It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Cry for big picture for constructure

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I really hope to know how the Sea Sparrow be launched in that box I circled in picture. If you know its constructure please tell me, it is better to with cutaway. I also really interested in these class destroyer, so if you have some big photos please give me some links. thanks



[edit on 22-3-2006 by emile]




posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
hey emile,

looks like the HMCS Iroquois (DDH 280) one of a class of 4 Tribal destroyers(class), it is based in Halifax Nova scotia.

your pictures are pre Tribal Class Update and Modernization Program in the which happend in the 90's, after that it was equiped with the Standard surface-to-air missiles,
Mk.41 vertical launch system, in order to give it a better Air defence capability.that is mounted just in the deck forward of the main gun.

Like here.(we see the same class of ship post (TRUMP)
picture is from www.sfu.ca...
en.wikipedia.org...

Any way to your question ,When equiped with the Sea sparrow (pre TRUMP update) rail launchers in the original design were housed inside an enclosure, and only exposed to the outside just before firing. they were quad launchers , and I don't think that any other vessel ever used this configuration. (at least at the time) sorry a picture of the launcher i can't find but nice sites on tribal class destroyer below with lots of pics.

www.hazegray.org...
post.queensu.ca...
www.jproc.ca...
www.hmcsnavyships.com...
www.fortunecity.com...
www.fortunecity.com...



posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Thanks for your reply.
I just wonder why this Sparrow Launcher fixed on Iroquois Class is immovable and even use enclosure to house it. So special I have never seen such equipment on others.



posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Like I say , it does sound unique emile , maybe , it has to do with protecting the system from salt water / the enviroment .just a guess.



posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I believe that is actually a box torpedo launcher, not a Sea Sparrow launcher. According to the weapons list for the Tribal class, they don't have Sea Sparrows. They have Vertical Launch Systems with the SM-2, a 76mm deck gun, Six 324mm MK 32 on two triple tubes launching Honeywell MK 46 MOD5 anti submarine active/passive homing torpedoes. Torpedoes can alternately be launched by helicopter , and CIWS.

The Sea Sparrow is a very distinctive box launcher. This is the Sea Sparrow launcher.




posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Thats correct Zaph , the Tribals are equipped with the Mk.41 vertical launch system , at the moment. but that was fitted after an update , originoly they were fitted with retractable quadrouple sea sparrow launchers .

And the nature of theese launchers are what Emile was questioning , note the differance beetween my picture in the first post i made which is of a tribal class destroyer post upgrade and Emiles pictures, which were taken whilst the sea sparrows were still fitted , you can make out a new main gun , a 76mm otomat and the new vls .



posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by emile
I really hope to know how the Sea Sparrow be launched in that box I circled in picture. If you know its constructure please tell me, it is better to with cutaway. I also really interested in these class destroyer, so if you have some big photos please give me some links. thanks






[edit on 22-3-2006 by emile]
That not a HMCS Iroquois (DDH 280) one of a class of 4 Tribal destroyers(class), it is based in Halifax Nova scotia.



posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by youngiceman87

That not a HMCS Iroquois (DDH 280) one of a class of 4 Tribal destroyers(class), it is based in Halifax Nova scotia.


WTF are you on about ?

Your not making any sense atall ,are you saying that the picture is not of HMCS Iroquois? explain



posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
It sounds like the dude copied and pasted what you posted and just put "That not" in front.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Shattered OUT...



posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by youngiceman87
That not a HMCS Iroquois (DDH 280) one of a class of 4 Tribal destroyers(class), it is based in Halifax Nova scotia.

This is the Halifax my friend




posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
He wasn't saying it was a Halifax. Halifax is a CITY in Canada.

And that CAN'T be the Sea Saprrow, because when they HAD Sea Sparrow it was two four missile boxes. That's six in the picture..

[edit on 3/26/2006 by Zaphod58]



posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
He wasn't saying it was a Halifax. Halifax is a CITY in Canada.

And that CAN'T be the Sea Saprrow, because when they HAD Sea Sparrow it was two four missile boxes. That's six in the picture..

[edit on 3/26/2006 by Zaphod58]


Yes it is! , this is a picture from www.hazegray.org... showing HMCS Iroqouis making a hard turn to port and firing a sea sparrow from her launcher .






posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Explain to me how 2 four tube missile launchers can suddenly become one 6 tube missile launcher. I'm really curious about that.


Two quadruple Sea Sparrow
surface-to-air missile launchers
(P&S) semi-active radar homing to 9 miles;
32 missiles carried; 1-4in illumination rocket launcher; 2 Corvus chaff
rocket launchers; 2 Sea King helicopters.

post.queensu.ca...



posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Explain to me how 2 four tube missile launchers can suddenly become one 6 tube missile launcher. I'm really curious about that.


Two quadruple Sea Sparrow
surface-to-air missile launchers
(P&S) semi-active radar homing to 9 miles;
32 missiles carried; 1-4in illumination rocket launcher; 2 Corvus chaff
rocket launchers; 2 Sea King helicopters.

post.queensu.ca...


Where has any one said any thing about a 6 rail launcher? im confused



posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If you look at the box on the front of the ship, it has six doors. The Sparrows only had four missiles.



posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
If you look at the box on the front of the ship, it has six doors. The Sparrows only had four missiles.


I don't think that they are doors, other wise the missiles would be fired horizontaly, i believe it is all part of one cover that swings down, so the launcher would point like this .




Ok the red line is the cover, the blue line is the recess where the launcher is stored, the black line s are the launcher and the green arrow represents the missile. the launcher probably would not swing down so low and would im guessing fire at more of an angle like this / but you get the picture



new topics

top topics



 
0

log in

join