It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 20 Years How Good Will Video Game Graphics Be?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Start my own? I was continuing "your" angle

"What they need to do is find a non-invasive way of manipulating dreams"

and

"we just need to find a way to stimulate and manipulate these brain waves patterns(as well as reconize and decode them, not exactly an easy process)."

The gist of what I said was basically that it already exists.

merger

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I thought every brain works differently... oh well, anyway, graphics will be awesome of course but will we really be able to reach outside of the screen medium??? Doubt it.

I just see games looking better and better but being less and less fun and much shorter in play time than they used to be. BTW I like the revolution controller idea, finally something different.

B. Sage

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
About some gamers going hyper when fraggin', I can vouch for that, when I'm playing FPS, I can't hear anything but the game and my mind is 100% focused on the kill.

Scary eh?

VR would be even better, I wouldn't want to come back to reality!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well, I think that the graphics are pretty good now, with the systems I play (PS2 & PC) have good graphics (for their time) and I think it will improve alot. Let me take you back, to a time when there was a Nintendo 64... ahh yes I know, so far back. Those graphics, they were amazing to us "then" and now their as horrible as a wet paper bag. Nobody wants part of it anymore, well... so be it with the current systems. It will be similar, when the ps2 and xbox came along, ppl throw down contollers of the original playstation and dream cast and N64 to play the new and the better, because it was so real. I think the change will be just as dramatic. However, there is one thing I particularly want to see for myself... thats a CIRCLE! not a hexagon, or a pentagon, if its supposed to be a circle, its not supposed to have straight lines in it! lol, thats one thing that makes me mad about video games. And things like when its snowing outside... your player breathes, and theres no visual effect to show his breathing, no smoke, no fog, no gas, no anything... things like shadows, when the character is standing still (wind is blowing) some games the clothes and hair on him moves and so does the shadow...thats good graphics, but sometimes, it doesnt move at all and thats bad, so theres alot of stuff to work on yeah, but I don't know if they can improve so many flaws in such a time... but hey you never know what the next day holds in store for us. Hopefully, some Grand Theft Auto on Virtual Reality, that would be beasty.

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well first of all, the jump from PS1 and N64 to Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube was pretty big, graphics wise. But I don't think that the jump from Xbox to the 360 was that big. I mean besides hi-def it's not that great of a jump. However, the games that came out first on Xbox compared to newer stuff on the Xbox are alot better so I imagine that the 360 will get better looking games soon. Also the 360 is the first of the next-gen so it may get alot better with the newer systems.

But also think of what the newer games will be like in terms of size. Oblivion is huge! Imagine playing a GTA where it will take an hour or a few just to drive through one island. That and the amount of things you can do.

I can't wait!

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
By that time, virtual reality gaming will hopefully be somewhat commonplace. I know that AT LEAST Sony has been trying to develop virtual reality gaming that is ACTUALLY virtual reality gaming and not those cheap 3D Simulators that you see at the mall for many years. Hopefully in 20 years, preliminary stages of this type of gaming will be past, and the technology will begin to be advanced. I don't see much life in console games in 20 years though. Computers are becoming too powerful on their own, and some of the new handhelds have graphics that could tear apart last-gen systems.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
As far as graphics outside of virtual reality go - I'd have to say graphics can only go so far; they are going to get to a point where new TVs will be needed (better than plasma) to really improve the video quality. It's already evident that CRT Tube TVs will be obsolete soon. They aren't at the moment because I still believe that they most accurately display images at the moment. However, if you play XBOX 360 on a CRT TV, in comparison with a high quality LCD or plasma, then I think you are already missing out on its power. The difference is astounding in my opinion. Same deal with computers; CRT monitors seem to pale in comparison to LCDs IMO. However, plasmas aren't very 'perfected' for computer-gaming at the moment, IMO as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I for one think gfx are never going to stop getting better, this latest game engine from Crytek shows theres always room for improvement,check out these kick ass video's if you dont belive me.

media.putfile.com...

downloads.guru3d.com...

Prepair to be blown away.

Edit - Btw this game is running on DirectX 10 which is in the works

[edit on 25-4-2006 by Merkeva]

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I dont like the wireless thing going on with the 360, personally. I like lying on the couch on cold days, covered in blankets, with the controller nestled away somewhere and layers and layers of wool. I will not be able to do this with an Xbox 360.

Controller in Port 1 does not have a line of sight link with your Xbox's IR reciever. Please hold controller up so that your Xbox can establish a link.

I'll miss the old "replug cord" message!!!

On the other note, virtual realtity is the way to go. Imagine Splinter Cell in VR!!! Yeah, or at least sunglasses that display real-world like graphics, with gloves and perhaps mind control. Think 'Firefox' . . .

I can close my door go out of my room 10 meters away no line of sight and my xbox 360 controller still works

posted on Jun, 6 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Graphics can only be as good as our brain can realise. Our eyes can only pick up so much detail, and our brain can only process so much. If there is too much going on, or colours we can't detect, then it's pointless. You also have to consider the medium in which the information is displayed. 20 years ago, Displaying a ps3 or an xbox 360 on a television screen wouldn't work to well. Computer screens have come along way too.
They have animations on the net that are about 10-20 seconds long that display animations that look like real video's. We just don't have the processing power yet to incorporate those kinds of shaders and polygon counts into a real time interactive environment.

The Myst series blew me away in terms of graphics. I have yet to see a game like Riven. I think Myst III had some good graphics as well. We need more adventure games like that. It's a dying genre.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join