asherah as well). It's all about new life. Spring. Rabbits were a common symbol because of their propensity to rapidly reproduce.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:03 AM
link   
let's see....

christmas tree.....really a pagan symbol that was somehow given a place in a chrstian holiday...by the way, I've read somewhere that there is really no way in heck that Christ was born in Dec. it just get too cold in Isreal that time of year for him to have survived in a manger. But, surprisingly, Christmas does occur around the same time as the winter soltice?? which originally had as part of it's celebration something much similar to the christmas tree...

now the little Easter Bunny, again more pagan than christian, along with those pretty little eggs that he carries. both originally were used to celebrate the spring soltice.....

and the fact that it falls on a Sunday?? ummm...wonder if people will start finding it "offensive" to have the government offices closed on Sunday, because of it's "Christian meaning"...again, the sabbath is not Sunday, read in the Bible what it says about the Sabbath, on the 7th day of the week....a sign for all that those who observe it served a different God than those around them, many of who at the time happened to be Sun worshippers who worshipped on Sunday!!!

the cross has a meaning far older than Christianity also.....originally the christian sign was a fish!

so, who is really behind all this purging of our culture of these pagan symbols?? it isn't the pagans, I assure you. they kind of like the easter eggs, as well as the christmas trees. BUt, it seems to me, that those fundamentalists, they like to take the words in the Bible quite literally, and many would like to take us back to the old testament times......could they want to purge the culture, as well as their religion of all these "pagan influences" also? it's just easier to blame it on the nonbelievers to divert the anger from society, and those less extreme christians? and gee, they get to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak....since all the while they can point at this happening and proclaim just how persecuted they are in this country, how our legal system is running amuk, ect. ect.

what can I say, this site is for conspiracies, and well, this would be one heck of one, don't ya think?

[edit on 24-3-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It isnt important if its chrisitian or pagan, tradition is tradition.

What I find incredibly hard to believe is the lengths to which the local administration has gone to seem PC. They "think" that it may offend non-christians ? Have they receiveed any actual confirmation of this being offensive to non-christians ?
I believe that the administrative officials are being lazy, trying to solve a problem by destroying the 'perceived' bone of contention instead of trying to make various communities understand and respect each others traditions without taking offence. Since they do not/can not do this, they have choosen the easy way out. Moreover its not like Easter is something new or some remote practice is it, those who find it offense would have to live with it, as the majority has the prerogative.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
what happened to peoples tolerance of being offended? what are we so afraid of offending someone that we are now encouraging people to be intolerant of things?

Besides, the Easter Bunny is more of a mechendising tool like Santa Claus that has been over glorified by Capitalizum the relgious significance has all but been forgotten.

If no one wants to eat thier chocolate easter bunnies or eggs because you are offended or see it asa religious symbol, send me a PM and I will give you my address to mail it to me

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Since the problem with all these religious or religious motivated celebrations lately in which seems that religion is been attacked, I am leaning more and more to the point that religion is becoming its own enemy.

What many fail to see is that the attack is more to the pagan humble beginnings of religious celebrations that to religion or Christianity itself.

I really enjoy all the celebrations around be pagan or religious in nature as long as it makes somebody or some children happy.

But it seems that is been an attack to these celebrations and like I said I don't feel that is actually more religious motivated than anti religion.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lordling

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

Wow! That's a version I've never heard before (and I've heard alot). You might want to take a look at this:

en.wikipedia.org...

Of course, I realize that due to the similarity between the names Eostre & Ishtar, that they are probably connected somehow. All these fertility goddesses eventually trace back to Inanna (Astarte, Ashtoreth, Aphrodite, and likely, Asherah as well). It's all about new life. Spring. Rabbits were a common symbol because of their propensity to rapidly reproduce.

Actually all of the goddesses can be traced to Semiramis, queen of Babylon. This includes ALL of the Greek and Roman gods. Same lie, different names and forms. The lie that blinds the earth. Check out my thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

I really didn't expect something like this out of Minnesota.
I would not have imagined a place like that as being overly PC and removing innocent symbols out of fear of offending people.

It's not the first time:

It's not the first time a holiday symbol has been removed from City Hall. In 2001, red poinsettias were briefly banned from a holiday display because they were associated with Christmas.
www.startribune.com...

The thing about this though is that there probably were no complaints from members of other religions, just like many other instances in which symbols associated with Christianity were taken down.

You're right, nobody complained. From the same link as above:

Tyrone Terrill, the city's human rights director, asked that the decorations be removed. Terrill said no citizen had complained to him.

I don't know why there's such a big trend for Christians to be ashamed of expressing their own traditions and beliefs.

I don't think Christians are ashamed. It's in vogue to attack Christian symbolism under the pretext that Christianity has enjoyed an unfair advantage in popularity in the US. Symbols from other religions are permitted because they have (incorrectly) been labeled secular instead of religious.

originally posted by kegs
Who's Tom??

If it's me, then I have to say I'm very offended at your insinuation.

I think he was referring to TC.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
A stand up comedian on "Evening at the Improv" some years ago included the following (which I paraphrase) in his routine....

"What's with Easter Eggs anyway?"
"Did Christ, at the Last supper tell his apostles that he was going to be whipped, beated and die for their sins... but that when he arose he absolutely didn't want to see any eggs around here?"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join