It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cockpit competition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Except F-22 and F-35, which cockpit adopted on fighter aircraft in this world is most advanced? Why?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Eurofighter typhoon has voice control. tough to beat that.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by planeman

Voice control sounds cool, but wouldn't it be difficult to use while pulling high G's and doing special breathing techniques?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I would imagine the cockpit of the Su-47 AKA "Berkut or Golden Eagle" was pretty advanced. I know of no photographs ever being published of its cockpit though, It was really just a testbed anyway.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

Voice control sounds cool, but wouldn't it be difficult to use while pulling high G's and doing special breathing techniques?

It´s more like cuewords the pilots use, not detailed instructions. Furthermore, prior to flying the pilots have to use a computer program for hours that analyzes their voice patterns with and without the breathing gear, I´d guess they also factor stress and g-Forces into this; additionally all functions can also be operated manually.

And lastly, the (german) Typhoon pilots wear the currently most advanced High-G pressure suit which is notably more effective and comfortable than the previous ones (according to the pilots).

Originally posted by emile
Except F-22 and F-35, which cockpit adopted on fighter aircraft in this world is most advanced? Why?

A380.

[edit on 23/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
wasnt the suit developed specifically for the eurofighter. I seem to remember it also has inflaitable inserts into the boots

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:05 AM
link   

New info for me... but I agree, it can't be a good system... Too complicated...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN

? It significantly reduces pilot workload and allows them to be looking outside the cockpit more. it's the way forward and many future cockpits are likely to copy it.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Nothing beats thought control baby!!

And while I was earching to to stea....borrow images, I found this great site if you like Firfox stuff:

thinkinrussian.org...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Cant be good system, too complicated? For comparison, I recently played a PC game that featured about 30 different voice commands, they worked flawlessly - and that was a free giveaway game on a magazine and played on my 5 years old office PC - I have no doubts that a 60 Million € Fighter and its computers + software could be just SLIGHTLY more capable in handling this sort of voice control

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
wasnt the suit developed specifically for the eurofighter. I seem to remember it also has inflaitable inserts into the boots

No, there was a conventional pressure suit developed for the EF. This one was already advanced because it had an integral cooling vest and air cushions not only the legs, but also around the Torso, in the boots as you described and even in the SOCKS

The German-Swiss "LIBELLE G-Multiplus" however works with fluids and not air pressure. The funny thing is that this suit works completely without any pressurization, it has no connection to the airplane, no sensors, virtually no obvious self-sustained functions. You can put it on, jump into any aircraft out there, fasten the seatbelt and it WORKS completely autonomous. So despite the suit being slightly heavier, in the end the whole system is lighter because no additional equipment is needed vs. the air pressure suits. Apparently the RAF And USAF are very interested into the thing, too.

Its working principle is the simple dynamic of the blood-like fluid (less than 3 liters in the suit BTW - the first prototypes had 28 liters...). It is not explained in detail (for obvious reasons), but I guess it works because the fluid acts exactly like the blood in the organism - with a high positive G-force the blood in the organism drops to the legs, but the fluid in the suit does as well - increasing the outer pressure on the limbs instantly and thoroughly, and not with the usual delay until the air cushions of conventional suits have inflated, and unlike those the LIBELLE suit also covers the arms. It´s only downfall is that it has to be tailor-made with a good fit to work - the pilots better stick to their diet and fitness plans...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Talking of cool cockpit design, this is Thales' head-up-display (HUD) for the Airbus A380.... it comes down from the ceiling and is adjustable height...

[edit on 23-3-2006 by planeman]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Who is "bitching betty"?
I know a lil' bit about here w.r.t. typhoon but ppl here might know more.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Cant be good system, too complicated? For comparison, I recently played a PC game that featured about 30 different voice commands, they worked flawlessly - and that was a free giveaway game on a magazine and played on my 5 years old office PC - I have no doubts that a 60 Million € Fighter and its computers + software could be just SLIGHTLY more capable in handling this sort of voice control

You can't honestly tell me that you base your opinion on a computegame...?? Sure they are nice and all... But you can't compare that with a real situation...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I think this qualify as the most advanced cockpit out there...
Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Here are more Images...

www.newairplane.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The 787 doesn´t exist yet. If future cockpits are allowed, undoubtly the Starship Enterprise would be the winner

You can't honestly tell me that you base your opinion on a computegame...?? Sure they are nice and all... But you can't compare that with a real situation...

Then tell me what your opinion is based on? You categorically said that it "can´t be a good system" and would be "too complicated", but you also admit that you "never heard of it before. So what makes your opinion more valid than mine? I´ve heard and read enough statements of Typhoon pilots that are very pleased by the intuitive and controls INCLUDING the stress load reducing voice command system.

If we are discussing the issue wether voice commanding is a technically sound addition or not, it is very well a good argument to say that a BUDGET computer game, not even a top-line product when it was new, already can handle voice commands satisfactingly.

I never said that the Typhoon itself is comparable to a computer game.

[edit on 25/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I wonder if that voice control on Eurofighter is not satisfied so much in practice, is there some backup being?
That unitary Widescreen used in F-35 cockpit is more wonderful.
All view in F-35 just look like play electri-game.

[edit on 25-3-2006 by emile]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
the voice control and the fluid G-suit sound like a winning combo... I'll take a system that will respond to terse one word commands over a widescreen display any day. After all we are comparing jet fighters where situational awareness is king and not having to consult onboard displays when the poop hits the air distribution apparatus is the difference between life and death.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Then tell me what your opinion is based on? You categorically said that it "can´t be a good system" and would be "too complicated", but you also admit that you "never heard of it before. So what makes your opinion more valid than mine? I´ve heard and read enough statements of Typhoon pilots that are very pleased by the intuitive and controls INCLUDING the stress load reducing voice command system.

If we are discussing the issue wether voice commanding is a technically sound addition or not, it is very well a good argument to say that a BUDGET computer game, not even a top-line product when it was new, already can handle voice commands satisfactingly.

I never said that the Typhoon itself is comparable to a computer game.

[edit on 25/3/2006 by Lonestar24]

I have no wish to debate with you... What I'am trying to say here is that a voice command system is complicated enough... The same things could be done without it... The more we trust in a machine, the worse the situation will be if something happends... yes, the pilots clame that the system is very good... but have they been in an actual war-scenario yet...?? NO, they haven't... And maybe you are right, I can't proove my point in any way... But that's why I call it my opinion... Wich means I can say anything without haveing to proove it... believe me, I've seen "fallproof" systems, and they often don't work the way as they should... However there are exeptions... I just don't think that the fighter industries is ready for this yet... That's all...

And yes I agree, a 60 million $ plane can handle that system better... I just can't figure out why that system is put in the plane in the first place...

BTW, yes the Enterprise would win... I agree with you in that ...

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   

The more we trust in a machine, the worse the situation will be if something happends...

Thats a stupid thing to say since all modern fighter jets are totally dependant on a computer for stability. If "something" happened then forget about your voice controls, and forget about having any control over your plane too!

-George

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
I wonder if that voice control on Eurofighter is not satisfied so much in practice, is there some backup being?

Just to sum the whole thing up:
The voice control is mainly used to steer the cockpit controls. A critical actions have to be done manually (critical like firing weapons, adjusting thrust, lowering the landing gear etc...). The VC can mainly be used to jump through various modes of the three MF displays and also to manage the navigational and radio system, cockpit lights, stuff like that. All this can of course also be done by hand, looking at a Typhoon cockpit you can see that there are just as many switches and buttons as is in any other contemporary fighter.

The VC proved so convenient and effective (the hands stay on stick and throttle even for uncommon controls, the eyes are not needed to select the right menu/option/display/whatever - specifically under combat stress) that the initial ~100 voice activated functions were increased to nearly 200. It works well already with the improved Typhoon air pressure suit, and speaking is even easier with the LIBELLE suit.

That unitary Widescreen used in F-35 cockpit is more wonderful.

www.jsf.mil...
All view in F-35 just look like play electri-game.

I agree that it looks great, especially for a ground attack plane. I however see 2 problems: compared with a regular cockpit the view seems pretty limited; and it doesnt seem to be a redundant system.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join