It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RI-MAN care robot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
RI-MAN, a robot being developed in Japan.

The bio-mimetic control research center of RIKEN is promoting basic research on the flexible and dynamic motor functions of biological systems.
The goal is to create advanced engineering systems such as a soft human interactive robot.

RI-MAN exhibits the skill and ability to realize human care and welfare tasks. RI-MAN will become an invaluable partner robot.

BMC.Riken

I've seen articles about this robot on two other sites, and since this site does'nt provide al the info the other sites did I'll add what I've read elsewhere.

RI-MAN is a robot being developed to help take care of the elderly, it's body is covered with a silion based non-toxi safe-foam.
It has pressure sensors built into it.

These two things allow the robot to be careful enough to actually pick up a sleeping person and carry them to their bed.

The technology has other uses to, it could possibly pick up an injured person and carry them to a place that they will do better in until EMS can arrive.
It could also be adapted so that if a person becomes unconscious from smoke during a fire RI-MAN or the variant could carry the person to safety.

I don't remember the sites I read this on, I origonally heard about this robot in a science magazine by Writing teacher had out, the sites pretty much just mirrored what the article I read said.

I personally think this is prety cool and am interested to see the developments in this field of robot-human interaction.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 3/22/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I cought that same story on Technovelgy.com. That is pretty handy, but also kind of depressing. I'm picturing families not going to see Grampa because the robot will keep him company.

I wouldn't mind having one around the house; "RI-MAN, bring me to the bathroom! RI-MAN, wipe!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I knew this was going to happen one day - robots for the elderly.

Another machine for us to maintain.

Robot: I need energy. I need repair. I need upgrade. I need spyware removal.

Will the machine be serving us or will we be serving the machine?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
When I saw the pic the first thing that crossed my mind was Rosie, from the Jetsons. If they can get it to cook, clean house and do laundry i'll put my order in today

Wupy

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Will the machine be serving us or will we be serving the machine?

Depends, if you develop a robot that has limited intelligence and does'nt need alot of maintnance and stuff, than we'll be in control.

But when you put something like the "Terminator" in charge, well..those poor, poor old people.

[edit on 3/22/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
cool, but its just one more step on the long road to having a robot to every household.

I'm gonna guestimate that it will be around 25 years (2030) until that will be the reality.
This robot kinda looks like Rosie (The Jetsons).

top topics

join