It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time speeding up?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

How can "time" really speed up, if time is a man made creation used to measure one point of a day to another, unless man is speeding up the time.

Actually the measurement of time (seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc) is a creation of man, however, time itself is definately not a creation of man

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
clearly , sadly

a lot of folks are merely

posting , but not reading.

on very long threads I understand.

but this is a short thread.

toasted

[edit on 19-9-2006 by toasted]

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I also feel that the time is running faster, but at the least for me, i had a experience that proofs to me this felling is just a mental alucination of some kind.how?

- 3 months ago a friend gave to me the 1st and 2nd seasons of the original star trek tv series that i was used to see when i was a child.(70's). each episode is more or less 40 minuts long. when i was seeing a episode, many many times i noticed me thinking..."Jesus i am seing this episode for a eternity...", when in fact my cd player just marked there something like 20 minuts!!
so i have realized this:

-at the present by some reason our brain induce us that weird felling of time running faster and faster, but as soon as i start to see, and be focused on something from my childwood, my perception of time becames the same as when i was at that time( due to memorys), so it looks it's the brain it's doing this "time running feeling".
if some one can do this test please do it, and post the results pls, go see in the TV set something you used to see in childwood, and see if your perception of time change also.

it is realy interesting

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
As has been said as you get older our perception of time is relative to our age. At 10 y.o. 1 year is 10% of your life. At 50 a year is 2% of your life.

This being so, our perception of time will speed up as we get older.
As sentient beings we are interpreting information all the time.
Regarding time how many of us have been in a dangerous situation where adrenaline etc slows time down to allow us to make survival judgments. Of course time has not slowed down but our reactions etc have speed up (this does make me wonder though if there is a base biological clock used as reference).

Also, really I think time is a human concept. It just is time. We gave it a label and then try to explain it. Like physical dimensions how long is long? Humans like to put things in order, give things length, weight, mass etc.

We created math to help us explain stuff. Nature don't need it......Jebus it don't even need whole numbers.......

Just 2 bob..............................

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrBones666
Don't worry, you probably won't live that long if the powers that be get their way, did you guys realise that an 80% world population decrease is part of the United Nations Statement of Declaration.

WW3 is really just about population control, and then they will enslave the survivors, I love the Banksters!

Dang I was hoping they would eliminate 99% leaving roughly 6 million humans on the planet. But hey Im not worried. As long as they put me in charge of it all there won't be any problems LOL just kidding

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have thought about time speeding up. Given that physics says that time is defined as distance over speed, the time can only be measured by distance to the sun. However, nobody has ever been able to measure, or monitor, the distance to the sun. Therefore, who is to say that a "sink hole" effect is not happening, ie: we are slowly been sucked into the sun. This would explain global warming and the discovery of new planets.

Furthermore, as a constant to time time speeding up, man living longer is another factor to evaluate.

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Ha ,cool ,nice to see this topic here too.A few nights ago I was complaining because nobody was interested in this topic and now it's in all the forums,I love this topic! Yes I agree time does seem to slow down and speed up depending on how much fun or boredom we are experiencing.go check out the science forum for lots of fun in there!

I do think that our mind feels time going faster as we age.As we all are built like a human clock inside and as we get closer to the grave our clock speeds up for some weird reason.Someone said earlier the past present and future is all the same thing,you hit the nail on the head with that bro!

Time is not real!

posted on Apr, 21 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Its not that time is speeding up but creation is speeding up.
Creation is like a spiraling band forming tighter and tighter rings as it gets closer and closer to the center. - Time is collapsing.

I believe gregorian time is a form of control, it does not exist. Their is only the now. no past no future, only now.

Orion_

[edit on 22-4-2007 by Orion_grey]

posted on Apr, 22 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Without light there would be no equation of time.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I agree with some of you, time is not speeding (since time is relative in every way*) but our perception and focus is different than before. I think we are so busy with what we are going to do (doesn't matter if its 5 minutes or 5 hours later) that we lack focus on the present.
Some say it's a skill to change your perception of time (Chronokenesis). I think we all agree on that our (perception of)Time changes/has changed, I think it would be more relevant to find a way to stop it or pervent it (since life is supposed to be fun and not an experience you want to rush through).

*Time doesn't move in a fixed speed or so, it's your perception that makes it relevant, for example, put someone in an empty room and tell him he can come out after an hour, and let someone else do something he really likes for an hour (paintball for example :cool
. The first will tell you the hour lasted for ages, while the other sais it felt like minutes...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Really don't understand all of this but I feel a definate speeding up of time not in the sense of days, weeks or months but a speeding up of something I cannot explain in words. There is a definate "hum" I feel connected too, reverberation if you will. Anyone feeling the same way? Would love to help to understand this.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Ok, have read all of the above, and subscribe to some of it, But, why are all the birds and plants breeding and flowering so much earlier?
Time is relative but irrelevant to our perception of it, as so many rightly say , the second is a man-made reference based on mechanical motion, refined with physics to the vibration of a elemental molecule, but perceived time, IMHO is definately increasing.
I base this(my opinion) on dialogues from old and young communications,and my own (45 yo) experiences.
I achieved more in my youth in a day than I do now even though I am much faster and experienced and have refined my methods.
Tis a quandry.
My 2 cents
OddJob out
Maybe I will register, as OddJob.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by shaimaison

Just ask a child and you will have the answer....

Time and speed are both relative and so in effect; a unit of time to a child of 5 will be x10 larger in proportion to an adult of 50.
Surely this must be similar in other species that have a different lifespan. E.G. a dog is said to experience 7 years to every 1 human year. As such 1 day must seem like a week and 3-4 hours like an entire day...
I have noticed my days, weeks, months, and years seem to pass by much faster than when I was younger. However, when I was younger I had less to compare against and of course much more time on my hands.
Time always seems to pass slower unless the mind is occupied. Try sitting in an empty and bare waiting room with no distractions for a few hours.
In summary time is an illusion and so our perception will be based on what we focus upon as opposed to being 'real'. The unit of time has been created by man and so must take a back seat to what we focus upon in the NOW. As the prophet said "the time is NOW" and now as adults we are full of thoughts and concerns that bubble away in the sub-conscious mind that we were less likely to have had as a child. From a perspective of perception an Empty Mind = slow where a Full mind = fast. No matter what our age our build up over time to a sub-total of all of our thoughts and memories, where the larger the database the more records and transactions occupy our mind rather than our mind being focused upon "time (NOW) " itself.
It is probably as simple as this...but I don't often get "TIME to think..."
C Bosher

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnrout
I have thought about time speeding up. Given that physics says that time is defined as distance over speed, the time can only be measured by distance to the sun. However, nobody has ever been able to measure, or monitor, the distance to the sun.

Why the only distance to the sun? Also we know the distance - it's 93 million miles, roughly.

WRT to this topic, subjectively time speends up as we age, which is unfortunate. However since there is no such thing as an absolute frame of reference, time cannot speed up or slow down objectively.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Knight783

Planetary orbits and rotations aren't the issue, actually the earth is spinning fractionally slower each day but this isn't what the question is getting at. If time were speeding up there would be no scientific way to determine it because measuring devices (cesium, quartz, whatever) would be subject to the increase also. More than anything this is an interesting insight into peoples preconceived notions about the nature of the universe. Maybe time is stranger than our minds can imagine it to be.

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The knight783 guy who the guy who posted just before me referred to was of course the only one who knew what he was talking about. If time was speeding up or slowing down in some global way that affected your brains, then it would affect clocks and eggtimers and pendulums and germinating plants and spinning planets in the same way because your brains are nothing special and thus, anything you might compare your speeding up or slowing down perception to would change in the same way and the conclusion would be that your perception would NOT be speeding up or slowing down. This is precisely why it is known that time slows down as one moves at nearly the speed of light. One particular type of clock - the kind which keeps time by having light reflected back and forth between two mirrors - slows down because it is forced to travel along diagonals at an angle instead of straight left-to-right-to-left-to-right and the light has to travel further - and so ALL clocks slow down as well because if only ONE type of clock slowed down, then you could determine your absolute speed by the differing behavior of two different types of clocks and that's precisely what you can't do if the laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames. There is supposed to BE no preferred reference frame; that's the whole point.

As for perception of time, I don't know about others but my perception of time has changed in the worst possible way with age. But I can do better than most of you. I can give you accurate numerical data, not speculation. Call it a good memory if you want. So when I was 5 years old, I was very good at counting seconds. Accurate to well within 1%. When I used the same standard I had trained myself to when I was 11, I would count to 60, and look at a clock to see that only 55 seconds had passed. Again and again and again I would try this, always 55 seconds would be the result. In other words, I was actually thinking faster at age 11 than 5, or at least perceiving time in such a way as to suggest this. Thus it is not merely an aspect of brain size. It isn't just that the brain of a 5 year old is smaller than that of an adult and thus the signals take less time to cross from one end to the other. At age 19, 70 seconds would pass when I counted to 60. So by then I was slowing down. And now, at age 30, using the same standard, you know how long has passed if I count to 60? 100 seconds! Meaning one second to me now seems like the same amount of time to me as 0.6 second did when I was 5, or 0.55 second when I was 11. (i.e. it sped up a little between 5 and 11 and 11 was a bit like the top of a hill, because it has slowed drastically since) No wonder I thought my voice was at its deepest when I was 12. It's like I'm playing everything at practically 2x speed now! Even at age 19, my mind had only slowed down to 0.7 second against 1.0 second now. Engaging in boring activities doesn't change this. Engaging in stimulating activities doesn't change this. But plot the numbers (5, .6), (11, .55), (19, .7), (30, 1) and you can see a disturbing trend. At the rate it's increasing, by the time I'm 40, possibly as much as 2 seconds will seem like 1 now, which is already way more than it should be in my opinion! It's almost like I'm stuck in that futurama episode "time keeps on slipping". My time slows down and down and down, as if I'm getting close to the speed of light, and I see the universe approaching me speed up and up and up. Is THIS normal with growing old? To THAT extent? Because if it does, then even if I were to live to the age of 90, essentially it would mean that I'm three quarters done with my life already if the last two thirds will seem to take a third as long combined as the first third did. Should I perhaps spend more time jumping off buildings to make my time speed up? Couldn't hurt, right? Well, it could hurt if I don't bend my knees when I land....

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Sandor]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
There is actually a scientific theory that addresses this very issue. The difference here is that the theory suggests that it feels like time is moving faster but only because our perception of time remains fixed and time itself is slowing down.

He believes there is no such thing as dark energy. Instead, he says we have been fooled into thinking the expansion of the universe is accelerating because time itself is slowing down.

At our local everyday level, the change would be imperceptible.

But it would be obvious from cosmic scale measurements tracking the course of the universe over billions of years.

Astronomers work out the speed of the universe’s expansion from the frequency of light emitted by certain types of supernovae, or exploding stars.

However, these measurements depend on our current perception of time, says Prof Senovilla.

If time has been slowing down, and clocks are now running more slowly than they did long ago, it would appear from our perspective as if things have been speeding up. Looking back over billions of years, galaxies would seem to be travelling away from each other faster and faster at various intervals since the Big Bang.

Read more: breakingnews.ie...

breakingnews.ie...

[edit on 25-2-2010 by BlackJackal]

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ahh, now THAT's an interesting thought. In other words, if the speed of light was increasing relative to some standard that existed billions of years ago as well as now, like the resonant frequency of a hydrogen atom relative to its diameter, is that what you mean? Because it's a bit hard to define what it even means for time to speed up or slow down in a global sense, you see. But the funny thing is, that if you attribute "dark energy" to such an effect as that, then the result may very well be the same, that is, two objects placed a certain distance from each other and say, joined by a string, and possessing mass but not enough for their gravity to overpower the antigravity effect of dark energy will put that string under tension. Just like you can define a coordinate system which is rotating and which is actually valid for the entire universe and puts the Earth at the center - if you throw in a centrifugal force term into all the equations for everything. Of course this would be a needlessly complicated coordinate system and you could apply it to anything, not just the Earth, which why the ptolomaic model is dead.

[edit on 25-2-2010 by Sandor]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Falkner
have you ever heard of the "Schuman frequency"? It is appointed by some researchers as the reason why time seems to pass more quickly now, then when we were kids.

You can do some google search on that topic, or under the name "schuman resonance" also, but here is the main idea...

the Earth has, as far as scientists could tell a few years back, a constant frequency, or vibrating signal, just like if it was a "heartbeat". It was overall measured in 7.8 cycles per second. Several global military communication system used it as standard measure. But, somehow, it as recently increased up to 11 cycles.

Some people say, this is the reason we feel time passing each time more quickly. We weren't able to adapt ourselves from the 7.8 cycles per second frequency, to the 11 cycles frequency.

I don't have much more info on this, but I hope to have been of any use.

[edit on 2-4-2006 by Falkner]

Is time speeding up?
I posted that question to Google and got some scary answers. I found out about the Schumann Resonance or as some call it the 'hearthbeat' of the planet and how it has sped up over the last 30 years. If this is right then it is not just a feeling but it is real. I must now wonder if time itself is coming to an end? It will end some day but is that day soon than we think.

www.universolutions.us...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I really have pondered this from time to time as well. There's really no way as of right now to tell if this theory could be true. I know that when you get older time will seem to speed up, and I do definitely recall a time when Christmas came ever 5 millenia, not every year. Do you think by any chance it could have something to do with the Doppler effect? You know, red shift and blue shift? Objects in space moving away from the center...if that's the case I would think that the only option of it would be to slow down. It's a good question, honestly, but it could be age creeping up on us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join