It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic the Gathering

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Its not a video game so think it goes here. Well it is, but I am talking about the card game.

Anyone remember this? Before Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh and whoever else stole the idea? But when it wasn't "Yellow Rat shocks your purple dog" there was MTG by Wizards of the Coast. Sliver decks, Goblin decks, Merfolk decks, or my favorite the Squirrel deck. So many options, and so many styles and rules! First Strike, Trample, Walks, different abilities, dealing with Mana and which cards to put out first, this game made you think! it was hands on, and you had to play with others. A lot better then most video games today.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
A very powerful card.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Whoa cool! How'd you do that? My fave card is the Sliver Queen, the key piece to my SLiver Deck.

[edit on 22-3-2006 by DevinS]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Another fake card, how!? Cool though, but that would suck at a Tourny, anyone who actually plays? What kind of deck, defense or offense, or like to use magic spells instead of creatures?

My favorite was my Squirrel Deck since it humiliates the opponet, but my most powerful/winning deck is my Sliver Deck. Although with my red deck I use lots of shocks, lightining bolts, flame wave, so forth.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
My favorite card:

...along with a few of the multi-coloured dragons.

I think we were all addicted to that game back in college during the mid 90's. Also Star Wars CCG and I got a few people into the Rage CCG because I love werewolves. Ah, the memories!

[edit on 23-3-2006 by Jonna]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I like the white weenie horde decks. hard to stop and with a few swords to plowshares it was hard to beat. Goblin decks were cool too, with goblin grenades,lol. Ahh the good old days. BTW is anyone still playing this game? I miss mechwarrior stuff too. I remember playing a game called GamaWorld and Villians and Vigilantes too. Man I miss the old days of not worring if we are going to get blown up and if the aliens are controlling the governments of the world!! I want my youth back!!!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Don't make me pull this card out...

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
my fave card would have to be either thunder dragon:red 5/5 flying or
force of nature:green 8/8 maby even giant orgg:red 6/6

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Colossus of Sardia 9/9.. still wish I kept that one after selling my collection. And who remembers Leviathan? 11/11 wasn't it?

Anyways yeah, MtG beats anything that came after... Just too bad it's occult as hell, so I don't play anymore.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Also in my SLiver Deck, he helps the Queen kick butt. Also got a Horror, black 7/7, very strong, but the upkeep sucks.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
while I always thought card games were for dorks...

I will say Magic the gathering has the most uber cards.

I always see ppl in the student lounge playing yugioh... WTF

bring back the evil monstars!

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ah yes.. Still have a few cards lying around. My blue deck was invincible!

I think my favorite was teh Mahamotti Djinn. Spend sooo much time getting 4 of them.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Blue sucks! Go Green! And Black, and Red, and White. I could never play a blue deck, not sure why.

But once again, my Sliver Deck conquers all, played in a friendly tourny, beat a black death deck, white life deck, red goblin red spell, and green beast deck. Went Undefeated! Go Slivers, these, and past ones shown, are in it.

It won't let me post the rest! Man, my deck is so ultimate, never played in a big league tourny though, just small local ones.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by DevinS]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Double Post

[edit on 23-3-2006 by DevinS]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by phiniks
Colossus of Sardia 9/9.. still wish I kept that one after selling my collection. And who remembers Leviathan? 11/11 wasn't it?

Anyways yeah, MtG beats anything that came after... Just too bad it's occult as hell, so I don't play anymore.

Leviathan was a 13/13 blue i think

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
i used to play the hell out of some Magic, back in high school. i had a blue/white lockdown deck that was probably worth more than my computer at the time.

Mirari + Denying Wind + lots and lots of mana = gg.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I used to play this game fairly seriously until all my buddies quit playing, one by one. My best deck was a black necro with a bit of white (disenchants, swords to plowshares, balance) to help out in the areas black is weak in.

I just wish I'd started playing a year or two earlier than I had, then I would have some of the really valuable cards... I would love to have a set of moxes, hehe. My favourite card of all time, though, has got to be Ancestral Recall. One blue mana to draw 3 cards... can't beat that!

Here's four of my favourite cards from each color: (colors also in order of my favourite)

Blue:
Ancestral Recall
Time Walk
Mana Drain
Morphling (I own this one)

Black
Mind Twist (own this one)
Demonic Tutor (own this one)
Hymn to Tourach (own this one)
Juzam Djinn

White
Balance (own this one)
Swords to Plowshares (own this one)
Disenchant (own this one)
Moat

Green
Regrowth (own it)
Fastbond (own it)
Berserk
Erhnam Djinn (own it)

Red
Wheel of Fortune (own this one)
Fork (own this one)
Lightning Bolt (own it)
Burning Wish

Artifact:
all the moxes
Black Lotus
Sol Ring (own it)
Zuran Orb (own it)

Land
Library of Alexandria
all the dual lands (the real ones, from Alpha/Beta/Unlimited/Revised, like Scrubland, Tundra, etc, not the BS that came later that did damage, came into play tapped, and other suckified things) (own most of them)
Strip Mine (own it)
Wasteland (own it)

Multicolor:
Vindicate
Stormbind (own it)
-can't think of two more, since I rarely used multicolor cards due to their general suckiness and difficulty to play quickly

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The most annoying deck of all time was this guy who had 4 Shahrazad (sp?) 4 Fork, and Mirari, plus lots of recursion and crap...
He made it only to piss people off, hehe.

"So, what subgame number are we on, now? I've lost count..."

Another annoying deck was using the old ante rules. You played with 56 Swamps and 4 Darkpact. Most of the time you would ante a swamp. If you anted a darkpact, you would use another darkpact to get it back. Cast a darkpact to take whatever the opponent's ante was. You were guaranteed to lose the game, but would "steal" one of your opponents cards and give him/her two swamps for it.

Another annoying deck using the old ante rules, specially designed for multiplayer games, had 1 Black Lotus, 1 Channel, 1 Hurricane, 1 Forest, 1 Mox Pearl, 1 Honorable Passage, 1 Mox Emerald, and 4 of every ante card to get your deck size large enough. Ask the opponent(s) if you are playing for ante. They will probably say no. You remove all of the "remove this card if not playing for ante" cards, leaving you with the seven named cards in your deck, which will end up in your hand, of course. You can kill an infinite number of players and survive, being at 1 life, by dealing 20 damage to everybody with the hurricane and preventing the damage to yourself with honorable passage. (assuming nobody has force of will or something like that...)

posted on Mar, 27 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
No, a Squirrel deck is annoying. To be killed by Squirrels, why I love it!

Friend killed me with one, then spent a good 100 dollars making one. Nothing more funny then some guy "I am undefeated, I conquer all!" losing to a Squirrel deck. Rats with fuzzy tails win!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join