It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time speeding up?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
If you think back to when you were a child, time goes by much slower than as you get older. The explanation for this is our perception of time speeds up with age.

But is it possible that 'time' is actually speeding up?

If it was, each generation would not be able to differrentiate the difference in time that they experience compared to the next generation.

Because we only judge in years and minutes, the only explanation of time is hours and minutes. But what happens if hours and minutes are speeding up?

And is it possible to judge time if it is only being distorted in our region of space, or maybe its posssible it happens everywhere in the universe.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
is this really paranormal??? can't decide, but I like the topic.

I totally agree your first statement regarding our perception of time with age. However it's not just age, but also how active you are, because I know quite a few home bound elderly people and well they tell me have really long days.

How can "time" really speed up, if time is a man made creation used to measure one point of a day to another, unless man is speeding up the time.

Could it be that events, actions, things we do in our daily life are contributing to actual "time", the hours, the minutes which could be speeding up?

I'll ponder this more.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaimaisonBut is it possible that 'time' is actually speeding up?

No, it's called "You're getting old." Welcome! Every person experiences this feeling as he ages.

Think about it, when you're 16 years-old, the age of 8 was half your life ago.....so, 8 years seems like an eternity (at that point in your life because it was half your life). When you're 48, the age of 40 was only 8 years ago, and at 48 that really doesn't seem like it was a long time ago because it was only almost a 1/5 of your lifespan away (not 1/2 like the age 16, 8-year quandry) If you live to be 100, the years from 50 to 100 will seem like they flew by, because the first 50 dragged (you weren't at the halfway point yet). The longer you live the more life speeds up. It's hard to explain but everyone feels this as time goes by. This is a relativity issue. Different for everyone, but yet the same.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
there has been a t.v program on about this and it is still running.

they got young people and old to judge a minute. the older people were usually 6 seconds late whereas the younger people were around 6 seconds fast. it comes down to your perception of time.

i beleive in time not being in minutes and seconds, but like what has already been said, just there to help us point to point. same as dates we use planets to determin dates, without them being there what would be used, how long would be a day? a year? and so on. in a way u could say that time stands still. only mechanics make a watch tick not an invisible force called time.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ive been watching a series of tv programmes called 'Time' or 'what is time' (forgot which one) here in the uk. Each episode looks at different aspects of time and what it is etc... its very in depth and iteresting, ive forgotten what channel its on i think its BBC3. It mentions how when your young youve got all the time in the world to do what you like so time goes slow but when your older and work, you do the same things day in and day out so time flys by real quick etc.. obviously its a lot more in depth that this but you get the point. Im not sure if all episodes have been shown i'll try and find out.. anyone else in the uk been watching this?

edit: Carluk beat me to it

[edit on 23/3/06 by Clarky]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
yeah its called time. the program i have been watching aswell. very indepth program with the chinese guy. very good but made me think alot about what i thought i knew.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotolerance
No, it's called "You're getting old." Welcome! Every person experiences this feeling as he ages.

Yep, this explanation makes a lot of sense.

But even with this perception of time we have. It could still be possible that time is moving faster in the universe.

My basic theory is simaler to what goes on with humans. Our perception of time is faster as we get older.

What I'm emphasizing is also the universe experiences the very same effect.

In the early universe each million years went by slower than the later years. To accept this though, is also to almost believe the universe is a living entity, or that time is controlled by elements in the universe.

Also a thought I had was about passed life expectancies, Life expectancy was much shorter in older days for obvious reasons. Living conditions, quality of life and medicine, etc.

But If 'universe time' is changing, possibly a 30 year life 10, 000 years ago, would be the equvalent of a 40 year old life today.

Mod Edit: Quoting Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Some people believe that the Universe and Humanity's essense is Vibrating at a higher frequency, and as a result time is indeed speeding up, this is part of the whole consciousness shift thing in 2012, someone said that a 24 hour day now, is equivalent to an 18 hour day in the 60's.

I believe it is called "The Quickening."

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
i knew a girl who measured lightyears the way we measure seconds. and she also told me that there is no such thing as time so time cant speed up. she said it can all can be seen from the beginning to the end. she said she was there at the beginning and will be there at the end. its all now.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
When I was a kid, summer vacation seemed to last forever.
Now, I notice the older I get, my perception of times is speeding up. The days and weeks go so fast it almost dizzies me sometimes. Everytime I turn around, it's Monday

How fast will it seem when I am really old

Like in my sixties and seventies.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Don't worry, you probably won't live that long if the powers that be get their way, did you guys realise that an 80% world population decrease is part of the United Nations Statement of Declaration.

WW3 is really just about population control, and then they will enslave the survivors, I love the Banksters!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Time is a man-made illusion. There is really no such thing in nature. We just invented it to keep track. If your definition of time is what the clock says, then no. There was 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour when you were born, and it will be that way when you die. But this doesn't mean there is really such thing as an hour or minute in nature.

However, NATURAL "Time" does change. Ie. Long days in the summer vs it gets dark much sooner in the winter. If the position and distance of the Earth relative to the sun changes, then the days will lengthen or shorten in length.

As for PERCIEVED time, as someone has already stated, yes it does seem to speed up. I noticed the same thing. Although I do have moments where everything seems to come to a standstill, especially when I'm in a real slump.

Time is really a subjective and complex topic. It really is a fourth dimension on it's own. We still don't know everything about it. For example, if you go out into space and you lived on the moon for a year and you came back, much more than just a year would have passed on Earth. Even if you are using regular Earth clocks, etc. Or so I've heard.

The past, present, and future are all taking place within the same moment.

Something to think about...

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaimaison

If you think back to when you were a child, time goes by much slower than as you get older. The explanation for this is our perception of time speeds up with age.

But is it possible that 'time' is actually speeding up?

If it was, each generation would not be able to differrentiate the difference in time that they experience compared to the next generation.

Because we only judge in years and minutes, the only explanation of time is hours and minutes. But what happens if hours and minutes are speeding up?

And is it possible to judge time if it is only being distorted in our region of space, or maybe its posssible it happens everywhere in the universe.

hey, maybe the years now are only speeding up, just a phase in the process, like, do you know if in your previous life this was the same? might be that just nowadays this happens to be so, for every one of us. young or old. just an open view.

I don't think clocktime can truly speed up, it lies only in your perception of the self.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I think this is somehow connected

"Are you feeling the Quickening?
The Shift of the Ages has already begun!"

www.2012.com.au...

is it the SHUMANN RESONANCE ? clik the
shumann resonance link , scroll down ,
you'll see it blinking
------------------------------------------------

" The planet is going through a Collective Initiation
as frequency increases. Initiates in the ancient civilizations

throughout the planet were placed in chambers
to bring them to a place of Zero Point Magnetics

wherein they could experience and prepare for
what the world will go through around 2012.

These initiations have always existed. It is written
in many ancient texts - including the Dead Sea Scrolls

- brought forth now for those who would
awaken and come into greater understanding
of the changes affecting us on every level. "

------------------------------------

Too much hocus pocus for you ?...I think they're
onto something here

www.crystalinks.com...

Well ,the frequency HAS CHANGED
and is STILL CHANGING,
and it is MY OPINION
that it is changing what we can see as well
I suppose only time will tell

-----------------------------------------
about the ratio of experience to time thing

to put it another way

imagine each year of your life on a pie chart

each succeeding year would add another line

and make each slice of pie smaller

at 3yo 1/3rd of your life is a year !

so at 30yo a year is only 1/30th of a slice

quite a bit smaller

and so on...

[edit on 26-3-2006 by toasted]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
the one thing i always find really weird, is that some days, or weeks, just SEEM to go slow, or fast.....but whats weird is that whenever i mention it to someone else, either friends or my kids...they agree.
Has anyone else had this happen?
You would think that maybe because you had a boring week/busy week, then for YOU, it would go slow/fast....but whenever i get that feeling (like this week that just passed, seemed to fly by).....other people get the same feeling too.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
geek

I think you are

confusing

social norms with perception

most times , people don't

have time to tell you

that time is flying

so, they're polite

and just agree...

eh ?

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I dont think the poster of the thread has the right concept of 'time'. Hours and mins etc are simply a human invention, it is an idea we created to actualise the rotations our planet makes around the sun. Whilst time is measured on earth, it can never change, speed up etc. The only way it could would be if we lived on another planet, where the rotation around the sun was different, thus days would be longer or shorter. The only way our minutes and hours would change is if the earth slowed in rotation.

Interesting thoughts though.
. I think our idea of time in our own minds speeds up as we get older, a natural human reaction to nearing death (cheerful eh!)

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knight783
. Whilst time is measured on earth, it can never change, speed up etc. The only way it could would be if we lived on another planet, where the rotation around the sun was different, thus days would be longer or shorter.

What if gravitational forces changed the rate at which time flows?

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
No mate, its not the gravity that dictates time, at least not in the human mind. Time in our minds is based on seasons and daylight hours, i.e a day is a spin of the earth, a yr is a rotation around the sun. The further you are away from the sun the longer it takes to rotate around it, meaning more daylight hours, longer seasons, and thus 'slower' time. I do agree with you that perception of time speeds up as we get older.

posted on Mar, 28 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
But your moving into interesting territory there, the whole link between different gravitational forces and possible other dimensions is one definatley worth exploring.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join