It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In 20 Years How Good Will Video Game Graphics Be?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It has been about 20 years since the first Nintendo system came out. Since then Nintendo came out with three more systems and one more coming out this year, two Playstation sytems with another coming out this year, and two XBox system. Since the first video game system untill the ones we have now you can see a huge huge improvement in the graphics. So my question is in another 15 - 20 years how much more of an improvement will there be? My guess is characters in a game will most likely look really real
. And with everything getting smaller how small will the systems be. So how much better will the graphics be in 15 - 20 years?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
First just imagine 5 yrs.

2001 graphics hella suck compared to 2006

and you forgot the other pioneers who did cool stuff before nintendo could even think.

3DO

they owned so hard for a while but bad marketing and idiot at the top caused it to die horridly but imo they are responsible for a leap in graphics.

and the PSP is a PS2 that fits in your hand.

15-20 yrs? I'm hoping by then it'd be AR/VR

Whatever happened to Holograms? I remember arcade machines in the early 90s that had hologram projection going on...

Also I think gaming chrs already look realistic. High Dynamic Lighting on the source enging is WICKED!

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
He he, I'm hoping that in 20 years we won't have console gaming, we will have games on a minicomputer on your back that play on a pair of glasses with the controls being in the gloves you wear (okay VR, but you can do it on the run!)

Either that...or a holodeck would be nice....

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My theory is that in twenty years we'll just plug these things into our heads and our brains will create graphics to our own liking. But that's just my theory.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I really cannot even see how they can get much better. There practically as real as can be now.

If you ask me, the only further advancements would be in -how- you play the game. =P

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I really cannot even see how they can get much better. There practically as real as can be now.

If you ask me, the only further advancements would be in -how- you play the game. =P

I just hope that this...

Is not an "advancement".

Please if they are going to change the way we play video games, go to a full body suit or something....

Personally, I like the wireless advancement like the XBox 360...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Well like it was said with the current # of dimesions hey simply can only improve so much more. My guess will be that we'll see holograph and VR systems.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Graphics would be god like

Holograms would be to fuzzy
and holograms i reckon would be used for mid city marketing etc...

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I don't think they need to get any batter really, Oblivion is perfect, pop-ups annoying, but the graphics are realistic enough for my liking.

I play games to get away from the real world (and pwn n00bs) so I don't want the graphics to be 100% real.

Think Mario, great graphics that actually can't get any better.

VR would be pwnage though.

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I dont like the wireless thing going on with the 360, personally. I like lying on the couch on cold days, covered in blankets, with the controller nestled away somewhere and layers and layers of wool. I will not be able to do this with an Xbox 360.

Controller in Port 1 does not have a line of sight link with your Xbox's IR reciever. Please hold controller up so that your Xbox can establish a link.

I'll miss the old "replug cord" message!!!

On the other note, virtual realtity is the way to go. Imagine Splinter Cell in VR!!! Yeah, or at least sunglasses that display real-world like graphics, with gloves and perhaps mind control. Think 'Firefox' . . .

posted on Apr, 1 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I can play my wireless 360 controller fine under some covers, not too many mind!

Still, the amount of heat the darn thing gives off, you'll never be cold again!

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I bet in about 20 years time... we'll have "plug in and play" games... i.e, plug the sucker into your brain, et voila! Quite scary really.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88
I bet in about 20 years time... we'll have "plug in and play" games... i.e, plug the sucker into your brain, et voila! Quite scary really.

i hope your right cause in 20 yrs i'll probably be too gimped out to use a controller.

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xeroxed88

I bet when that happens we'll invision graphics to our own liking, to suit the gamer's personality or mood. For example; If a person was depressed things would be dark, gritty and look like Silent Hill 2. But a person in a happy mood would see things almost cell-shaded.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Another question this brings up is if games do reach a visual level near 100% realistic and the game world is projected or takes place in the mind of the player, will we have problems with people accepting the game as their reality and not the real world? I mean look at what mmorpgs like Wow and Everquest, will people become addicted and reject the real world.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
It will become almost like our own Matrix...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Not sure about graphics of games, what I do know though, is that extreme gamers of quake like games, show signs of extreme hyperactivity...their brains go 100 miles an hour, and the speak really really fast. Their reflexes have skyrocketed and concentration on one particular area is really high too.

Basically I see this form of gaming to be a way for the military to train its soldiers.... What better way to do it in a 'virtual' world rather than a real one, no real bullets etc...

These soldiers will be have superhuman thinking capabilities. The effects of death and blood will be removed due to the conditioning of the games. The perfect soldier per say. Wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this right now.

However keyboard and mouse may be limited for some, so perhaps already some form of glove, goggles to not be distracted by peripheral vision. Using strategic games for logical/strategic thinking, and 1st person shoot em up for reflex and increase speed of thinking.

Combination of both types of games, will allow for quick logical/strategic advancement whilst also the reflex and increase thought occurs..

Graphics mind you, would be interesting to have some sort of 'mask' that the player puts on, it connects to certain musles in the face, when you show expressions, the game duplicates that in the character played...other players can see the facial expressions. Microphone would work the same as communicating in real life, if the player is far away from you in the game, they cannot hear you. If they are close..crystal clear communication. Then again, if you have a walkie talkie in the game, the other team members can hear you clearly to a certain distance. If there is no response, then you know that they are out of range, another strategic thing to think about.

Laws of physics will be improved too, I think there is a chip being designed or is already designed to allow for physic mathematics to work in games identical to real life. Rules of gravity, action/reaction scenarious etc...

World of gaming is going to increase immensely, Just make sure you take some time out and get to the real world

Merger

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
In 20 years Graphics will be better than real life. How can they be better you say? Well can pigs fly in real life? They can in a video game and in 20 years a flying pig will look so believably realistic you'll start having nightmares.

BTW I doubt we'll have fully interactive "plug-'n-brain" games in 20 years. Such a system would require massive surgury which I doubt many people will be willing to partake in just a short amount of time. Okay maybe if you're a quadrapaligic or Stephen Hawking you might be slightly interested in this avenue. What they need to do is find a non-invasive way of manipulating dreams. We can do that on our own with great difficulty most of the time, we just need to find a way to stimulate and manipulate these brain waves patterns(as well as reconize and decode them, not exactly an easy process).

[edit on 10-4-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sardion, some would say (including me) dream manipulation-reading of brainwaves is already a reality. ELF at a range of 6 to 8 hertz can be amplified to over-ride the brainwave activity of the brain...inducing a takeover of thought.

This can have many side effects whilst awake - including hearing voices, thoughts that seem "un-natural" or seem external, feeling nausea or dizzy or lightheaded, feeling a pulse over the skull area. These are to the people who are not categorically diagnosed as schizophrenics but your average joe blogs.

In sleep state, the dreams are vivid, semi-lucid, bright colours, responsive, symbolism involved etc...basically the dreams are controlled through a program (yes-no responses) and the dream acts out that part of the program.

Brainwave activity can be recorded too (as the e-meter for scientology purporses) heightened sense of anxiety increases energy throughout the body, meaning that energy released through thinking can be recorded. Simply identify the thoughts with the energy released, and you can decode the thoughts of someone by the energy readouts. Every thought emits some energy. Including visualisations, and even words in your head.

It is totally possible to hook up a computer to the energy thoughts of the brain, to get detailed information of what the person is hearing, seeing, thinking, visualising, smelling, tasting etc...

merger

[edit on 4/10/06 by Merger]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Not really the topic of this BTS thread so I am steering clear of the conspiracy angle for this thread okay? Start your own.

[edit on 11-4-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join