It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq,Iran and North Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Can someone explain why we went and destroyed Iraq, who we knew had no nukes, and are planning to invade Iran, who might or might not have nukes, while all this time N. Korea, with there Asian Elvis look alike leader, are running around saying they have nuks telling us they want to use them and plan to use them.
Why are we so woried about the mid east isn't the real threat to North America running around in North Korea. Saddam was bad and even if Iran has nuks they could not reach us so why not wory about the threat that can get us in our own house?
Are we scared of them and there friends or is there more to it?
The way I see it we have so many men and women in the mid east we couldn't do a "hands on war" there, we would have to nuk them or have one massive air assult.
I just don't know why we didn't put N. Korea in its place sooner.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I wonder how old you are, but have you ever seen the catostrophic results of a nuclair missle, how many innocent people die, haven't heard of Nagasaki and Hiroshima?

It's not like 'my finger is on the button' and we've solved this matter... Besides, Iran isn't in the possession of a nuclair weapon, they are most likely building it by enriching uranium.

You can't compare the government of Iran with Iraq... Iraq wasn't a treat, as the US government knew there weren't any chemical weapons.
Iran in contrast is.

If the US decides to bomb their nuclear facilities, they'll start a war, and will most probably ally with Syria and other countries. (the start of the third wolrd war)

[edit on 22-3-2006 by Mdv2]

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Dont forget who helped N. Korea with

equipment to create a nuclear power station?

Donald Rumsfeld!!!!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jensen
Dont forget who helped N. Korea with

equipment to create a nuclear power station?

Donald Rumsfeld!!!!

Yes, same applies to Bin Laden in his war with the USSR, does it change the situation?

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yes I know what damage a nucluar bomb can do that is why I am asking why invade countries that don't have any nucluar bombs that can reach North America while all we do is tell N Korea "hey we have our eye on you." Slapping them with santions only hurts the average person not the government. Iraq with Saddam running the show was no threat to us here at home. But North Korea is that is the point i am trying to get across. I was for the war and know people there but I just can't undrstand why N. Korea is getting a free pass!!
Maybe I am just not seeing it right. I lok at it as who is a threat to me while I sit in my house!

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Remember North Korea doesnt have any oil !.

Also I think the west are playing it softly softly with North Korea because even the threat of sanctions or invasion could just provoke them to use a nuclear weapon either aimed at South Korea where there are still alot of US troops or Japan.

They are almost entirely isolated now as regards foreign relations, its only the Chinese who give them any time at all.

I'm sure that Korea is discussed alot in Washington and Europe but its all kept quiet unlike the problems with Iran and Iraq which are talked about openly.

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Remember that NK has stated that they can hit the West Coast of the US, so I would think that is why we have done nothing. Also, the Korean war never officially ended, there was just a cease fire, so basically, we are still at war with NK.

I also think China would be a little pissed to look up and see the clouds that would drift their way...

posted on Mar, 22 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Ok I know they have no oil but are we scared of them really shooting off some nucs or is all this mess in the world truly about oil. Canada has more than enough oil for North America in Alberta and Newfoundland and that is alot closer to home. Is there more to it or am I just reading to much into the whole thing.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I think the main difference between North Korea and Iran and Iraq is that Iran and Iraq have friends/allies ie the rest of the Arab world and maybe even China and Russia, North Korea really doesnt have any allies left apart from a little support from China.

Because of this they are paranoid that the rest of the world are against them. They really believe that they are right and the rest of the world wrong so because of this nobody can tell exactly how they will react if faced with the threat of invasion. They would likely fire of a nuc in panic.

I think alot is going on behind the scenes here but it is all being kept secret.

North Korea have nothing that the rest of the world rely on, ie oil so all they have to counter an invasion is the threat of nuclear strikes.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I think its inpart due to the fact that N Korea has enough conventional weapons to destroy Seoul S Korea (our ally) in a matter of hours. Remeber Seoul is only 31-50 miles, from the border. Well within North Korean artillery range of which N Korea has thousands of.

Some people estimate within the first hours of an attack, 300,000 to 500,000 artillery rounds could rain down on Seoul. That would be a firestorm of death for some 21 million civilians that live in the Seoul metropolitan area.

There could be massive civilian deaths for our ally in even a single day of coventional weapons combat.

Then there is the huge factor of China which is N Koreas main backer. You could argue N Korea is just a puppet of China. I wouldnt be smart to get into a land war with China.

[edit on 23-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Look at it this way. NK is not flying any planes into our buildings. They aren't threatening to cut off a much needed resource that our economy needs in order to run. They are isolated, with a populace that is starving. All they have is a blustery idiot for a leader, and a few n-bombs with questionable delivery mechanisms. Do they really pose a threat to us?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Look at it this way. NK is not flying any planes into our buildings. They aren't threatening to cut off a much needed resource that our economy needs in order to run. They are isolated, with a populace that is starving. All they have is a blustery idiot for a leader, and a few n-bombs with questionable delivery mechanisms. Do they really pose a threat to us?

Well said....I also believe there is a strategy in this, remember before the occuption of afghanistan or Iraq, it would be difficult to conduct an air war over Iran. well, with the exception of aircraft carriers in the persian gulf. This makes it much easier now that we can base troops and equipment in afgh & Iraq to attack Iran. NK can be assaulted from Japan and south korea.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Look at it this way. NK is not flying any planes into our buildings.

Iran and Iraq flew a plane into US buildings? I thought that was the Saudis. Come to think about it, why is there no uproar over the Saudis?

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Iran and Iraq flew a plane into US buildings? I thought that was the Saudis. Come to think about it, why is there no uproar over the Saudis?

Reading your post, one would get the idea that the Saudis sponsored 9/11. The leader of the 19, Mohammed Atta, was Egyptian. At least one other was from the UAE. Should we attack those countries also? Or should we look for the common denominator, which in this case was Al Qaeda, who hung out mainly in Afghanistan? I do believe we did something about Afghanistan.

The point I was making was "provocation". Other than bluster, NK has done nothing to provoke us.

posted on Mar, 23 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
North Korea is just about the most secretive country in the world.

Few westeners ever visit, so I dont think we know whats going on in that place apart from what we are told.

The population there seem to be behind the leader and system of government (maybe they are brainwashed), but I doubt whether they would feel that they were being liberated by any war to overthrow their leader.

For the moment, as long as they are left alone I dont think they pose any great threat to us.

I'm sure we are monitoring the situation.

FNF

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I can't believe you guys are missing out the obvious reasons:

Iraq: Invaded mainly for money reasons (such as arms trade and oil), but also to make up for Dad's mistake.

Iran: Tension because Iran wants the right to defend itself. Believe it or not, this isn't a crime. Why weren't India/Pakistan/etc invaded/threatened? Because they don't have vast supplies of Oil, and generally are friendly to the West.

N.Korea: No action taken because of mainly 2 things - 1. They are probably bluffing to recieve more aid like last time, 2. A war would be stupid for US as there isn't much to gain in terms of money, and also N.Korea can inflict heavy damage (as Shadow XIX pointed out).

Overall, the US policy is generally to fight battles which are economically beneficial, and believed to be win-able(?).

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
its simple really in theory

out of the 3, NORTH KOREA is the most formable
its military strength and arsenal "on paper" is far greater than, then what IRAQ could muster or had at the start of 03, on top of the fact that NK is located in a interesting position in the region, that would greatly make it difficult for "US war planners" to engage and conduct an military operation without far greater risks

in order words war in KOREA would not be a "cake walk" for the US, and that my friend is some thing the US can not afford to be caught up in. War would engulf the KOREAN peninsula and would quickly spread and escalate to new heights. If that wasn't the case then the outcome of the 1st KOREAN WAR would have turn out differently.

remember IRAQ's military strength was greatly weaken and devastated, left totally in disarray after the first conflict so really it could not defend itself or endanger its neighbors in a "true retaliation counter strike"

"on paper" the "US led coalition" had the "strategic advantage" to easily under taker, over throw and dismiss the former IRAQi regime out of power. Once a "US led puppet government" was installed and in place in IRAQ this would give the US the "key strategic advantage" that they have been wanting for quiet some time in the MIDDLE EAST right on the door steps over looking IRAN.

in order words taken out IRAQ(which was really no match for the US or serious threat despite the claims at the time) would greatly open the door for a "possible scenario" such as for "regime change" in IRAN.

the funny thing is that the US led invasion was a "military success"

the problem now
was the "arrogance" in which the US took, for some odd reason there wasn't a "true exit strategy" for the US for IRAQ nor a plan drawn up to content with the "X factors" that may occur afterwards pain and simple.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Why hasn't America attacked North Korea, and instead focused on Iraq and now Iran? Hmm. Lets see..

1. Iraq had no nuclear weapons, and no means to deliver them anywhere near the continental US, or the major economic powers.

2. Iran has no nuclear weapons, and no means to deliver them anywhere near the continental US, or the major economic powers.

3. North Korea probably has between 5-10 nuclear weapons. It also has the missile capability to lob them at Tokyo, Seoul, and probably the major West Coast Cities in the US.

Getting the picture yet? If you are given the chance between slapping someone who can only scratch you, or slapping someone who can give you a bloody nose, which are you going to choose?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Having served the Army for 2 years in South Korea, I learned that those kooky commies are not to be trifeled with. Thankfully, we just let them do what they want and thumb their noses at us. But if they feel backed into a corner for any reason, they will strike. Let me lay it out for you.
No more than 72 hours prior to a North Korean invasion, almost all of their communications will go silent.
Moments prior to their attack, yes, moments, radar and sattelites will see the north pulling mobile artillery out from hiding holes above the DMZ.
As the north launches its initial arty and conventional missile strike, they will blow the caps to several caves that run under the DMZ to reveal hundreds upon hundreds of tanks, trucks, and arty. Some of these caves are said to be within 10 miles of Seoul.
Our infantry and armor will attempt to spearhead into the North and route their attack. Most likely, they will either have to fall back or be destroyed.
Before we can perform an effective retalliation, the North will have pushed about half way down into the south, all in about 48 - 72 hours.
Thankfully, that is right about when their steam will run out. With reinforcements from other elements in the theater, we will be in a position to start pushing them back... provided they don't unleash chemical or nuclear weapons to prevent defeat.
Anyway, that's the briefing I got when I was over there.
Hopefully the North will not use WMD. They may not be the most brilliant people on earth, but they do know that 1) they want to re-unify with their southern brothers. 2) they need the resources.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
For one who served in Korea, you seem to have little confidence the joint defense of US and Korean forces. You seem to think there wouldnt be a contingency plan for such an attack to be mounted by NK. In fact, such an attack doesnt seem feasible, at best very risky. By that I mean, that these caves have the propor dimensions to even allow a tank to pass through at every juncture all the way from the DMZ to within 10 miles of Seoul. Doubtful my friend, very doubtful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join